GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 40 - 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL 🎉

Status
Not open for further replies.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
It's pretty colorful! Needs more crazy stuff flying about all over the place tho
Well, there is always going boxes dropping...and in some levels the clown will be able to hop from springs(like classic Sonic games). Bet if I get time to polish I'll add some particles(maybe something like balloons and sparkly party stuff) that explode out of boxes when they get smashed by the heavier boxes.

HayManMarc

What are you all gonna do for music?
I almost always find some free music to use from somewhere. I'm just not very fast at music production. Heck, I'm not very fast at coding and art either. It's all I can do just to finish a jam game to a playable state. lol

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I guess it should be fine as long as coins *don't* hurt you and game speed *doesn't* change randomly.
*much more implementation later*

Okay, the experiment pretty much failed on a game-mechanical level... playing the game the way I intended is objectively worse than the dominant strategy
(playing it like normal tetris and avoid color matching entirely)
in terms of payoff/difficulty ratio. I'm just gonna wrap it up and release it as-is, because adding more game mechanics would just skew the balance even further away from what I wanted.

Derp. Well, the point of game jams is to try new and creative ideas and then just drop them if they don't pan out, so I guess at least I had a fun learning experience~

Gizmo199

That is very nice cute sprites! Well done you! 🐔
Well the character is a Kenney model and alot of it is just kit bashing primitives together so I can't take full credit. The animations were all me though! Probably put our own texture w/different character outfit on it later. Rn just a standard Kenney one. Haha

G

GVmG

now working on the graphics for the phone that will show the player what to get from the store, including the usernames of people and their team colors!

yall experimenting in the YoYoGames HQ kitchen? 👀

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
now working on the graphics for the phone that will show the player what to get from the store, including the usernames of people and their team colors!

Geez...I'm scared to ask what I may end up saying there....

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

If i am in the game, I want to say nothing but nonsense 24/7

G

GVmG

Geez...I'm scared to ask what I may end up saying there....
as long as i don't add pineapples, you should be fine :p

If i am in the game, I want to say nothing but nonsense 24/7
you're in as is everyone else i saw in the most recent team listings, will update them one last time before the final release.
it's actually picked randomly, each time a new item is picked for the player to find, it picks a random user to request it, and a random (loosely) fitting scenario (for example you'll never have someone claim they want to put a hammer on a pizza).

HayManMarc

Too quiet in here today. C'mon peoples! It's Screenshot Saturday! Let's see some progress reports! Woot woot! (Go yellow gang.)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I got a "I really had higher hopes for you"/encouragement PM so I've hacked together a SECOND entry! And I think I might have enough juice (ha ha) left for a third, so I'm gonna keep going until I faint from exhaustion for a second time this jam! (Which means I would've broken two personal records?)
1614482499059.png

Micah_DS

This
I started late, so it's all about the mechanics right now.

Confused? Good, at this stage, you should be.
Is now this
But there's still a ton to do, so I'm gonna stay off social media and everything and just focus.
Everyone is doing so incredibly well this time that I've gotta dig deep to try to keep up! That's not a bad thing - I'm super excited to play all the games, even more than usual! :D

I had to scrap my initial game idea due to tight time constraints (despite the limited scope of my game) and a waning motivation, so I was about to throw in the towel completely when I had a different, minimalistic idea which I could make from start to finish in one sitting. SNAKE DANCE, which is now playable, will be my entry:

(This is a classic super-rushed project where almost half the game logic is arbitrarily placed inside the draw event of one of the objects.)

For the remaining hours of the Jam, I'll just be an eager spectator. I see a lot of promising entries! Particularly cool to see the advanced 3D stuff being made.

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Did someone say "advanced 3D stuff"?

1614497454224.png

(Let's just say being able to churn this thing out so quickly was only possible because I happen to have a 3D engine lying around... and I still feel burned out after working on this thing for 4 hours after already having worked on my second entry all night)

Poizen

I have uploaded my game. It's not perfect but I had fun making it and I hope people have fun playing it. 🍋

I might have made it unnecessarily difficult to "beat" the game, but beating the game is kinda optional.

Gizmo199

There should be a Gizmo handicap. Gizmo starts ten rankings down before counting. Just kidding. I love that and cant wait to play it. I assume yellow chickens are going to be eaten?
Haha. Thanks! Most of it is pre-made stuff. This has been more of a challenge for me to actually make a 3d game barring models. All of @shortbread stuff is orignal for the most part but I'm not that good yet. Haha. And actually ALL of the chickens except red will be eaten! :p

HayManMarc

If anyone is done and wouldn't mind helping me, I could use a hand finding a few sound assets for my game. (I'm at work, won't be able to finish my entry until T-8 hours to deadline).
Specifically, I need a small crowd murmur sound and a large crowd murmur sound. A crowd applause/party sound. Then whatever other sounds you might think would work (if you take a look at the video I posted). Sounds for pickups and stuff.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

G

GVmG

i might finally be able to submit to a gmc jam lmao

only happened a couple times before, i always join and either lose steam or get screwed over last second.

but ye, final stretch now, i need to find a couple sound effects and a track (and then tweak it so it sounds like it's playing in a mall), and also tweak the level you play in.

T

Tristan

I wanted to join the game 2 weeks ago, made the mistake of join at the last minute...
But were is the blue gang? Here it is! :)
But why is it sticking to the one side......

Status
Not open for further replies.