The games of...

THEMES:
SWITCH BETWEEN DIFFERENT GENRES
STICK TOGETHER
CHARGING UP

Rules​

Who?
  • any GMC member is welcome to participate in GMC Jam and submit their entry
  • each entry must be made by a single GMC member or a team of up to 3 people; people outside GMC can be in the team, as long as at least one GMC member is in that team
  • any version of GameMaker can be used to create an entry
  • each participant can make or contribute to as many entries as they want, but they can only claim rewards for one of them (unless the reward is given specifically for the entry)
  • each entry must have a single post in this Jam's games topic (opened once the Jam officially starts), and no two entries can share the same post
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry downloadable file

How?
  • each entry must have a single, its own post in this very topic; no two entries can share the same post
  • each post in this topic must be related to a single entry; the place for discussion is the discussion thread, not the games topic
  • the entry post can be used to present the entry progress, as well as a devlog
  • you are free to use any devlog format as long as you can make it work in a forum post
  • by the time the Jam ends, the entry post must contain a valid link to entry files to qualify
  • ensure you give yourself wriggle room in the time you submit your game, and make sure you know exactly when the Jam ends - late entries may still be accepted and judged, however they will not be included in the bundle of entries

What?
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker (any version) specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
  • the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
  • the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available
  • the entry must not require admin privileges to run or mess with the system in any other way

Remember, as everywhere else, general Community Guidelines apply.

Recommended format​

To make things easier for participants, Jam host and the person who compiles the ZIP, guidelines about entry post and file structure has been prepared. It's not mandatory to follow, but it's recommended, as it keeps things organised and makes wrapping up entries easier.

The template in the spoiler below is suggested for entry post. If you have your own creative idea about it, by all means go for it, but please do include:
  • the game title
  • the list of team members and a team name; or just your own username if you go solo
  • the theme(s) you built your game around
  • the download link, clearly labeled as "DOWNLOAD"

Code:
[center][size=7]The Best Game Title in the World[/size]
[size=5]by [b]My Username[/b][/size]                        // if the game is made by one person
[size=5]by [b]Team XYZ[/b] (Xerxes, Yeti, Zed)[/size]       // if the game is made by a team
[size=5]by [b]Xerxes[/b], [b]Yeti[/b], [b]Zed[/b][/size]                         // if the team has no official name

[img]http://link-to-screenshot.com/[/img]           // if you have a screenshot
<no screenshot yet>                                 // if you don't

[size=6][url=http://download-link.net/]DOWNLOAD[/url][/size]        // if you have a playable version
<no download yet>                                                   // if you don't yet
    // you might also include additional download mirror links
    // or e.g. link to the game page or topic in Made with GameMaker
    // but the download should be the first link of all
[/center]

// after that, present the devlog however you like, within rules

Additionally, when you wrap up entry files to download, it is suggested that you:
  • make sure it's not an installer
  • make a folder called "Entry Title by Author", or "Entry Title by Team Name", or "Entry Title by Comma, Separated, Authors", put unpacked game file(s) directly in that folder, and ZIP the whole folder
  • add a 120x120px thumbnail that will be displayed by Jam Player, so that your game is recognised more easily
  • make a README file with credits, especially if you used external assets; files with README in name are recognized by Jam Player
  • if your README file is necessary to play the game (e.g. it includes the instructions not available in the game), call it README_PLEASE; if README is not required to play the game, please use the regular README
  • if there's some additional information you need the voter to know after they play the game, but before they vote, you might make an AFTERWORD file (also recognized by Jam Player); there you might mention cheat codes, explain the use of theme(s) if it's not obvious or revealed at the late point in the game etc.
  • if you still have some time, playtest the game and send it to your little dog, too; there are few things ruining the experience more effectively than crashes!
  • make sure it's not an installer, just once again for a good measure

Once again, following these guidelines is not obligatory, but it'll be appreciated.

Now let the Jamming commence!

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Presenting...

Story:
The Earth is in ruins after the World War Water and what's left of humanity has flown into the void to find a new home... However evil aliens have other plans!

Guide the mothership through the void and use your swarm of drone attack ships to protect it all the while picking up scrap to build more drones.

Controls:
Game plays with keyboard or gamepad (gamepad recomended!)
Use Arrow Keys/WASD/Left thumbstick to move
Use Space/Right Trigger to Shoot
Use M/(Y) to focus fire
Use N/(B) to chaos fire
Use P/Start to Pause

Screenshots:

Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png

Dev Stuff:
So, Void Swarm uses the theme of "Sticking Together" to add a twist to the old space-invaders type game. The core idea is that instead of using a single ship to attack, you actually have a swarm of autonomous drones that stick to your ship position and follow it around. When I saw the theme this idea pretty much was the first thing that came to my head, and after a few hours thinking about it I actually had a (more-or-less) fully formed design doc, something that rarely happens and has certainly helped me turn in a polished game prototype!

