GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 40 - 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL πŸŽ‰

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
@Mercerenies Sorry, the controls in City Scuttler are a little archaic at times. XD To grab something, you press G and then press the number key that corresponds with the item you want to grab. In an actual roguelike, each item would usually be assigned a letter, rather than a number, but I didn't do it that way for some reason.
@Alice yeah, I'm familiar with that crash. It was a bug that I didn't have time to patch out because I had to upload the game. It's fixed in the post-Jam version I put in WIP.

Thank you both for your reviews!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Pixel-Team Thanks for the feedback! Just for the record, Greymoor Hall doesn't connect properly because its data is saved at the wrong location. Quoting from my reviews post on my entry how to fix it:
PS. If you can't get Greymoor Hall to connect - it's to be expected, because there was a mistake in where the game exports its metadata.
If you completed Greymoor Hall, just click on the file icon next to its title card, then pick metadata file from something like Jam40_redo_maybe. This file should interact correctly.

Ninety

All those experiencing trouble with my entry and the metagame will be pleased to know that my next jam entry will not have a save system, and that when I die, I will become Alice’s slave in the afterlife as punishment for this transgression.

OK. That's one 5 hour stream down. I'm a wee bit too wiped to scrub through the video myself and find timestamps for each entry, but here's a list in order of what I played today:

Color Splash by EvanSki
Escape of the Clowns by kburkhart84
Crimson Guild's Glamorous Guest List by Mr Magnus
The Annual GMC Party by O_stogden
Candle Wars by Yozoraki
Hero Huddle by ThinGinger
Jam Defenders by Kepons
Behemoth by sp202
Goin' All Nite by Dadio
Party Parade by Tristan
happy birthday by Yal
Party Pooper by Lukan
3 Mice In A Trenchcoat by Bart, TheSnidr, Xor, Naterboy
Jaguar Pogo Party by TotallyAverageGamez
Hero Horde by PinesOfChaos
Snake Dance by Greenblizzard

I'll be back again tomorrow around the same time.

Micah_DS

Man, I'd love to stream my playthroughs as well but my upload speed is 1.5 Mbps, and it doesn't even reach that most of the time. 😒

Anyway, 50 more games to go for me.
As usual, I'm waiting to post my votes until I've played everything. I thought I'd get through more over the weekend, but I'm spending about 30 minutes on a lot of these. Some games are just too long and others are just too hard for me to put down.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Just popping in to apologise to anyone who played my game and were hoping for... a game.
I honestly tried to make a game this time.
But I had almost no free time at all to do it.
(I never seem to these days...)

As outlined elsewhere in this topic the *idea* was:
A "Tamagotchi"
Meant to have a timer / days / weeks / months / years.
Keep it dancing by feeding pills. It will slow down without pills. It will eventually die without pills.
Yellow = good / happy.
Red = makes it angry - eventually punches the screen and game over.
Green = makes it feel sickly - eventually pukes all over the screen for game over.
Flashing pills = makes it mutate (extra arms / eyes / tentacles)
Pink pills = adds feminine traits (lipstick / eyeshadow / long hair)
Blue pills = adds masculine traits (tache / beard / big biceps)
A button to save off your current Lemon to upload to my site / gallery that displayed everyones monstocities all dancing up and down together at a big party.
That was what the game was *meant* to be.
Til I ran out of time around 1/10 the way through that stuff.
Sorry all!
Maybe someday!

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Attention Jammers!

There are 7 days left to play & vote in the GMC Jam 40 before the deadline on March 22nd at 9:00 UTC ⏰

Playing, reviewing and voting for 20 games will give your gang bonus points πŸŽŠπŸŽπŸπŸ‹πŸŽŠ

NOTE: There is no pressure to play all 77 games. Playing/reviewing/ranking just 20 games is enough to help your gang (and better for the final results than not getting many voters at all!)

Let's finish this party the way we started it... in style 😎

You can download all of the games at once, or individual entries, from the games topic here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gmc-jam-40-games-topic-enter-here.83982/

And you can post your votes and reviews in the voting topic here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gmc-jam-40-voting-topic-closes-march-22nd.84069/

I hope you enjoy the rest of the jam!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Pixel-Team I just played the post-Jam version and I liked it a lot; with all these finishing touches, things that were rather loosely linked finally came together (and there's actually the party!). Well done!

