GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 40 - 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL 🎉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Whoa! If they get the download from the link in the topic, that means when they download the game, they will always get the absolute latest, and not necessarily the version of the game at the time of submission. Is that correct?

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Whoa! If they get the download from the link in the topic, that means when they download the game, they will always get the absolute latest, and not necessarily the version of the game at the time of submission. Is that correct?
Well that's true but there's been nothing to stop people doing this in any previous jam if they choose to download from the topic instead of using the randomiser (which, judging by post formatting in the voting topic, some people still choose to do)

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Wadaya mean?
If they download all games from the zip, they get the games at the time of submission. If they download them from where people post their games, these can be updated after the deadline. Personally, I'm all for allowing some minor bugfixes here and there, as long as the game doesn't contain any new content that drastically changes their entry.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Well that's true but there's been nothing to stop people doing this in any previous jam if they choose to download from the topic instead of using the randomiser (which, judging by post formatting in the voting topic, some people still choose to do)
If they download all games from the zip, they get the games at the time of submission. If they download them from where people post their games, these can be updated after the deadline. Personally, I'm all for allowing some minor bugfixes here and there, as long as the game doesn't contain any new content that drastically changes their entry.

the randomizer could just check the time of file uploads and refuse to download any file uploaded after the jam time

Director_X

So what time zone time 0:00 does this competition actually start? I am on GMT time zone.

Also, do we NEED to download the "launcher" randomizer software in order to download/play/rate the games? What if its glitchy on our OS? Is there an alternative?

I have posted the code I promised a little while ago! This is the WIP CG_Modules library, which includes a collection of general code that is useful for every GameMaker project. Mostly this is the sort of stuff that I am usually copy-pasting from other projects every game jam, and I was tired of doing that.

I am offering this code for FREE for jam participants during the duration of the jam. You can download the modules here: CG_Modules.
So far this includes a dialogue/textbox system, gamepad/keyboard input system, general math, and general randomization functions (plus a weighted list implementation).
I had more planned but I, unfortunately, do not have time. I'm sure I will expand this code-base and continue to offer it for future jams.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
the randomizer could just check the time of file uploads and refuse to download any file uploaded after the jam time
I don't think this is possible to automate... metadata differs between file hosts and might or might not be available, and you're not guaranteed Unix time stamps containing the file's original inception (Windows sets the "created" / "last modified" time to whenever a file was downloaded)

So what time zone time 0:00 does this competition actually start? I am on GMT time zone.

Also, do we NEED to download the "launcher" randomizer software in order to download/play/rate the games? What if its glitchy on our OS? Is there an alternative?
You can download the ZIP file with all the entries, or manually go through the games topic (once Dan posts it) and pick out the entries you want.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Well, the parts for my computer were supposed to all be here by now. XD
I guess if worst comes to worst, I can run Windows 7 in a virtual machine, but I really don't want to have to mess with that.
(For context, I bought a new PC because the Windows installation on my current one is fubar, can't connect to the internet, and nothing has fixed it. The parts were supposed to arrive before the Jam, but now I'm not sure they'll get here in time.)

Oh, and I'm working most of the Jam, so yeah. I'm gonna have to think a really awesome game with a really, really narrow scope and simple execution. This will be a true test of my imagination. XD

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I don't think this is possible to automate... metadata differs between file hosts and might or might not be available, and you're not guaranteed Unix time stamps containing the file's original inception (Windows sets the "created" / "last modified" time to whenever a file was downloaded)

You can download the ZIP file with all the entries, or manually go through the games topic (once Dan posts it) and pick out the entries you want.
I meant for like itchio it has time stamps of when the file was uploaded to the site

Micah_DS

As always, I'll be starting late. I wasn't lucky enough to get work off, so I'll have about 2 jam days free. Expect no exceptionally creative or involved game from me. I'm going pretty straightforward with the theme.

Too bad. I really wanted to create a virtual arcade where you compete against GMC members high scores across various arcade games. I wanted to have everyone in the arcade as NPCs as well, like they're having a party. Not a very clever use of the theme, but it would've been fun. In any case, not enough time for that.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Well, the parts for my computer were supposed to all be here by now. XD
I guess if worst comes to worst, I can run Windows 7 in a virtual machine, but I really don't want to have to mess with that.
(For context, I bought a new PC because the Windows installation on my current one is fubar, can't connect to the internet, and nothing has fixed it. The parts were supposed to arrive before the Jam, but now I'm not sure they'll get here in time.)
NEVERMIND.
All of my parts arrived all at once, hell yeah!

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
As always, I'll be starting late. I wasn't lucky enough to get work off, so I'll have about 2 jam days free. Expect no exceptionally creative or involved game from me. I'm going pretty straightforward with the theme.

Too bad. I really wanted to create a virtual arcade where you compete against GMC members high scores across various arcade games. I wanted to have everyone in the arcade as NPCs as well, like they're having a party. Not a very clever use of the theme, but it would've been fun. In any case, not enough time for that.
Same here man. That really sucks, your idea sounds so sick.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
A trello board has been put up, a very rough design document drafted, energy drinks and snacks ordered, and currently trying to finish the last of my time consuming obligations before tomorrow. I've not been this excited for a jam in years.

Hopefully that will result in me actually making something good for once!