I won't go into what I added to the game, but the rough workflow was:

Day 1: Design doc and initial swarm mechanic prototyping
Day 2: General game mechanics, enemies, buy menu, some sounds
Day 3: Title screen, menus, more sounds and music, general polishing
Day 4: Polish, test and publish!

I would like to mention, however, a few things that the game is missing:
  • The most important thing that's missing is a more expansive system of buying/upgrading. I really would have liked to be able to upgrade the mothership after each level, so that you can spend scrap on things like repairs, faster movement, a grapple to get scrap easier, shields, etc...

• Flares! The HUD has a "Flares" section and it just doesn't get used in the game... :( The idea of the flare was that you would fire it, then press fire again and it would explode (or it would explode if it hit an enemy). All the swarm ships would then fly off to the flare position leaving you to move around without them until the flare runs out.

• More drones to buy. The drone system lends itself to a load extra features... defense drones that just shoot at bullets, healing drones that slowly heal the mothership over time, drones that shoot downwards only, drones that don't do damage but disable enemy ships, drones, drones, drones!!!!

• A save system. Again, the UI is setup for it, but I just didn't quite get there!

• Proper level progression... At the moment there are 10 levels which should loop (although it might crash after level 10!!!!!!!) and these levels have little in the way of true progression. It needs more care in the crafting of the waves of enemies as well as much more variety in the enemy types and a few bosses too...

• Polish, polish, polish... The game is missing several UI tweaks that make things nicer for the user. Redefine-able keys, level messages, a proper game over screen, highscroes, achievements, etc.. etc.., etc...
All that said though, I'm quite proud of how this turned out and it's certainly the most polished Jam game I've submitted for some time! I'll hopefully work on this some more and actually release it as a full and finished game... :)

Last edited:

CodeManu

The Island
by @CodeManuPro

Description

The plane you were in has crashed in a remote island. In order to survive you will need to find other survivors and work together while building a new home and fighting the natives.

Theme
Stick Together

Download
Dropbox Link

Screenshots

Devlog
Day 1
Day 2:

Credits
Music, coding and graphics made by @CodeManuPro
Sfx from freesound.org

Last edited:

Mercerenies

Caves and Lasers
A Mercerenies game

Download link (GameJolt): https://gamejolt.com/games/cave_laser/364023

Devlog

(All times in this log are in American Eastern Daylight Savings Time. Day 1 is Friday, August 24th.)

Day 1

9:05am - I have a couple of classes today, so I won't be getting started immediately. Just brainstorming right now. I'm not touching "Switch genres" because I feel like, if I did that one, it would actually just be the same as Rabbit Hole, more or less, and I don't want to make the same game over again. Of the other two, I think I'm going to tend toward "Charging up". Got some cool ideas about an arcade-style game involving charging attacks. More thoughts coming soon; watch this space!

1:25pm - Just booted into my Win7 partition for the first time in probably over a year. Everything is so sluggish. Is that just because Linux is infinitely better or because I haven't used it in a long time? You decide.

1:35pm - Took longer than I thought it would to get things usable. Updated Firefox and Game Maker. Not sure why my wifi is cutting out every five minutes. Proooooobably should've tried booting into Windows before the Jam started, but c'est la vie.

1:37pm - Anyway, I have two ideas and I haven't picked between them. One is a tower-defense style shooter where the type of attack you have is dependent on how much you've charged up your gun, so the "basic" attack is just a tiny laser beam, whereas if you charge it all the way up, you get a massive explosion that kills everything nearby. On the other hand, I could go a little more within my comfort zone and make a puzzle game centered around the same concept, with a gun that you charge up to break down blocks. Still debating.

1:51pm - It occurs to me that I haven't shown off my new workstation yet. Moved into a new apartment a couple of weeks ago.

1:59pm - God I forgot how much I loved GM's sprite editor. I'm going to be crucified for saying this, but GIMP just doesn't compare. I've never found any image editor I like as much as the GM one.

3:13pm - Say hello to Main Character Person! I've found the trick; if I make the sprites really small then I have fewer pixels to screw up and therefore my sprites look slightly less cringeworthy.

3:25pm - Hmmm... I'm not totally sold on the look. The color scheme is just too... meh.

4:19pm - So here's tentatively what I'm looking at. You go around the stage picking up energy orbs to charge your armor. When you press spacebar, you use an ability in proportion to how much you've charged it. The attacks (as shown in the illustration) will be
(1) Simple attack; destroys the block immediately in front of you.
(2) Ranged attack; destroys the nearest block in the direction you're facing.
(3) Laser attack; destroys any number of blocks in the direction you're facing.
(4) Radial laser attack; like the (3) laser but also destroys adjacent blocks in every direction.
(5) Hyper laser attack; fires lasers in every direction. Completely OP, of course.

