GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 40 - 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL 🎉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Director_X

Hey all, I am wanting to participate solo but my strong suits are Animation and Audio. I am familiar with a game engine posted and was wondering if I could use it/are others ok with that?
We're all pretty much solo here - ofcourse you're welcome to participate - AS LONG AS the game is made with Game Maker (and not any other engine). You can do your anims/audio in any software you wish.

Sirham

With this gang talk going on I have to stick with my roots.

I've been working on a game that has used all sorts of different ideas. Like an internal code parser and animated text. So I have been sharpening my skills and I hope to put out a real banger this time around instead of saying "I can't make that idea because I have no idea how to make it".

Also, H Y P E

ChrisC

Any programmer want to collab? I do art and I have a box but I have not once put it on my head while thinking.

example of my work
ttps://youtu.be/bsre7rS4lAo
ttps://youtu.be/01rrI3bX8Pw

you'll have to add the h at the beginning of the link becuase i didnt want to clutter the thread with embedded videos.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Code:
Red                     Green                   Yellow
---                     -----                   ------

Alice                   ghandpivot              The M
Mightyjor               woodsmoke               Toque
Gizmo199                Greenblizzard           HayManMarc
Nocturne                matharoo                ChessMasterRiley
Mercerenies             GVmG                    SoapSud39
Bart                    Pat Ferguson            pixeltroid
Dr. Wolf                EvanSki                 NAL
kburkhart84             Lukan                   dadio
Xor                     Kepons                  Yal
Yozoraki                Cloaked Games           GMWolf
Roldy                   VallejoCustomGaming     Rui Rosário
TheSnidr                RichHopefulComposer     sylvain_l
RekNepZ                 Chasersgaming           SamBean
mr magnus               aspiringgamemaker       BretHudson
TWebberX                garrlker                Fanatrick
Lumenflower             O.Stogden               kalzme
Cat                     JosephEllis             ceaselessly
Posh Indie              Director_X              Micah_DS
Siolfor the Jackal      ChrisC                  Sk8dududu
curato                  Slow Finger             Poizen
mp                      BluishGreenPro          ScaryPotato
CrunchCaptain                                   bandman28
                                                Josh Chen
                                                zenousX
                                                samspade
                                                Sirham
                                                Spider__
Yellows are pushing even further ahead... is it because lemon-flavoured things are that good? ^^'

HayManMarc

Yep, yellow is just that awesomely awesome. Sorry red and green. You're great, just not as awesomely awesome as awesome yellow. It's okay tho.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Code:
Red                     Green                   Yellow
---                     -----                   ------

Alice                   ghandpivot              The M
Mightyjor               woodsmoke               Toque
Gizmo199                Greenblizzard           HayManMarc
Nocturne                matharoo                ChessMasterRiley
Mercerenies             GVmG                    SoapSud39
Bart                    Pat Ferguson            pixeltroid
Dr. Wolf                EvanSki                 NAL
kburkhart84             Lukan                   dadio
Xor                     Kepons                  Yal
Yozoraki                Cloaked Games           GMWolf
Roldy                   VallejoCustomGaming     Rui Rosário
TheSnidr                RichHopefulComposer     sylvain_l
RekNepZ                 Chasersgaming           SamBean
mr magnus               aspiringgamemaker       BretHudson
TWebberX                garrlker                Fanatrick
Lumenflower             O.Stogden               kalzme
Cat                     JosephEllis             ceaselessly
Posh Indie              Director_X              Micah_DS
Siolfor the Jackal      ChrisC                  Sk8dududu
curato                  Slow Finger             Poizen
mp                      BluishGreenPro          ScaryPotato
CrunchCaptain                                   bandman28
                                                Josh Chen
                                                zenousX
                                                samspade
                                                Sirham
                                                Spider__
Yellows are pushing even further ahead... is it because lemon-flavoured things are that good? ^^'
Nah...it's cuz they want to attempt to compete with the quality of the Crimson Guild using quantity....uuuuhhhh....them's fightin' words 😅 😅 😅 😅

Don't shoot my guys, I'm just hyping up and having fun!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I have already applied for days off for the duration of the jam, so chances are I'll do something for the time allotted. But the "gangs" model really breaks my usual model of participation (and maybe some others as well), and I hope my point of view gets taken into account for future jams.

