Hello, fellow GMCers! It's that time of year again!
What time, you ask?
~ The "GMC Secret Santa 2016" time! ~
GIFT TRACKER PAGE
(See if your gift is ready and download from here on Gift Day.)
>>>> Sign-ups are now closed. <<<<
~ ~ ~
Time to make da gifts!
"GMC Secret Santa" is an event carried out each year where each participant makes some kind of a gift for a "Secret Pal". Then, by December 23rd all gifts are published for all participants to unwrap! Note, however, that the identity of your Santa will remain hidden - it's 'SECRET' Santa, after all.
(Feel free to check the last discussion topic as a reference for how things were done last year.)
Dude, it's only November 18th...
Yeah, I know, but why not? Let's get an early start! This way there's more time for GMC'ers to see this topic and you will have more time to put together a cool gift when the gifting starts. Or.... more time to procrastinate until the last minute! You decide!
How do I sign up?
Well, to sign up, you need to make a post in this topic before the 3rd of December, 0:00 GMT saying you want to participate. You may also state your gift preferences in that post, but be careful about being too specific - you wouldn't want to give your secret Santa a headache, now would you?
On December 3rd, I will make an announcement in this thread that the sign-up period is closed and I'll randomly assign "Secret Pal's" to "Secret Santa's" using the Alicination Method. Soon afterwards, you should get a message in your GMC inbox with the name of your "Secret Pal" and you can start making their gift.
Making the gift
After your "Secret Pal" is assigned, your Secret Santa present must be made and messaged to my GMC inbox before the 20th of December, 23:59 GMT.
Don't publish it here or PM it to your secret pal; it's supposed to be SECRET.
Do take into account your pal's preferences, but try to be discreet. Use whatever means you can devise to maintain your anonymity and keep your identity a secret from your "Secret Pal" as you research his or her preferences. However, sometimes it may be fun to leave little hints to your identity within your gift. Also, and this should go without saying, the gift you give must not be mean spirited, offensive or even break the GMC rules. Additionally, the gift must not be financial (Steam keys, program licences, cash bribes, etc.).
Examples/ideas of what you could make:
- a new avatar
- banners or promo images for their games
- music or sound effects for their WIP
- "Let's Play" videos of their games
- a simple game (made with GameMaker, naturally)
- a holiday video message
- desktop wallpapers
- your own idea here
If at some point you find that you can't make the gift after all (due to lack of time or random circumstances such as runaway trains or time travel misfortunes), please message me about it as soon as possible, and at least 5 days before the December 20th deadline! That way I'll have time to assign your secret pal to someone else.
Please be sure that you will be able to follow through with your obligation to create a gift. Reassigning Secret Santa's to Secret Pal's at the last minute doesn't always work out so well, as you might imagine.
By December 23rd, I'll gather all the gifts and publish them for your viewing pleasure (except for those that can't be published, for one reason or another). You're free to share your joy in this topic, comment on whichever gifts others posted here, or even try to guess your Santa. Keep in mind, however, that your Santa's identity may never be revealed.
In a nutshell...
- to sign up, write a post here before the 3rd of December, 23:59 GMT
- you can state your preferences in the sign-up post, but please, don't be too specific!
- after sign-up is closed, your "Secret Pal" name will be messaged to your GMC inbox; you will then have over two weeks to make the gift! (until the 20th of December, 23:59 GMT)
- once you make the gift, message it to my GMC inbox; don't send it to your secret pal or post it here, it's supposed to be secret!
- all gifts should be virtual, unless you want the expense of air-mailing a teddy bear to your secret pal
- when making the gift, try to think what your pal would want; also, the gift should not be rude, offensive, inappropriate, etc.
- finally, no financial gifts (Steam keys, program licenses etc.)!
- if you can't make your gift, please PM me as soon as possible and at least 5 days before the December 20th deadline, so that I can assign your secret pal to someone else.
- by the 23rd of December all gifts will be published here to unwrap (except for those that can't be shown here); then you may try to guess your Santa if you want
Participants so far (sign-up post link; gift preference)
- @Alice (post; no avatars or wallpapers)
- @Aura (post; no avatar, wallpaper, or poetry)
- @Barvix (post; anything but avatar)
- @Cat (post; no preferences)
- @chance (post; no preferences)
- @Cpaz (post; no preferences, maybe avatar)
- @Detective Pixel (post; something extremely weird, no avatar or wallpaper)
- @HayManMarc (post; a silly game, or anything but avatar)
- @JDSTIGER (post; no preferences stated)
- @Jobo (post; nice-looking, colorful, original avatar)
- @K-BitCRUSH (post; no avatar)
- @KingdomOfGamez (post; no preferences stated)
- @Llama_Code (post; anything, no preferences)
- @Lukan (post; no avatar)
- @Misu (post; anything but avatar or wallpaper)
- @Ninety (post; anything, no preferences)
- @rui.rosario (post; anything, no preferences)
- @RujiK (post; anything, no preferences)
- @sylvain_l (post; anything game dev related)
- @SyntheticStorm9 (post; good pictures or music, no avatars)
- @TheUltimate (post; no avatar or wallpaper)
- @trg601 (post; a small game, or anything)
- @Xor (post; anything, no preferences)
Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays to you all!
"Island of Misfit Fonts" font can be found here