GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 40 - 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL 🎉

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandpivot

Big thanks to everybody who ate their way through Me pARRty! A few notes regarding the playthroughs:
- There is no sprite stacking, it's all 3D-models. I initially wanted to do stacking but I was uncertain about how it would work performance-wise. It's also done in GMS1.4 so models were a hassle to handle.
- The food goes down really fast to match the amount of content in the game. If there was 4 times more content the food would drop 4 times slower.
- I've so far not seen anybody who've held a strict diet throughout the game. That speaks for something but I'm uncertain I would want to know what.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I'm wondering, if the voting period was extended by, say, a three days, how many people would be able to play through more entries or make their votes at all (or at least reach the review bonus threshold of 20 reviews and top 20 ranks)?

Now don't get me wrong, I know that
NOTE: There is no pressure to play all 77 games.
but at the same time votes where the author played more games should be more stable overall (there's less chance that they'll miss some amazing entry they'd otherwise rank at the top).

Also, it seems that a few voters would be willing to play as much entries as they can. Though at the same time, it's hard to tell how many more extra games people would play given three more weekdays (rather than a weekend).
(why they didn't play through all the entries earlier, then? They had their reasons, I suppose?)

So, I'm just curious, how many of you people would be able and willing to play through at least some more Jam games if the voting period was extended (compared to keeping the voting deadline as-is)?

--------------------

On a somewhat related note:

If some of you got Crimson Festival served by Jam randomiser, and then decide to leave it for last because it uses progress from other entries: please, please at least try it out before wrapping up your votes for good. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes for a full playthrough. You can even right-click on title cards to change game states and see how it looks with 100% complete games.

I just don't want a situation when someone gets my entry in a randomiser and then it turns out they didn't play it anyway, because they left it "for last" and that "last" never came to be.
If you didn't get Crimson Festival via randomiser in the first place, it's fine - I just want to avoid a situation when my entry is played significantly fewer times compared to others because people left it for later and then didn't get around to it.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Crimson Festival by Alice, FunkyPoop

I kept putting this game off because it says you have to play 9 other games first, which sounds interesting and unique. I thought maybe this was going to be a whole thing where the way you played the other games affects the gameplay in this one. But ok, it's just a collection of general references to the other games. Which is cool and all. It was cute.
For the record, the progress in other games *does* affect how Crimson Festival plays out; for example, if you don't complete Blackout there won't be anything played during music show, and if you don't complete it while keeping the Party Rat alive, the Party Rat won't appear on stage. You can right-click on title cards in the "Preparations overview" screen to cycle through completion states and try out different outcomes.

It does not affect the gameplay mechanics - the game still remains a simple point-and-click visual novel - but the progress in other games does affect the resulting dialogue and various character appearances. I picked the visual novel genre for this one because - while it might not be super-popular compared to more interactive genres - it allowed me to meaningfully incorporate other games progress into the game (especially the music show and dance party).

Within the Jam timeframe - and especially on my own (since FunkyPoop in the end dropped out, because we envisioned our cooperation differently) - an alternative would be something more interactive like, I dunno, dance type game (as if we didn't have enough of them already) with characters from other games as cameos, but for me this kind of inclusion would feel pretty cheap. What I aimed for was all the progress from other games to meaningfully contribute towards the ONE BIG PARTY, and I hope I achieved that.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
- I've so far not seen anybody who've held a strict diet throughout the game. That speaks for something but I'm uncertain I would want to know what.
I did, just to see what would happen. After the third time I started to wonder why we didn't check that other cabin more often since there always seems to be food there.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
🍋

Crimson Guild's Glamorous Guest List by Mr Magnus
I had a lot of trouble on this one and it's also bugged. Many times the descriptions did not match, and one time I even ended up with zero matches and it was on the last person, making me waste a ton of time for nothing. Due to the bugs, and people in the back being too small for the details required (checkered and striped were near impossible to tell apart), I'm sorry to say that I didn't enjoy it.