(also, I'm glad to see that one joke that fell flat for me in the Jam version was executed much better in the post-Jam version; it actually gave me a good chuckle)

Replaying the game, things I would have liked would be:
- charged shots, or at least hold-to-shoot scheme as opposed to press-to-shoot; the charged shots would pay even closer homage to Megaman (or at least Megaman X, since that's my main point of reference for the franchise)
- show where the boss targets the moment before shooting (as it is now, it fires a beam at a place I've been at recently, but there's no showing where the boss aims in advance)
- more variety to boss attacks in general

But yeah, glad to see the improvements to the post-Jam version; it does seem to better represent what you were originally going for when making this entry. ^^

Toque

OK. That's one 5 hour stream down. I'm a wee bit too wiped to scrub through the video myself and find timestamps for each entry, but here's a list in order of what I played today:

Color Splash by EvanSki
Escape of the Clowns by kburkhart84
Crimson Guild's Glamorous Guest List by Mr Magnus
The Annual GMC Party by O_stogden
Candle Wars by Yozoraki
Hero Huddle by ThinGinger
Jam Defenders by Kepons
Behemoth by sp202
Goin' All Nite by Dadio
Party Parade by Tristan
happy birthday by Yal
Party Pooper by Lukan
3 Mice In A Trenchcoat by Bart, TheSnidr, Xor, Naterboy
Jaguar Pogo Party by TotallyAverageGamez
Hero Horde by PinesOfChaos
Snake Dance by Greenblizzard

I'll be back again tomorrow around the same time.

Are they recorded? Able to watch? Link?
Thanks

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Thanks to a certain Jackal who now occupies 40% of the top ten list in my game I've seriously had to wrestle with the question if I should change the highscore API so that it only returns the top unique result for each player. I've decided against it for now, but that's a thing I wasn't expecting I had to think about when I first wrote the system, so that's a fun suprise.

1615821413455.png

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Thanks to a certain Jackal who now occupies 40% of the top ten list in my game I've seriously had to wrestle with the question if I should change the highscore API so that it only returns the top unique result for each player. I've decided against it for now, but that's a thing I wasn't expecting I had to think about when I first wrote the system, so that's a fun suprise.
everyone else will just have to get good won't they?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

View attachment 38879
everyone else will just have to get good won't they?

Wanted to confirm how the music in the last level synchronises well with the gameplay, and got all the cookies on the second run.
The music sync is a cheap trick really... it's because of the autoscroll! I just played the level a few times until the speed up trigger lined up with the music becoming more intense. Literally no coding with the music lol. Thank you for playing! You, like everyone else, struggled with the wall jumps. Biggest thing I'd change about my game for sure. As for getting all the cookies, at least you get.. bragging rights? With more time I'd have made a bonus level. Maybe I'll add one as a post-jam thing. Thanks again for the thoughtful feedback! and for the 4th place ranking! High praise!

My second stream is done, here's a list of the games I went through today: www.twitch.tv/videos/950431632

Party Animals by ScaryPotato, Kalzme
Party Puker by Ben Stitt
Party Guardians by StarDreamIX
Party Detective by Mercyssh
GreymoorHall by Ninety
Forty or the Modern Big Brother by SoapSud39
Party Animal by TehPilot, TheFugue
Emmy And Sal by Mercerenies
Queen by Toque
Demon Dance by Mightyjor, Twintertainment, Brett-Bit
Crimson Festival by Alice, FunkyPoop
Party Mountain by AJTheApple
Apocalypse party by aspiringgamemaker
Wastoid Rodney by Cloaked Games, JosephEllis, BlakeNorth
Adventures Of Robot X by Pixel-Team
Survival Party by HayManMarc
Plague Rats by Nocturne
The Matchmaker (HTML5 ONLY, OPEN FOLDER) by eimie
Christmas with Uncle Tom by BluishGreenPro
Me pARRty by ghandpivot
Extinction Tea Party by Moon Goat

I didn't save any time stamps, but when the streams are all down I will go back and mark them down and link them.
Also thanks to everyone who turned up, always makes it more fun for me.

