GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 40 - 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL 🎉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I'm sort of tempted to turncoat into Team Red since I'm currently in a major bloodborne obsession and I could do something blood-themed instead of something apple-themed, but I also really hate Apple and don't want to give off the appearance that I support their products. Hmm, decisions.

lemons still are objectively the best fruit tho
the pain makes me actually feel something
You can mix the two by making a very grotesque beast apple infected by the old blood. That way you can pay homage to a great game *and* depict apples as the savage beasts they are.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

At this point in time, I'm gonna say game jams and I don't match. I'm more concerned about gettings right thangettingthingsfast, and I'm no TheSnidr! However, in that vein, I hereby offer this prize to the entrants who place 4th–6th (at my discretion): my proofreading/copy-editing services for their next projects (within reason) for free. $:^ ] (These do not count toward my "first three requests" promo, either.) Now go win win win! er, uh, have fun out there, folks. $:^ P

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
At this point in time, I'm gonna say game jams and I don't match. I'm more concerned about gettings right thangettingthingsfast, and I'm no TheSnidr! However, in that vein, I hereby offer this prize to the entrants who place 4th–6th (at my discretion): my proofreading/copy-editing services for their next projects (within reason) for free. $:^ ] (These do not count toward my "first three requests" promo, either.) Now go win win win! er, uh, have fun out there, folks. $:^ P
Does this also apply to poor students working on a BA thesis in a language you most definitely do not speak?

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Does this also apply to poor students working on a BA thesis in a language you most definitely do not speak?
Glad you asked, Mr. Magnus! Step right up, here; step right up.

Since my linked main-info-post titled...
Stop the Typos! Professional English Copy Editor
...says...
  • Is English your second language?
  • Is English your first language, but you lack time and/or ability to catch and/or correct errors?
I'm most familiar with modern American English, but I dabble in other colours of the language, too.
Call to Action:
Start a Conversation with me as soon as you decide your 2019+ video game has outgrown its 1985 Engrish.
...I answer, suuure! I can still proofread/copy edit/etc. your English projects! I do not discriminate against poor students working on BA theses in languages I most definitely do not speak (nor write for that matter). $:^ D $:^ D

pixeltroid

• You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.​
Regarding this, is it okay to use an existing prototype for the Gamejam?

By this, I mean I have a bunch of prototypes where I've already worked out the mechanics. When the jam starts I'll take a prototype and apply the game jam theme to it, make relevant graphics and story, and create the jam game within the allotted time frame.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Regarding this, is it okay to use an existing prototype for the Gamejam?
If the prototype is basically a completely finished game engine I'd frown on it a little. But the truth is none of us ever know if other entrants made the game before the jam or not - it's about what you feel comfortable entering I guess. Say to yourself "Did I really make this for the jam?"

Also as @The M said, if you do use assets from before the jam it would be nice to make this information available to voters.

pixeltroid

If the prototype is basically a completely finished game engine I'd frown on it a little. But the truth is none of us ever know if other entrants made the game before the jam or not - it's about what you feel comfortable entering I guess. Say to yourself "Did I really make this for the jam?"
I don't have any fnished game engines. They're just project files where I've worked out basic mechanics like movement and interactions. Once the theme becomes clear, I will definitely add to it.

Edit: I wanna know if its ok to take one of those prototypes and start adding stuff to it when the jam starts.

Toque

I don't have any fnished game engines. They're just project files where I've worked out basic mechanics like movement and interactions. Once the theme becomes clear, I will definitely add to it.

Edit: I wanna know if its ok to take one of those prototypes and start adding stuff to it when the jam starts.
As long as most of the game is made during the jam I’m good with it. How do you learn without trying stuff out? So unless your really experienced you have to follow tutorials or make prototypes.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
yellow red blue
Genwunner detected!

The japanese version of Pokémon Blue actually was called Pokémon Green and featured Venusaur, I guess they changed it in the west solely because a turtle with guns would be more popular in the US than a giant frog. So red-green-yellow actually is more correct to the original...?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Genwunner detected!

The japanese version of Pokémon Blue actually was called Pokémon Green and featured Venusaur, I guess they changed it in the west solely because a turtle with guns would be more popular in the US than a giant frog. So red-green-yellow actually is more correct to the original...?
Actually the Japanese green version was the latest and most stable so they took that one and gave us red and blue from that, then Pokémon yellow was to force Pikachu into out house as a mascot for Pokémon

curato

Genwunner detected!

Never was into pokemon as such. I was talking about my profile pic.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
It's great that not only do all three gangs currently have an even-ish number of members, but each has some former winners too! Should be a fair and interesting clash of gangs...

But also I'm super excited for the usual individual aspect of the jam! Hopefully we'll see lots of fun games :)

I'm curious to see if there will be any kind of trend in game content from the different gangs -- if there's any correlation at all between choice of colour and the game's reflection of the creator's psyche.

Now I have a couple more theme guesses:
COMBINATION
FLEXIBILITY
But I suspect a sneaky multi-word theme 🤔

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Those are the alignments I got so far. Almost even now. If I missed/mistook someone, please let me know (and point out to wherever that person pledged their allegiance).
Code:
Red                     Green                   Yellow
---                     -----                   ------

Alice                   ghandpivot              The M
Mightyjor               woodsmoke               Toque
Gizmo199                Greenblizzard           HayManMarc
Nocturne                matharoo                ChessMasterRiley
Mercerenies             GVmG                    SoapSud39
Bart                    Pat Ferguson            pixeltroid
Dr. Wolf                EvanSki                 NAL
kburkhart84             Lukan                   dadio
Xor                     Kepons                  Yal
Yozoraki                Cloaked Games           GMWolf
Roldy                   VallejoCustomGaming     Rui Rosário
TheSnidr                RichHopefulComposer     sylvain_l
RekNepZ                 Chasersgaming           SamBean
                                                BretHudson

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
if there's any correlation at all between choice of colour and the game's reflection of the creator's psyche
Well, so far there seems to be a pretty clear aligment correlation: red is lawful, green is neutral, and yellow is chaotic.

Also green appears to have the longest average gang username length, not sure if that has a correlation with either alignment or color or if it's just a fluke.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Those are the alignments I got so far. Almost even now. If I missed/mistook someone, please let me know (and point out to wherever that person pledged their allegiance).
Code:
Red                     Green                   Yellow
---                     -----                   ------

Alice                   ghandpivot              The M
Mightyjor               woodsmoke               Toque
Gizmo199                Greenblizzard           HayManMarc
Nocturne                matharoo                ChessMasterRiley
Mercerenies             GVmG                    SoapSud39
Bart                    Pat Ferguson            pixeltroid
Dr. Wolf                EvanSki                 NAL
kburkhart84             Lukan                   dadio
Xor                     Kepons                  Yal
Yozoraki                Cloaked Games           GMWolf
Roldy                   VallejoCustomGaming     Rui Rosário
TheSnidr                RichHopefulComposer     sylvain_l
                        Chasersgaming           SamBean
                                                BretHudson
You're missing @RekNepZ from Red who are on 13 members
I was missing ChasersGaming from Green when I counted
But afaict we both counted Yellow right :D

Mr Magnus

Viking King
You know what? I was going to wait for a while and join the team with the fewest members, but screw it: I make *great* apple pies but only moderate lemon squares and decent pear tarts so I'm going to join gang red.

May you other fruits tremble before our sweet apple bites!

Status
Not open for further replies.