5:02pm - Line 'em up and knock 'em down.

5:53pm - Got a little HUD bar at the bottom of the screen that shows you which attack is currently "available".

5:57pm - And that'll be my last devlog entry before dinner. Pizza's almost here.

7:05pm - So initially, I was thinking of having this actually be a semi-3D game kind of like Barry: the Brainless Overlord. So you could climb up onto some of the platforms and whatnot. But on the other hand, this is supposed to be about exploring a cave, and how many cave ceilings do you know that you can climb on top of? I think the 3D idea is going to get scrapped, as much fun as it would be to design.

7:26pm - Several new features, all of which are shown in this screenshot. I've already briefly mentioned the little blue orbs; you collect those to charge your armor. The gold bars are collectibles: collect them all to move on to the next stage. The brown walls are... ya know, walls. The light brown walls can be broken with the energy attacks. Holes can't be traversed, but you can fire lasers over them. The circular block can be pushed around and dropped into holes.

7:34pm - Fun fact. There's actually no upper limit to your energy bar. It'll happily just keep filling up the screen. Although in actual gameplay it shouldn't get any higher than 10 (which would be two full rows at the bottom of the screen).

8:17pm - Some careless fool left stacks of TNT in this cave! The main feature of TNT is: if you hit it with a laser, it explodes and kills you. Don't explode TNT in your own face.

9:47pm - Welp. Progress has more or less slowed to a halt. I'm pretty tired right now, so I think I'm calling it a night.

Day 2

11:09am - Ugh slept way too late. So I'll be getting a late start, but it's game time.

11:43am - Guess who has a title screen? I'll give you a hint. He has an unhealthy obsession with giant spiky turtles.

12:03pm - Apparently I just wrote a script called save_game which loads the game and one called load_game which saves it, and I didn't even notice.

12:10pm - Wait, what? I just found this page in the GM help manual. This is a list of 256 characters which claims to be an exhaustive list of UTF-8 characters. Like, you're missing the other 109,128 characters, there.

12:58pm - This game will not teach you how to play it. It definitely won't tell you the controls.

3:08pm - This is actually a bit rough. I didn't think level design for this would be tricky, but it's hard to come up with nontrivial levels for this one.

3:21pm - Well, I'm stopping for... I'm going to call it lunch. Got 11 levels done. Here's a sneak preview of one of them.

6:19pm - I have a terrible idea and I might implement it.

6:59pm - No, it's crazy. I should spend the time I have remaining polishing things up. Not doing the thing.

7:14pm - The game is done. All the levels are done. I'll probably start looking into sound effects now.

8:31pm - Huh. Well that's a thing. I guess I'm not used to having Friday to work on it, but it's, like, done. Download link at the top of this post. I.... don't know what to do now. I'm not used to having extra time.

Day 3

1:12pm - So I think this is the first time I've tried a parallax projection, and I think it went well. I was worried at first, when the walls didn't "mesh" together, because there were just too many lines on the screen, but once I fixed that I think I actually like the aesthetic. Hopefully everyone else agrees.

Last edited:

Gravedust

Ages ago, a band of heroes set off to a forsaken land, to reclaim it for the light. Their EPIC TALE has since passed on into Legend.

A legend that has nothing to do with you.

You're some guy with a pitchfork. A pitchfork and a handgun. And an inherited farm, vacated by your grandparent under MYSTERIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES.

Circumstances that might well have to do with the MURDEROUS ALIENS that descend on the place every night for literally, actually, no reason.

But you're a simple man (or MANLY WOMAN), and you do what you have to. And what you have to do is SHOOT ALIENS AND WATER SOME @#$%&*#@$% PLANTS, because you've got a farm to run.

YOUR LEGEND BEGINS HERE!*

*and probably ends in a pool of blood on night three.

Last edited by a moderator:

The M

Some smaller devlog:
~ Day 1 ~
2 hours into the jam and I have an idea of what I want to do. This will be a game about sticking pieces of a broken heart together by moving them together using various tools, such as conveyors, pistons and whatnot. Only problem is I've only got the GM8 version on this computer and while I could download one of the Studio versions I'm not sure the computer is up to the task of running it smoothly. As such I can't use the built-in physics engine and have to create my own, simpler version.

I've made a little progress but I think I'll switch out how you interact with stuff for something more interesting. I was thinking about creating an interactable timeline where you enter how long things should run and when they should start.

~ Day 2 ~
I'm feel pretty worn out right now so it's a little harder to dedicate myself than usual but I'm still making some good progress. I've decided to do physics when I need them and keep things very simple for now. Instead I've added an interface where you can activate conveyor belts through activation posts in a timeline. It works really well (but was a pain to draw and I'm still not fully happy with the looks), I'm looking forward to seeing what other mechanics can be added to this.