Ninety

Having watched a few people play through Greymoor Hall (btw, there is a space in the middle there), it's becoming more apparent to me that my concept didn't really work out! That's okay, though. My idea was very vague and I lost a lot of time by completely restarting the coding halfway through the jam. It did get me somewhat acquainted with GMS 2.3 though, which is nice.

Some thoughts:

- I didn't want to front-load the game with a whole lot of instructions, but it seems like most people didn't really know what to do in their first attempt beyond killing the host, and were blindsided by the list of evidence they needed in the accusation phase. Only on restarting did they understand what they needed to do. Maybe the game needs an optional "info" button or something.

- There was a lot of stuff that I wanted to do which would make the game mechanically deeper, but which either didn't fit the scope of a jam game, or I ran out of time to make.

- In particular, I wanted guests' reactions to you to figure into the accusation phase (eg if you were seen snooping around, that would count as suspicion against you). Right now those ? indicators are purely cosmetic. Originally I planned that the round would only end when someone found the corpse, and that if you were seen alone with it, it would count heavily against you. But then you could also use this to your favour, because if other guests had seen someone else alone with the body, that person would be much more suspicious.

- I was also planning a more dynamic system for moving around, where you could distract NPCs with noises or lure the host away from the other guests. Stealth game stuff. Maybe Cluedo-style secret passages. I didn't get time for any of this.

- Ideally the accusation system would be more nuanced, too. I'm not sure how many people realised that the number of guests who can confirm or deny your accusation is based on how many people the accused talked to, so you're safer making the kill after the party has progressed for a little while. Obviously the dialogue is incredibly repetitive, so a proper dialogue system would be nice. I also thought about adding more detailed backstories, so for example, to "prove" that a relative was after the host's wealth, you'd need to establish that they were in need of money, etc.

- Originally there was supposed to be a lot of different stuff you could find by searching desks/bookshelves, not just the treasure. Letters from the host to guests hinting at backstories, maps to actually hidden treasure inside the mansion, etc. If something contradicted the case you were building, you could remove/destroy it.

- I thought about having to find and later hide a murder weapon.

Basically I'm dumb and was dreaming about making Hitman in GameMaker in four days. Anyway thanks for playing!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Just one thing I would like to point out, especially if some people participated in reviewing phase specifically to add reviewing bonus for their team:

You need to both rank and review 20 entries to contribute to the reviews bonus. Quoting opening Voting Topic post:
The winning gang will be determined by a combination of factors:
[...]
2. How many of their entrants/teams review and vote for at least 20 games
Just ranking top 20 won't be enough, there need to be at least 20 reviews, too.

This applies in particular to the votes of @Josh Chen, @Tristan and @BreakfastBoy - if you want your votes to contribute to your gang review multiplier, please provide some feedback to top 20 entries as well.
It doesn't have to be super-detailed; something like e.g. ScaryPotato's reviews will suffice, too.

(of course, all these considerations don't apply if you don't plan to contribute towards gang review bonus in the first place, but I hope you'll keep up the fight)

----------------------------------------

On that note, @Steelegms2: you roughly cover the reviews part but not the ranking part. The top 20 entries must be ranked in a strict order, rather than in groups of "no particular order".

Also, your vote contains two different ranks for "Hero Huddle" and for "Party Animal" (the latter having exact same reviews). To avoid misunderstandings like that, I suggest that you specify entries authors aside from the game title (e.g. "Candle by Steelegms2" rather than just "Candle"). With these duplicates, even the top 3 cannot be counted (with ambiguous "Hero Huddle" standing), let alone qualify for gang review bonus.

So please at least fix the duplicates, and if you want to contribute towards gang review bonus, please specify the exact order of top 20 entries instead of grouping them.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Post Mortem for my entry:

There really isn't anything I could have done to make this any better in the time frame. This is the most effort I have ever put into a jam - I spent all my free time on it over the jam weekend, I made all the graphics, the whole engine and even - for the first time ever - composed my own music from scratch for it! I'm super proud of this entry and what I achieved in the time frame allowed. Now, all of that said, if I had an extra WEEK there are obvious improvements which could have been made. Many of the characters' weight/power needs balancing (The "light" characters are nearly useless in the current build). The locations should have better scenery so that they are more interesting *and* better represent the jam games they are supposed to come from. Although the AI is quite good, the game would really be infinitely more fun with a multiplayer mode (4 players round a TV with a gamepad each would be ace). Lots of stuff I could improve with more time, but I honestly don't think I've ever tried harder than this in a jam so I'm happy enough with the result.