One major difference between me and most other people I have seen in the jam is that I have a completely non-committal model to participation. I solo every entry, and I post only when I am done. I have 4 incomplete entries and 1 incomplete review that have zero public evidence in the form of "reserved posts", and I am better off for it. They are not at a point where they are useful for public feedback, and even better, I have sole accountability for my actions or lack thereof.

Aside from the skewness in team distribution and concerns about review bias, the "gangs" model also forces the committal participation that I aim to avoid. Not only do I have to choose sides ahead of time, I also have to commit work of uncertain outcome to that side with little margin.

Has this perspective been considered while devising the "gangs" model, and for this iteration in particular, is choosing a side mandatory?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
We'll see about that: less than 10 days now!

I suspect it's the fact lemons need so much else to be good. Nobody here eating raw lemons, it's always with something added, so they need the extra people!
This....plenty of people eat Red Meat all alone though!!! And what about BACON!!!! You can't beat the BACON argument!!!!!

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I have already applied for days off for the duration of the jam, so chances are I'll do something for the time allotted. But the "gangs" model really breaks my usual model of participation (and maybe some others as well), and I hope my point of view gets taken into account for future jams.

One major difference between me and most other people I have seen in the jam is that I have a completely non-committal model to participation. I solo every entry, and I post only when I am done. I have 4 incomplete entries and 1 incomplete review that have zero public evidence in the form of "reserved posts", and I am better off for it. They are not at a point where they are useful for public feedback, and even better, I have sole accountability for my actions or lack thereof.

Aside from the skewness in team distribution and concerns about review bias, the "gangs" model also forces the committal participation that I aim to avoid. Not only do I have to choose sides ahead of time, I also have to commit work of uncertain outcome to that side with little margin.

Has this perspective been considered while devising the "gangs" model, and for this iteration in particular, is choosing a side mandatory?
You make valid points honestly. I'm assuming that even if you choose a side ahead of time, nobody is going to get upset if you choose to not participate the whole "hyping up" of the team, and if you generally just roll your own thing going. I would be extremely surprised if you were the only one to do so, as plenty of people are in a similar situation without knowing how much they will even be able to properly participate. Many of us are adults after all and have other life obligations.

Mr Magnus

Viking King

You're completely free to ignore the gang aspect in its entirety since it has *no* affect on the jam other than encourage hyping each other up. The entering, reviewing, voting, and tallying of votes is entirely unchanged. We're still individuals participating in the jam as induviduals (or teams). What other people in the apple gang do won't (necessarily) affect me or my entry. I don't even have to have the color red anywhere in my game!

The only thing that changes is that now there is also a "winning gang" based on the average performance of the individual entries among the competing gangs. You're not penalized for not choosing a side or only doing it as a surface gesture, and even the "reward" the winning gang gets is bragging rights and smug superiority.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
As far as I know, the gangs thing is a one-time thing for this very special 10-year anniversary 40th Jam.
Also, you don't need to choose a gang to participate, and having a few entrants who don't pick either side is actually expected to an extent. These entries just won't contribute for the whole battle-of-the-gangs thing, while still taking part in the main competition.
That's what I recall from talking with @GameDevDan, but I tagged him so that he can officially confirm/correct that information.

Toque

The gangs are more to foster friendly teasing and add a team spirit to the jam. No one will care if someone joins a team and does not submit a game. There is no expectation of quality.

Job , health, life etc happens and should take precedence over Jam if your on gang green or red.

I don’t want anyone not to join if they think there is expectations other than having fun.

Any programmer want to collab? I do art and I have a box but I have not once put it on my head while thinking.

example of my work
ttps://youtu.be/bsre7rS4lAo
ttps://youtu.be/01rrI3bX8Pw

you'll have to add the h at the beginning of the link becuase i didnt want to clutter the thread with embedded videos.
you can embed them in SPOILERS thing

We could even have a "Daltonian" team which could hold all game entries that are not part of an team. Maybe, the "no team" team could win, after all?!? 🤔

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Lets give TheMemer a trial run. :)

using this dictionary

? ? E ? I ? ? A ? T Y

aaaaaaand less then hopeful results.

credibility
elegibility
flexibility
inedibility
poeticality
predivinity
sheriffalty
specificity

:D

@GameDevDan didnt update the front page, T_T

sheriffalty

So currently TheMemer can only handle single words
If the theme was a single word it would get every possible word that fits with the given words

So this means 1 of 2 things!
1.The theme is 2 or more words
2. The word is not in my dictionary

Im pretty sure its 2 words

Last edited:
Which leads to my question: if it's two words, where is the space?
Like it basically has to be right after the I, right? Is there a four letter word such that A _ T Y ?
And if it's five letters maybe it's PARTY or PATTY.