D

Deleted member 45063

To be fair even entries executed from the ZIP archive supplied could theoretically update their game in the background by downloading newer content, having a launcher that updates the game seamlessly, etc. So if someone really wanted to be "dishonest" to the point of improving their submission after the deadline there would be several ways in which they could do it.

To be fair even entries executed from the ZIP archive supplied could theoretically update their game in the background by downloading newer content, having a launcher that updates the game seamlessly, etc. So if someone really wanted to be "dishonest" to the point of improving their submission after the deadline there would be several ways in which they could do it.
Personally, I think this is all in good fun, and I doubt someone wants his/her jam-winning signature or a Creator License that bad. And if they do, well, tell me about that: motivated futur devs! 😂
Much rather have an updated game in there than an infinite loop or a memory leak, honestly!

Mr Magnus

Viking King
And really, given that this is a community jam with so lose boundaries (we've often allowed people a bit of flexibility to fix game breaking errors before) most people do play by the rules. While it's not universal most people will find it much less fun to cheat because for a lot of people the "competition" aspect of the jam isn't the big bit - making something worthwhile in a short amount of time is.

However in case someone wants to hear it and happens to be American:

If you cheat at a low-stakes community event you are not the person Mister Rogers knows you could have been.

Replace with culturally relevant figure from wherever and whenever you are.

D

Deleted member 45063

I don't expect someone to actually do something like this, I was just pointing out that using download links from the entry does not bypass the updateability of the entry post-jam, so there is no good reason not to choose that option if one so prefers

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
In the interest of full disclosure, if I see a bug in my game after I submit, I can't help but to fix it. But I'll definitely hold off on posting major improvements (if any) until after judging is over.

And Mr. Rogers is my hero.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
So... is "The Big Party" the theme? Or am I missing something?
One Big Party is the theme, which was revealed early because Dan made it a bit too easy and everyone was correctly guessing it. A secret theme nearly everyone knows is not much of a secret.

However the jam doesn't officially start until tomorrow morning, so you can't start until then.

Planning - yes.

Making stuff - no.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
You have NO idea how nostalgic you've just left me and how I wished I had GM8 right now to create a game for the jam in it!
There will come a time where a Jam theme will arrive where I'll actually have something resembling a reason to use one of these things instead of literally any other version of GameMaker. That time probably won't come for a while, but when it comes I will be ready.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Why would you want an old er version of game maker?
Isn’t there more features in newer versions?
50% for the nostalgia, 50% to be true to the artform of making a thematically appropriate game in an engine I would have used for that game back in the day, 100% for the bragging rights of making my life harder by using outdated technology when there is nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Team standings update.
If I missed someone, please let me know, because among Jam hype reaching its peak it becomes harder and harder to find posts related to team allegiance. ^^'
Code:
Red                     Green                   Yellow
---                     -----                   ------

Alice                   ghandpivot              The M
Mightyjor               woodsmoke               Toque
Gizmo199                Greenblizzard           HayManMarc
Nocturne                matharoo                ChessMasterRiley
Mercerenies             GVmG                    SoapSud39
Bart                    Pat Ferguson            pixeltroid
Dr. Wolf                EvanSki                 NAL
kburkhart84             Lukan                   dadio
Xor                     Kepons                  Yal
Yozoraki                Cloaked Games           GMWolf
Roldy                   VallejoCustomGaming     Rui Rosário
TheSnidr                RichHopefulComposer     sylvain_l
RekNepZ                 Chasersgaming           SamBean
mr magnus               aspiringgamemaker       BretHudson
TWebberX                garrlker                Fanatrick
Lumenflower             O.Stogden               kalzme
Cat                     JosephEllis             ceaselessly
Posh Indie              Director_X              Micah_DS
Siolfor the Jackal      ChrisC                  Sk8dududu
curato                  Slow Finger             Poizen
mp                      BluishGreenPro          ScaryPotato
CrunchCaptain           biyectivo               bandman28
TehPilot                Blake                   Josh Chen
Stellar                 Steelegms2              zenousX
DanDeMedicMan           Mercyssh                samspade
FunkyPoop               MatthewPattel           Sirham
ghlossa                 maartenvt               Spider__
GrizzliusMaximus        Bearman_18              nevercade
shortbread              Terminator_Pony         Fernando Gonzalez
AJtheApple              VinylFly                Roa
Shadyman                                        NoodleHead
Ninety                                          Carbsta
TotallyAverageGamez                             
2Dspessman                                      
SilentxxBunny                                   
JordanOttesen                                   
Brettbit                                        
ThinGinger

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Where did you get this?
It was a joke I made at the beginning when this topic was opened.

I'll go with the purple gang, long live nonconformity!

View attachment 37097

I'll have to make sure I'm not doing anything that weekend, has it really only been ten years since the first jam? I feel like it was entire lifetimes ago.

Me being the ever wise-cracking contrarian decided that it would be funny to not pick a gang like a normal person and instead join a completely fictional purple gang. So with all the tiny graphical skills I could muster I took the logo of one of the other gangs, colored it purple, and drew a very round looking passion fruit.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Looking for a teammate

I'll be making a music-oriented game which will need to have a few unique party-ish tracks (non-retro). If anyone here is interested in making the music, hit me up :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.