I was so close to finishing all the rest of the games in this one stream, but I had to call it. One more stream left I suppose!

Stream broke so there are two videos for this session
www.twitch.tv/videos/951675541
www.twitch.tv/videos/951853907

Party Paddles by Fusai
The Way Back To The Party by Noodlehead
Robot Surprise Party by samspade
R-pg-ING by Micah_DS
GMC Party Adventure by Imagine Galaxy
HealthBar by Fanatrick
matoset by Poizen
Fiesta Down by VinylFly
City Scuttler by Bearman_18
Dr Smiley's Brain Jam Party by Yal
The Retrieval by Dr Wolf
Need For Beats by Matharoo, BlaineTanuki, _aeternumgames
Roborazzi by Kultisti, Sulo
Castle Meta by The M
Survive the Party by Nejc Podlipnik
Life Party by Cat
Candle by Steelegms2
Wham Bam Dan Jam Slam by GameDevDan
Barry Bear's Birthday by Richerama
Your Brain On Party by thijsmie
One Big Political Party by Terminator_Pony
The Scattered Army by Sirham
dawg the party animal by NivesStudio
One Big Party by Gizmo199, shortbread
Jenka Dungeon by dosto, Reaktori, Riuku
GMC Fruit Salad Surfer by Yal
Crazy Waiter by Gatefiz, JP, Claire Dujardin, Benfik
The Party Must Go On by GVmG
Final Battle by Kahrabaa
Fantasy Strategy Clicker by Julien, Hyomoto
dumburk 9000 by Bret Hudson, Allen Webster, Jared Cohen

T

Tristan

If I got time ill write more reviews, but I can't promise anything. Some advise for the moderators for the next jam is let people know you could add a "readme.txt" to the game. If I would have known I would have put one in stating the game would go on forever... I had to cringe watching people stream and I was like, "Oh no they are going to go on forever in till they get ticked". Regardless I thank everyone for the honest reviews and good luck in the results!

TehPilot

My second round reviewing the games on Twitch is done. VOD link and timestamps in my voting topic post, as always.

I also don't think this will be a common problem for a lot of the reviewers, but I got Content ID flagged for the music in a game in my first session and that segment has been muted. Just a heads up if you're using a non-original music asset or a royalty-free one which has a non-commercial license; my stream's monetized and my commentary on the VOD is likely to get muted if that happens! I can look to doing local recordings or providing separate commentary sessions where applicable if it happens more frequently. The second batch appears entirely unaffected for now, at least.

The randomizer spit out my own game tonight and I did a little developer commentary for that segment if anyone wants to watch that as well. I covered a lot of the mechanics and talked about some of my design thoughts (and where I acknowledge a deficiency or mistake as well). I think it's pretty interesting!

Next stream will be Thursday night, similar time (~7:30/8pm EST start).

Toque

The games have been really good. I was thinking with so many entries we would play games where you question the creators psychological well being but there wasn't any crazy ones. People were really playing to win this......

ghandpivot

Wow making videos for these games takes forever, here's my first. Might be able to put one out for the rest of the games which I've played and recorded video for, though I work all week and through the weekend so it'll be tight.
I've updated my voting post with isch 40 games.

Toque

Wow making videos for these games takes forever, here's my first. Might be able to put one out for the rest of the games which I've played and recorded video for, though I work all week and through the weekend so it'll be tight.
I've updated my voting post with isch 40 games.
Don’t see ghandpivot on twitch. Is there a link?

Micah_DS

I just finished playing all of the games.

I still need to choose the best of's and go over all my comments though, so I probably won't get that done to post my votes until sometime this weekend. In any case, looks like I'm gonna make it! Whew! For a while there, I wasn't sure I could play through all of the games.

