Former Jam Host
ONE BIG PARTY
What is this?
The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community.
This is the 40th such jam, marking the 10 year anniversary of the 1st ever GMC Jam.
Members will compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 96 hours.
GMC Jam 40 will take place on the following dates:
February 25th, 2021 12:00 UTC - March 1st, 2021 12:00 UTC
- Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game.
- Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on February 25th and 12:00 UTC on March 1st, and posted in the games topic.
- You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.
- You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!
- All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 12:00 UTC on March 1st.
- All entries should work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5 and on other platforms, but most voters will be using Windows and therefore your entry should work primarily on windows in order to secure a decent amount of feedback.
- All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!
- You may create your entry alone or as part of a team. If you're looking for teammates, try asking in this topic or joining the GMC Jam Discord.
Clash of Gangs
For this jam only, to celebrate the GMC Jam's 10 year anniversary, we're introducing the Clash of Gangs!
In addition to the usual individual prizes, we're encouraging you to choose a gang and support your fellow gang members during the jam.
Gangs will receive points based on where their games place on average among other voters, and you'll also receive points for playing & reviewing the games.
Which gang will you choose: the Reds , the Greens or the Yellows ?
Choose now and start organising with other members of your gang! We've even got signatures and avatar borders for you to wear with pride:
GMC Jam 40 Images
- As soon as the Jam ends on March 1st at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.
- Voters will then have just over 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on March 22nd at 9:00 UTC.
- Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.
- Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.
- NEW: In addition to the usual rules above, the three rival "gangs" of GMC Jam 40 will receive points based on where their games finish in each reviewer's rankings, plus points for voting & writing reviews - the gang with the most points will be the winner.
- You should vote for individual entries as normal without worrying about which gang the developer is in, as votes for your own gang won't count towards your own total.
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!
- The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.
- The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalised banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.
- YoYo Games have kindly offered a prize pool of 5 GameMaker Studio 2 Developer Licenses, worth $99 each!
- This will go to the top 5 entrants, which may include several members of a team - we'll figure out any weird edge cases if and when we bump into them.
Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @GameDevDan , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam.
- @Cloaked Games - I offer three copies of The Last Librarian, one for the highest-ranking game of each gang!
- Second, this is less of a prize and more of a bet, I will change my profile picture to the color of the winning gang, so I hope green wins!
- I offer early access to my WIP GML library, CG_Modules, which can be downloaded here: CG_Modules during the duration of the jam. This is general-purpose code that is useful for any new GameMaker project, especially game jams.
- @Rui Rosário - One of: A DLL with source code, a GML extension/module, refactoring of an existing code module, Java based custom tooling, generic developer time (can PM for dev experience details). Offer redeemable until the topic for the next GMC Jam is created. For the entrants in 8th and 17th, as well as the entrants who finish 10th among each gang.
- @7 Raven Studios - The first 5 classified games will get digital codes for our console game released: for Switch (4 games) XB1 (3 games) PS4 (1 Game) - They can choose for which platform get the code. One more thing, is the opportunity to get evaluated for a possible publishing of their products.
- @ghandpivot - I'll give a random steam key to each person in top 10 that decides to claim it.
- @Fanatrick - Top 3 contestants in each of the teams will receive a license to my anti-cheat toolkit for a total of 9 licenses given.
- @Moon Goat - I want to give away a free copy of my asset, Don't Starve pseudo 3D, to the top 5 winners of the Jam!
- @ParodyKnaveBob - To the entrants placing 4th–6th (at my discretion), I offer my proofreading/copy-editing services for their next projects (within reason) for free.
- @Micah_DS - For the game that wins 'Best Use of Theme', I will give the most special in-depth review that I can muster.
- @Fredrik - I can give away three Steam keys to my dungeon crawler 'Moor' made in GMS 1.4 to the top 3 finishers
- @JordanOttesen - To the top 3 developers, I'd like to offer my expertise in user experience to develop and conduct play tests (questionnaires included) for any 1 game they're working on. I'll find 3 testers based on their target audience (or use participants they select) and provide a detailed report on the test findings to recommend design decisions for their game moving forward. - example from portfolio
- @dadio - 500 fonts, commercial use licenses, to every entrant.
- @Bart - I will make a piece of music, to be used for any purpose, this time for the runner(s)-up i.e. for all members of the entry/team that ends up in second place (max 3).
- @Director_X - I'd like to offer to the overall 5th, 15th, and 25th place winners the following: * Video editing services for videos/cutscenes content that needs to be edited for ONE game (You provide the 1920x1080 videos, any music, and dialogues as needed). * Photoshop photo-editing and maniplulation services for any posters/adverts/banners/etc - for ONE game (You provide the images of your content as needed). Limitations: This offer comes with the a "reasonable" time & content LIMIT. (ie it cannot go on indefinitely, and I cannot be swamped with a thousand images/videos requests. I retain the right to terminate this offer any time I feel that limit has reached.
- ...no more prizes, why not submit one?
Share The Jam
The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!
You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam: