GMC Jam Results GMC Jam 37 - Results!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff

All medals for all participants are available HERE
They are available in both 120px-tall versions (suitable to use directly in signatures) and 240px versions.
Also, for games with best-of awards there are versions with a rank, a best-of and both.

Full Rankings

1. System Purge by Jacob V, Lipton, GreenWyvern
  2. Crash FM by Mark Lohmann, Matteo Karkazis, Kyon Edelenbosch
  3. Who Killed Mr. Tibbles? by Team Flob
  4. Killer Shark '77 by Yal
  5. The Cat in the Room by Käsityökerho
  6. Homebound by The M
  7. They Know How To Love by Mrs. & Mr. Lumenflower
  8. Shibboleth by Dickson Law
  9. A Night Flight by Kerry
  10. FAZIL by Cloaked Games, Joseph Ellis, FAZIL
  11. Arbitrary by Feather Dreams
  12. You Will Talk by Siolfor the Jackal
  13. Squinty and Pasty by Team Ubihard
  14. The Box of Schrödinger by ghandpivot
  15. Balls to the wall by Gizmo199
  16. Know Dungeon by Micah_DS
  17. Escape From Trivium by Nejc Podlipnik, Spartan
  18. Master Key by Poizen
  19. Listen to Me by AJTheApple
  20. What's Doggo Got!? by KooKooKachoo
  21. Gravity Chicken by Royce Leeman
  22. TsundereSim by Chico Perez
  23. The Shade by Orange Crow Studio
  24. Overdue by Relic, zacharyandrews
  25. Scraps by Terminator_Pony
  26. Fog of War by iChunkiMunki
  27. You are my ability by Daan Didden
  28. Growing Up by Mercerenies
  29. Elementary by Sirham
  30. Re:Story by IRON Games
  31. Murder At Lansbury by KPJ
  32. The Fate of the Earth by Team Kaboom
  33. Doggy's Garden by klys
  34. Slime Time by Shadow_Lancer, Cowsox
  35. Temple of Truth by Bart
  36. Dr. Swiss 4 by HayManMarc
  37. Drug Dealer Simulator by Kantros
  38. Agent37 by nut4985
  39. Where? by deepfry3
  40. IT HUNGERS by Pat Ferguson
  41. It Knows by woodsmoke
  42. Tony knows by MikeTheScrivener, Toque
  43. Mr. Zoomie's Escape by Team Zoom
  44. The world knows something Baby don't by lalileloluly
  45. Shadow Hall by the friendly potato
  46. Intruder Alert by pikachurian
  47. Shadow Realm by Braydee Johnson
  48. Decisions by Pinkuchu
  49. Impossible Ping by Cat
  50. RPG Level Editor by PancakesYum
  51. Detective Ghost by d4 Studios
  52. Unlawful Blobs by Bansai

Awards

Best use of Theme:
Who Killed Mr. Tibbles? by Team Flob
The Box of Schrödinger by ghandpivot

Best Concept:
Crash FM by Mark Lohmann, Matteo Karkazis, Kyon Edelenbosch

Best Presentation:
System Purge by Jacob V, Lipton, GreenWyvern

Best Story:
A Night Flight by Kerry

Best Devlog:
They Know How To Love by Mrs. & Mr. Lumenflower
FAZIL by Cloaked Games, Joseph Ellis, FAZIL

Results Spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wIvsUuSqhFOUw3yBMTYC2KN_ifidkW1Mn9bWbYdBOhU/#gid=698136323
(you can see best-ofs breakdown near the right end of the spreadsheet)

Last edited:
I like how you used my real name! I Know I placed my full name at the end of the game but I don't recall putting my nick name. Did I write it somewhere?

Gizmo199

Congrats winners!!! I hate I didn't get to finish my reviews. :( Had like 20 games left but life happens. :(( Looks like my top 3 (so far) won anyway. Yay! Congrats everyone!!!! Making a game in 4 days is hard regardless so even if some of the newcomers or newer game devs didn't place in the top keep trying and hope to see everyone again in 3 months!!!!!! :D

HayManMarc

Everybody off the Hype Train, we've arrived at Congratulations Station!

Great job to the winners!! System Purge is simply fantastic, Crash FM is a perfect storm, and that potato game was something else! :p

All the rest were great in their own ways, at least in one way or another. Playing and reviewing games is a bit of a chore for me, but I was pretty happy with the experience this time. This is a great community as shown by this jam and its participants and I'm so glad to be a part of it.

But it can't all be love and kisses! I am compelled to say this: For the sake of Overmars, please, PLEASE, use user input to advance text messaging in your games! "Press SPACE to continue." or something similar. Its so frustrating when I can't read the entire thing before it goes away. When it happens, my patience is cut thin, and the rest of the game is hard to enjoy.

Just my 2 cents. kluvubye.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I like how you used my real name! I Know I placed my full name at the end of the game but I don't recall putting my nick name. Did I write it somewhere?
It's in your Games Topic post.
After getting most of the ratings done, I went through Games Topic to see how exactly developers called the authors/team and the game. If the post contained something like "Game by Real Name (Nickname)", I assumed the "Real Name" (being used first and not put into parentheses) is the preferred form. Also, I used "Game" part for game title. I also went through this process to ensure that the original spelling will be preserved (e.g. having specific non-latin letters or filename-unfriendly characters).

There were a few more complex cases; also, in Crash FM medal I shortened the authors names to first names; the credits part would get pretty long otherwise, especially compared to the rest (hope the authors won't mind).

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Congratulations everyone! This was a really good jam. Lots of developers, lots of voters, lots of fun :)

Me and @NAL have now got 3rd place two GMC Jams in a row 😅 glad people enjoyed the entry!

Big thank you to @Alice for counting the votes and creating the award images.

Let's keep this momentum going for next time (August 27th - August 31st save the date ;) )

Kyon

Congrats to everyone. It was a fun jam!
It was fun to work with Mark and Matteo again on a jam, we release collaborative games under the name Tower Guy Games, you can find more here: https://tower-guy-games.itch.io/
(only one more right now lol)
We are all 3 musicians from the Netherlands and try to make atmospheric-comedy games but mostly based on music or sound. We have some cool plans for the future.

This was the first GMC gamejam for me since 10 years. I participated in a jam back in 2010. (I believe it was called YoyoComp06, which was for the PSP Gamemaker Export haha)

Thanks for playing Crash FM and rating.
We played all the other games and had a real good time!

Maybe follow us on twitter if you want to see more of our games:
https://twitter.com/kyonedelenbosch
https://twitter.com/moonmoonmooncmp
https://twitter.com/KarkazisMatteo

THANKSSS

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
Absolutely delighted to have placed seventh in this jam. I have learned some very valuable lessons from the feedback everyone gave, and I hope to take those with me into the next jam. Assuming that happens around the end of August/start of September, it will probably be the last jam I am able to enter so I hope to go out with a bang!

It was great fun to do this jam! FAZIL will almost certainly have a post-jam release version in the next few weeks. Most of the critiques we got were very easy to fix, so a post-jam version could make a vast difference without too much effort... I imagine if I'd had like just a few more hours we could've ranked a good bit higher even, but I'm happy with 10th place considering!

Sorry to say I didn't get around to doing votes this time. I've noticed this usually happens if I make a game I don't do votes, but I'll make up for it by doing votes for one where I didn't make a game. Also, since I didn't play them I can't choose the best fantasy game, so I will give my prize to best use of theme instead.

Oh also, Best Devlog? Nice!

Bart

WiseBart
Congratulations to the winners and to everyone else who participated!
It was very nice to have all this variety in the games this time. I really enjoyed it!

Also, those medals look great!

Next date is noted down here already ;)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ah, glad you like these medals, I've noticed some people already put theirs in their signatures, too. ^^
I had fun making these; if you look closely (in case of some medals it doesn't need to be very closely) you'll notice some instances of me goofing around.

I've noticed that having a rim around the medals - most of the time being a layer above the medal image itself - gave me more ability to draw varied pictures more efficiently. In particular, I could enclose a background within it or naturally make a portrait-like picture without wondering how to handle its shape (compare it to Jam 35 medals, when there wasn't such a clear boundary and I had to draw an entire shape, sometimes opting to detached heads). Something to keep in mind should I try to make medals again sometime in the future.

Overall, I feel like I'm becoming better at drawing nicely-looking art more efficiently. I still need to take some significant time when drawing arbitrary human figures (as opposed to tracing them from existing artwork, like with TsudereSim); I'm quite certain System Purge medal took me the longest to make (especially since I couldn't find the reference to this exact "jumping away when startled" figure I wanted, and tweaking the dresses/robes took some time too), but since it's the top ranking game I think it's appropriate it got the most effort spent. That's also a pretty good drawing excercise, so feel free to contribute your own set of personalised medals sometime next Jam :3.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@JacobV Cheers, that was a quality entry. Any chance we'll get a version with proper ending sometime soon? I'd really like to see how it was originally meant to be concluded.

JacobV

@JacobV Cheers, that was a quality entry. Any chance we'll get a version with proper ending sometime soon? I'd really like to see how it was originally meant to be concluded.
We've actually been talking about putting together a fully finished version and putting it on Steam for a few bucks, but my schedule is a mess right now so no ETA on when that'll happen. Glad you're interested though!