-
I've seen/heard only a little feedback for my R-pg-ING game so far, and it's pretty much what I expected. I knew the issues even before submitting the game, but knowing the flaws is only good if you have the time to fix them.
Also, if you think that last level is bad (and I agree it is bad), just know that there was something much worse that I spared you all from. I would call it the "Million Unseen Hell Holes" level. Oh boy was that fun.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The games have been really good. I was thinking with so many entries we would play games where you question the creators psychological well being but there wasn't any crazy ones. People were really playing to win this......
You clearly haven't played any of my entries yet :p

Toque

You clearly haven't played any of my entries yet :p
yeah happy birthday was borderline. But I would say dark more than psychotic. And you have a history of non psychotic. So a slight bias leaning towards sanity. Put that on a resume " a slight bias towards sanity".

I love the entries that make no sense. Are so out there you have no clue....... Well one or two of those......

Last edited:

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
πŸŽ‰ Last weekend to vote in the GMC Jam! πŸŽ‰

There are 77 fantastic party games to play, why not dive in and download them now?

Clash of Gangs reviews as it stands
Want to help your gang win the jam? Review & vote for 20 games to increase your gang's review bonus! Red gang has stormed into the lead as it stands, will that change over the next few days? πŸ‘€

🍎 - 33% - 1.33x Bonus
πŸ‹ - 10% - 1.10x Bonus
🍐 - 6% - 1.06x Bonus

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@ghandpivot: I noticed you updated your post with "All my votes" list, but the entries there are just listed in alphanumeric order and have formatting typical for reviews (which have this sorting) rather than full ranking.
Maybe you intended to post contents of [list] in the Full Ranking section instead (assuming you ordered the entries in Jam Player and wanted to export the ordering in that list)?

ghandpivot

@ghandpivot: I noticed you updated your post with "All my votes" list, but the entries there are just listed in alphanumeric order and have formatting typical for reviews (which have this sorting) rather than full ranking.
Maybe you intended to post contents of [list] in the Full Ranking section instead (assuming you ordered the entries in Jam Player and wanted to export the ordering in that list)?
You read it while it was work in progress, it takes literally an hour of work to rank 70+ entries 😌
It's done now!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
You read it while it was work in progress, it takes literally an hour of work to rank 70+ entries 😌
It's done now!
Ah, good. I wanted to make sure, since it wasn't immediately clear it's a work in progress (myself, I'd sort all these off-line before updating my post with finished votes).

I guess all that remains is to write short comments for your top 3 entries? As per voting topic rules:
The top 3 votes must also be accompanied by a short review of why you liked the game and voted for it (any beyond the top 3 do not need a review, but it is nice to have).
Otherwise, your vote might not technically count as valid (it's not guaranteed, but better safe than sorry). And with these top 3 short comments I think your vote would be eligible for Green Gang review bonus? Well done. ^^

The M

Once again I'm amazed by how good you all are. It was tough to rank these, but now my reviews are finally up! :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
dumburk 9000 by Bret Hudson, Allen Webster, Jared Cohen
[...] There also didn't seem to be a way to get more party members per night and I'm just not clicking through ~3000 days or so to get to 10k.
Don't worry, nothing really happens when you do reach the 10k quota. I checked.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Did you write a program to do it for you or are you perhaps somewhat insane?
Program? That would be overengineering!

...I placed a weight on a space bar and left it for a while when I wasn't using the computer (I think something around 2 hours, maybe?). I made sure not to skip the moment when I reach 10000 crewmates, so that I could properly see whether the message is different after reaching the requirement.

On that note, I also completed Fantasy Strategy Clicker. But only after Mr Magnus mentioned on stream how Shift+click counts as x10 clicks and Ctrl+click as x100 clicks. Also, in order not to get too depressed, I muted the ingame music and played aptly titled Hourglass Meadow on repeat instead (I only brought the ingame music back when I was about to fight the fourth and the last enemy army).

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Oh geez...that would have been nice to know...
I know, right?! This is such an important quality-of-life feature, and yet pretty much undiscoverable if someone doesn't have trained idle games intuition (Shift for x10 and Ctrl for x100 is a common convention there, apparently?).
This game in general omitted good-to-know information quite often (like, what specific buildings are before you buy them).

Status
Not open for further replies.