Not open for further replies.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

THEME:

πŸ₯³ ONE BIG PARTY πŸ₯³

ENTER HERE

What is this?

The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community.
πŸŽ‰ This is the 40th such jam, marking the 10 year anniversary of the 1st ever GMC Jam. πŸŽ‰

Members will compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 96 hours.

GMC Jam 40 will take place on the following dates:

February 25th, 2021 12:00 UTC - March 1st, 2021 12:00 UTC
(Countdown Clock)

Taking Part
  • Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game.​
  • Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on February 25th and 12:00 UTC on March 1st, and posted in the games topic.
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.​
  • You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!​
  • All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 12:00 UTC on March 1st.​
  • All entries should work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5 and on other platforms, but most voters will be using Windows and therefore your entry should work primarily on windows in order to secure a decent amount of feedback.​
  • All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!​
  • You may create your entry alone or as part of a team. If you're looking for teammates, try asking in this topic or joining the GMC Jam Discord.​
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Games Topic when it opens!

πŸ’₯ Clash of Gangs πŸ’₯

For this jam only, to celebrate the GMC Jam's 10 year anniversary, we're introducing the Clash of Gangs!

In addition to the usual individual prizes, we're encouraging you to choose a gang and support your fellow gang members during the jam.
Gangs will receive points based on where their games place on average among other voters, and you'll also receive points for playing & reviewing the games.

Which gang will you choose: the Reds 🍎, the Greens 🍐 or the Yellows πŸ‹?

Choose now and start organising with other members of your gang! We've even got signatures and avatar borders for you to wear with pride:

GMC Jam 40 Images

Voting
  • As soon as the Jam ends on March 1st at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.​
  • Voters will then have just over 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on March 22nd at 9:00 UTC.​
  • Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.​
  • Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.​
  • NEW: In addition to the usual rules above, the three rival "gangs" of GMC Jam 40 will receive points based on where their games finish in each reviewer's rankings, plus points for voting & writing reviews - the gang with the most points will be the winner.​
    • You should vote for individual entries as normal without worrying about which gang the developer is in, as votes for your own gang won't count towards your own total.

That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!

Prizes
Main Prizes
  • The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.​
  • The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalised banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.​
  • YoYo Games have kindly offered a prize pool of 5 GameMaker Studio 2 Developer Licenses, worth $99 each!​
    • This will go to the top 5 entrants, which may include several members of a team - we'll figure out any weird edge cases if and when we bump into them.
Community Prizes

Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @GameDevDan , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam.
  • @GameDevDan - The top three winners will receive a bunch of games from my studio, Chequered Ink.​
  • @Gizmo199 - I wanna give away a free copy of my asset 3SeqsD to the top 3 winners of the jam!​
  • @Cloaked Games - I offer three copies of The Last Librarian, one for the highest-ranking game of each gang!​
    • Second, this is less of a prize and more of a bet, I will change my profile picture to the color of the winning gang, so I hope green wins!
    • I offer early access to my WIP GML library, CG_Modules, which can be downloaded here: CG_Modules during the duration of the jam. This is general-purpose code that is useful for any new GameMaker project, especially game jams.
  • @Rui RosΓ‘rio - One of: A DLL with source code, a GML extension/module, refactoring of an existing code module, Java based custom tooling, generic developer time (can PM for dev experience details). Offer redeemable until the topic for the next GMC Jam is created. For the entrants in 8th and 17th, as well as the entrants who finish 10th among each gang.
  • @7 Raven Studios - The first 5 classified games will get digital codes for our console game released: for Switch (4 games) XB1 (3 games) PS4 (1 Game) - They can choose for which platform get the code. One more thing, is the opportunity to get evaluated for a possible publishing of their products.
  • @ghandpivot - I'll give a random steam key to each person in top 10 that decides to claim it.
  • @Fanatrick - Top 3 contestants in each of the teams will receive a license to my anti-cheat toolkit for a total of 9 licenses given.
  • @Moon Goat - I want to give away a free copy of my asset, Don't Starve pseudo 3D, to the top 5 winners of the Jam!
  • @ParodyKnaveBob - To the entrants placing 4th–6th (at my discretion), I offer my proofreading/copy-editing services for their next projects (within reason) for free.
  • @Micah_DS - For the game that wins 'Best Use of Theme', I will give the most special in-depth review that I can muster.
  • @Fredrik - I can give away three Steam keys to my dungeon crawler 'Moor' :) made in GMS 1.4 to the top 3 finishers
  • @JordanOttesen - To the top 3 developers, I'd like to offer my expertise in user experience to develop and conduct play tests (questionnaires included) for any 1 game they're working on. I'll find 3 testers based on their target audience (or use participants they select) and provide a detailed report on the test findings to recommend design decisions for their game moving forward. - example from portfolio
  • @dadio - 500 fonts, commercial use licenses, to every entrant.
  • @Bart - I will make a piece of music, to be used for any purpose, this time for the runner(s)-up i.e. for all members of the entry/team that ends up in second place (max 3).
  • @Director_X - I'd like to offer to the overall 5th, 15th, and 25th place winners the following: * Video editing services for videos/cutscenes content that needs to be edited for ONE game (You provide the 1920x1080 videos, any music, and dialogues as needed). * Photoshop photo-editing and maniplulation services for any posters/adverts/banners/etc - for ONE game (You provide the images of your content as needed). Limitations: This offer comes with the a "reasonable" time & content LIMIT. (ie it cannot go on indefinitely, and I cannot be swamped with a thousand images/videos requests. I retain the right to terminate this offer any time I feel that limit has reached.
  • ...no more prizes, why not submit one?​

Share The Jam

The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!