There are always matches. The list is generated by picking a number of persons from the crowd and describing them: so it is guaranteed that at least that for any given item on the list there is a person that will match because that person is where the description came from and will give the right answer. When it gets complicated the matches may only match one or two people, but there is always a person. However a lot of people confused the words "shirt" and "skirt" and other similar sounding descriptions, so if you feel you clicked on a person and the list didn't check off an item that's most likely because the person did not match in fact.

For the people in the back I provided a magnifying glass you can use with control or the right mouse button. The details are still often hard to make out, but with 4x zoom it's very possible. However I agree the back row is very tricky: I tried to minimize the number of times a person is picked from the back row if it then wasn't part of the description that the person is located in the back.

TehPilot

I'm a few days late to the draw on this one but I've updated the voting post with the last few playthroughs on stream. I've narrowed down my list to ~30 top games and I'm in the process of finalizing their ranking and writing the written component of the reviews. There are a lot of great games this jam, and I personally feel making a linear ranking is doing a lot of games a huge disservice - so I'm glad I chose the stream option and gave as many games as I could time and energy. I expect to have that list up... well, before the deadline!

Anyone is welcome to reach out if they want to get a more formal opinion in writing or discuss anything further.

I'm wondering, if the voting period was extended by, say, a three days, how many people would be able to play through more entries or make their votes at all (or at least reach the review bonus threshold of 20 reviews and top 20 ranks)?
This would do wonders for my stress level (and by extension, preventing a few more gray hairs from appearing). Even a single day would be appreciated immensely. Having two deadlines at the same time is rough!

You can't name the crewmates things like Cheeseburger Jones and then also give me the option to eat them and expect me to refrain. You just can't do that to me.

Micah_DS

There are always matches. The list is generated by picking a number of persons from the crowd and describing them: so it is guaranteed that at least that for any given item on the list there is a person that will match because that person is where the description came from and will give the right answer. When it gets complicated the matches may only match one or two people, but there is always a person. However a lot of people confused the words "shirt" and "skirt" and other similar sounding descriptions, so if you feel you clicked on a person and the list didn't check off an item that's most likely because the person did not match in fact.
Don't know what to say, except that I was able to reproduce it and record the issue. The last person does not seem to exist. Literally everyone fades away:
If they exist, the game faded them out too. I tried clicking a bunch on everything just to see if there is some kind of match some place, but it's a bit difficult to click everything.
I should note that in both cases where I faced this issue, I had switched on basically all the accessibility options. Most of the reason for that was because of me missing the magnifying glass.
1616359003184.png

For the people in the back I provided a magnifying glass you can use with control or the right mouse button. The details are still often hard to make out, but with 4x zoom it's very possible. However I agree the back row is very tricky: I tried to minimize the number of times a person is picked from the back row if it then wasn't part of the description that the person is located in the back.
Wow, upon opening the game again to record the above video, I now see the text on the bottom that tells how to magnify. I obviously missed that on my first play. My bad. That definitely helps a ton.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Don't know what to say, except that I was able to reproduce it and record the issue.
Interesting. Yes, that indeed is not right. I suspect that the issue would have been resolved had I had time to fade out any wrong answers instead of anyone not a direct target: which is a much better solution anyway because that shows everyone you could click on instead of forcing you to find the one person involved. I suspect the missing person is somewhere ever so slightly off screen or behind a building because I had a few issues with the back-side portals that transport people around. However props to you for finishing the 50 person search. As a very lackluster apology I'll manually add you to the fastest 50 with the time in the video. Sadly there isn't an in-game list for that achievement: only the aggregated statistics, but know you have a few kilobytes dedicated to you at a nondescript hard drive somewhere in my hosting service.

1616360871925.png

Last edited:

HayManMarc

So, do we have until the END of the 22nd, or is the deadline at the end of the 21st?
(I have tomorrow off and I could finish up tomorrow.)

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
The deadline is 09:00 UTC on the 22nd (just over nine hours from now) and I'm sorry but I will be keeping it that way - I have planned time for doing all the results stuff / wrapping up the jam in between the other things i'm currently juggling ;) we did have a week longer than usual to compensate for extra entries.

Don't feel under any pressure to vote for all 77 entries. Voting & reviewing for your top 20 will help your gang. You can finish up comments/reviews after the deadline and post them here for the creators to read. Votes after 20th are nice to have, but don't add much to a creator's score in the grand scheme of things, so don't work yourself ragged to get over the line!

Mightyjor

Now don't get me wrong, I know that

but at the same time votes where the author played more games should be more stable overall (there's less chance that they'll miss some amazing entry they'd otherwise rank at the top).

Also, it seems that a few voters would be willing to play as much entries as they can. Though at the same time, it's hard to tell how many more extra games people would play given three more weekdays (rather than a weekend).
(why they didn't play through all the entries earlier, then? They had their reasons, I suppose?)

So, I'm just curious, how many of you people would be able and willing to play through at least some more Jam games if the voting period was extended (compared to keeping the voting deadline as-is)?

--------------------

On a somewhat related note:

If some of you got Crimson Festival served by Jam randomiser, and then decide to leave it for last because it uses progress from other entries: please, please at least try it out before wrapping up your votes for good. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes for a full playthrough. You can even right-click on title cards to change game states and see how it looks with 100% complete games.

I just don't want a situation when someone gets my entry in a randomiser and then it turns out they didn't play it anyway, because they left it "for last" and that "last" never came to be.
If you didn't get Crimson Festival via randomiser in the first place, it's fine - I just want to avoid a situation when my entry is played significantly fewer times compared to others because people left it for later and then didn't get around to it.
My honest feelings about this are that I think if people had more days, they would just wait 4 days to do what they were going to do today. I doubt more people would have more review time during the week than the weekend. And seriously it’s been three weeks(I think?) I’m dying to see who won this and I’m too lazy to calculate the votes myself

@Mightyjor Not necessarily true. Dedicating that weekend to the jam, and then the day after to recover put me behind on other time-sensitive projects and social obligations. That was a major reason I wasn't able to start properly playing the jam games until a week ago. I'm now juggling some of these other commitments and pushing others back even more just so I can make sure I give the ranking and feedback proper time instead of being boring and smashing out a lazy top 20. I will be cutting it a bit close, since I still have a bunch to do and I need to eat soon.

HayManMarc

Well, I managed to get 35 games played, voted, and reviewed. Apologies to those I didn't get to. If you're needing more feedback (even if I have already played your game), just let me know in a PM. I'll do my best to play and review your game when I can.

And apologies to those I DID review! I realize how bad I suck as a gamer this jam, as there were games I struggled with but watched others play seemingly just fine in their recorded Let's Plays. So please, take my 'old fart' reviews with a huge grain of salt. :p

The M

Here is the final player count for Castle Meta, with those who beat it listed first:

Code:
*Y The M
*Y Moon
*R Alice
*Y Micah DS
*G Ghand
*R Siolfor
*R Pilot
*R Magnus stop crash

G Kiisu
G K
G Evanski
G evanski
G aspiringgamemaker
Y h
Y Tomas
R Bart
Y SP
Y ScaryPotato
R Ninety
G JP
G Dickbutt
Y j
G PixelTeamPat
Y Jay
G Jay
G Dan
R Mightyjor
Y Webb
R SilentxxBunny
Y SilentxxBunny
G GameDevDan2.0
R Thomas
R Tjp,as
R Three orange fish
R   Alice
Y Alice
Y   Alice
R Mercerenies
R Magnus
R Curato
R Rich
R Sir Average
G Buster
G Sir Average
R  Thomas
Y Wisebart
R Yoel
G Greenblizzard
R Magnus, the second
Y Magnus The Second
R Magnus (Post Crash
Y .
R ken
G Ninety
R mark
G O_Stogden

Hi winners,
as promised in the prize list the first 5 developer or team can send me a message with what console they have between Switch/XB1/PS4, including the region, and they will receive a game code.
Also we are evaluating the games to see and know if some of those could be extended for a possible commercial version.

Great job to every developer and keep making amazing games using Gamemaker Studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.