S

SamBean

Is there a resource for game jam submission expectations and etiquette? Like what goes in the 'read me', what is acceptable to prepare before the jam, what all should be submitted?

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Addressing your points in yellow in this quote @FrostyCat

The "Gangs" mechanic was introduced for this jam to spice it up & make it a special 10th anniversary spectacular. I had no plans to make it permanent, although it's not completely up to me. Everyone can have their say on that.

Aside from the skewness in team distribution and concerns about review bias,

Votes in this jam will be counted exactly the same as the previous jam. Reviewers vote for the individual entries they want to win / in the order they liked them. There will be an individual winner as usual.

The gang score is something I count up afterwards based on how well each gang's entries performed among voters from the other two gangs. The votes they give members of their own gang won't count towards this "gang" points total, which will be made clear in the voting topic. There is no incentive to vote for members of your own gang out of self interest, people will be encouraged to vote as "normally" as possible.

the "gangs" model also forces the committal participation that I aim to avoid. Not only do I have to choose sides ahead of time, I also have to commit work of uncertain outcome to that side with little margin. [...] is choosing a side mandatory?

You do not need to pick a gang, you can be neutral!
Is there a resource for game jam submission expectations and etiquette? Like what goes in the 'read me', what is acceptable to prepare before the jam, what all should be submitted?
There are previous games topics you can check for the rules: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-gmc-jam-39-games-topic-enter-here.81247/

There are no guidelines for what you put in a readme though.

--

? ? E / ? I ? / ? A ? T Y

Last edited:
THE PIG PATTY?? I guess this confirms the sacred, unspoken rule that the theme of every 40th jam must be a disc shaped food item. Let me spare you all much trouble and already now predict PIZZA as the theme for the 80th GMC Jam.

N

NoodleHead

How do you join the game jam and do I have to have the latest update of gamemaker?

Mr Magnus

Viking King
How do you join the game jam and do I have to have the latest update of gamemaker?
On the 25th, the start of the jam, Dan will open a "ENTER GAMES HERE" topic. All you have to do is make a game with GameMaker: Any version of GameMaker, upload it somewhere, and then create a post about it in that game topic.

N

NoodleHead

On the 25th, the start of the jam, Dan will open a "ENTER GAMES HERE" topic. All you have to do is make a game with GameMaker: Any version of GameMaker, upload it somewhere, and then create a post about it in that game topic.
Thanks alot!

G

GVmG

serious guesses:
The Big Nasty-> villainous focus
The Big Party -> 10th year anniversaryyyyyy let's gooooo that's what i've been waiting for

less serious:
The Dig Hasty -> underground cave system setting :eek:
The Pie Tasty -> yum
The Pie Salty -> who mixed sugar and salt again?
The Pig Farty -> ew
The Pin Nasty -> what if a sewer used a whoopie cushion for their pins?
The Tie Party -> sneak into a party wearing a bowtie while everyone wore a normal tie, to avoid the embarrassment
The Die Patty -> probably what led to the creation of the mcdonalds ds game
The Lie Farty-> who did it? wasn't me.
The Lit Party -> heck yeah dude 420 amirite
The Win Party -> woooo world champions
The Fin Party -> End of the Jam *Komm, Süsser Tod starts playing*

Last edited by a moderator:

ghandpivot

1st word:
age, ape, are, ate, bye, cue, DIE, due, eye, FOE, ice, lie, ONE, SEE, she, THE, tie, USE.

2nd word:
aid, AIM, air, BIG, DIE, dig, fit, FIX, gig, him, hit, kid, kit, lie, mix, oil, pig, pit, rip, sin, sir, sit, six, tie, til, vip, WIN,

3rd word:
fatty, hasty, nasty, panty, PARTY, patty, pasty, salty, tasty

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
1st word:
age, ape, are, ate, bye, cue, DIE, due, eye, FOE, ice, lie, ONE, SEE, she, THE, tie, USE.

2nd word:
aid, AIM, air, BIG, DIE, dig, fit, FIX, gig, him, hit, kid, kit, lie, mix, oil, pig, pit, rip, sin, sir, sit, six, tie, til, vip, WIN,

3rd word:
fatty, hasty, nasty, panty, PARTY, patty, pasty, salty, tasty
I've got it!

ONE BIG PANTY

Status
Not open for further replies.