You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam:

Signature Image:

BB Code:
Code:
[url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gmc-jam-40-10-year-anniversary-special.82693/][img]https://i.imgur.com/ehu2Aug.png[/img][/url]
Or grab the signature that matches your chosen gang here

- Dan

Last edited:

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Damn, this one feels early! Not sure which gang to choose...
Opening the hype topic 2 weeks earlier than I usually would - a bigger jam calls for more HYPE TIME πŸ₯³

But the actual jam itself is the same sorta time as usual ⏰

Meant to say in the main post, if you don't fancy changing your signature or avatar completely you can always add a wee emoji to support your team πŸŽπŸπŸ‹!

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Time to dust off my rusty GM skills. I'm so out of the loop by now -- when did the jam extend to 96 hours?
A few jams ago now - it even got extended to 10 days at one point! (we decided that was a little too much).

Btw all: I will start revealing theme letters at some point. What do you reckon - should the first person to guess it correctly win their gang a bonus point? πŸ˜‚

Gizmo199

Yay!!! So excited! I'm actually planning out time for this jam so I won't have work! I wanna give away a free copy of my asset 3SeqsD to the top 3 winners of the jam!

Edit: also I feel like green is my colour but red is looking a bit empty so...

RED GANG BABEEEEEEEE

Last edited:

sylvain_l

Is it just me or part of the rules feels a bit unfair.
You should vote for individual entries as normal without worrying about which gang the developer is in, as votes for your own gang won't count towards your own total.
isn't that pretty demotivating... Seriously if making the effort of voting, only gives points to the 2 enemy gangs, what's the point of voting ?!? kinda means the easiest way is for all members of my gang shouldn't vote to secure an easy win. o_O :D

Gizmo199

Is it just me or part of the rules feels a bit unfair.

isn't that pretty demotivating... Seriously if making the effort of voting, only gives points to the 2 enemy gangs, what's the point of voting ?!? kinda means the easiest way is for all members of my gang shouldn't vote to secure an easy win. o_O :D
I guess they could deduct points from your gang per team member that doesn't vote but that doesn't really seem fair either. Any suggestions?

I think overall it's a good faith thing.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I guess they could deduct points from your gang per team member that doesn't vote but that doesn't really seem fair either. Any suggestions?

I think overall it's a good faith thing.
Could just make the whole voting stuff separate, like you have the jam as normal, the gang team winner, then the gang voting

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I'm pretty sure the gang score will be adjusted by the number of votes received.

So if e.g. 10 people from Green, 7 from Red, 5 from Yellow and 3 unaligned cast their votes, then:
- total score of Green gang will be divided by 15 (7+5+3)
- total score of Red gang will be divided by 18 (10+5+3)
- total score of Yellow Gang will be divided by 20 (10+7+3)

Not sure if this will be a straight-up division, but I'm certain the varying numbers of both gang entries and gang-including votes will be accounted for.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
what's the point of voting ?!
The fact that this is a light-hearted community event where everything's made up and the points don't matter. Additionally the *average* total is what matters, it doesn't matter how many of your gang vote, it'll all come down to the same result.

It's the same reason why people vote despite it technically always counting against your own entry who you cannot vote for: it's a lot more fun to play and vote for the games than it is to sit on the sideline and hope you'll get 18th place instead of 19th. Voting is a net positive in your life compared to not voting, because if everyone else is voting then your non-vote isn't going to do a lot to alter the results to any maliciously significant degree.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Voting will work completely as normal: you vote for your favourite games and the best games will win!

Then gangs will be awarded points based on how popular their games were among the other two gangs. This has to be the way it works or everyone would just vote for their own gang :p

But - as said in the OP - each gang also gets bonus points for voting. So voting actually helps your gang - it doesn't put you at a disadvantage.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Team groups so far...

Code:
Red                 Green               Yellow
---                 -----               ------

Alice               ghandpivot          The M
Mightyjor           woodsmoke           Toque
Gizmo199            Greenblizzard       HayManMarc
Nocturne            matharoo            ChessMasterRiley
Coded Games (?)     GVmG                SoapSud39
                    Pat Ferguson
                    EvanSki
(note: Coded Games mentioned considering team Red in Discord server, but didn't confirm)

I wonder how teams will shape from there...

(everyone is welcome in TEAM RED, by the way)

Moon Goat

It's been so long since I've done this...

I may not be able to participate (a lot going on right now), but if I did, I would have no gang.

I want to give away a free copy of my asset, Don't Starve pseudo 3D, to the top 5 winners of the Jam!

Mercerenies

Yeah so far TEAM RED seems to have the most promising cast. I'll throw my hat in with them.

My Windows dual-boot fried a bit ago, and I've been limping by on a VM since then. It's really a horribly slow setup, so I'm hoping to get my old tower set up with Windows soon. If I can get that up and running, I'll be at 100% capacity for the February Jam!

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
WOOT!!! The madness begins!
Imma enter this time.
Hard to believe it was 10 years ago that I was kicking up a fuss about YoYo ending their official Jams...
I'm digging the new Team thing!
πŸŒžπŸŒΌπŸ‹
Hmmm... I'll go for LEMON YELLOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.