Now I've got cranes working which can pick up and drop heart pieces. They allow for a lot more complex actions but also highlight some limitations with my drag 'n' drop system (you have to do a lot of readjustment if some early stuff don't work). Also, pasting a gif in Discord does some curious things with the color encoding:

Honestly, I kind of like it. ;)

~ Day 3 ~
I've got a strange level progression system because all levels are in the same room, it just scrolls to the right when you go to the next level (with some fancy parallax layering of course). Problem is that the second level is too complex for a second level and moving levels around just isn't viable like this. My solution is that levels will be in a random order in the world and the view just scrolls left or right until it reaches the correct one. I do a lot of room restarts to reset puzzles so I'll have to do something to keep completed levels from appearing unsolved when you scroll past.

I'm aiming for 8 puzzles and have 7 of them done already. I've been thinking about adding additional mechanics, such as stationary arms, doors with triggers, pistons or corrupted heart pieces but I'll stick with what I've got for now instead so that I can focus more on polishing up the existing systems (read: fix collision bugs) and then go over polish and effects.

I've added a title screen with a little intro (as seen above). By now all puzzles are done and all that remain is polishing up the game, make the end screen a bit nicer and adding sound effects. Again, because this isn't my usual computer I can't use the assets I've amassed through the previous jams so it's probably going to be a bit tougher this time to make it sound good. I'll probably leave that for the last day though, it's already getting late here.

Yup, getting late. Feels really good to be back into the flow again though, took a little while to get me going. :)

~ Day 4 ~
As planned I'm throwing in a bunch of sound effects and music. It's mostly engine noise for the various motors and stuff I've got but it takes a lot of time to get it just right. When I added music it drowned out all other sounds so now I have to go back and boost the volume of those again...
I know of a bug (or rather, unfinished feature) that needs to be addressed before I can submit the game so I'll give the last 30 minutes to that (it better be enough), which leaves me with another 30 to keep adding sounds. Should be good!

curato

by Curato
Theme: Stick Together

Concept: Help the jellies escape the Prism Palace by
figuring out of the puzzle to get them all the exit They
must do it together!

DOWNLOAD
Prism Palace

Description:

Help colored jellies escape the Prism Palace by solving the puzzles

Concept:

Jellies can only interact with things their own color. There will be three jellies Red Blue and Yellow. Doors Switches Teleporters of the same colors. Doors will block access to all but the Jelly that color. Switches will let that jelly turn off its door color. Teleporters will let the jelly of the right color get to places that wouldn't be accessible otherwise.

Layout:

Main Menu

• Play (Go to the game)

• Credits (Show Credits)
    • Return to main menu
  • Options
    • Sound ON/OFF

• Music ON/OFF
  • Exit (quit the game)

Requirements

Art (Thinking Open Game Art)

• Jellies Red, Blue, Yellow

• Floor Tiles

• Door Tiles

• Door Closed Graphic Red Blue Yellow

• Switches Red Blue Yellow

• Teleporter Red Blue Yellow

• Victory Pop (level end)

• Jelly select button

• Finish Spot

Sound (Thinking Open Game Art)

• Switch

• Teleport

• Door Unlock

• Victory

Music (Thinking Open Game Art)

• Theme Music

Code:

• Menu Button (mostly room moving and app exit flag for sound stuff)

• Buttons flag which jelly we are controlling (just a variable change)

• Jellies
    • Controls WASD movement for the jellies (which control flag of active jelly)

• Center View on current jelly

• Collision specific per jelly because of color selectivity
  • Switches
    • If a jelly of a matching color moves on top of it turn off the matching door
  • Teleporter
    • Store preloaded location to move jelly

• Move jelly on approach
      • Play teleport sound
  • Doors

• Block Jellies that don't match

• Allow Jelly that does match

• Turn off by switch flag
    • Play unlock sound
  • Finish Spot
    • Play victory graphic and sound

• Move to next level
Waiting to get off of work so I can really get started...

Meanwhile it occur to me I am making jelly while everyone else is making jam lol

Also for lack of being able to do much else I have named the Jellies

• Red - Rico Rojo

• Yellow - Chicky Amarillo

• Blue - Azure Cerulean

Going to try to get all my resources for my GDD together so I can hammer out the code!

I ended up doing more of the art myself than I expected. I got a few nice finds on open game art. first level almost completely functional.

Day 1 Screen.png
I have most everything functional. I still need to add few more levels and some polish. I borrowed some menu buttons I already had made to save some time. Everyone want something when you are trying to hit a deadline. They can smell it.

Did come polish. Added a move counter and timer for the levels. The game has basically everything that a game should have; so, I put a download link up. If I don't have much more time at least it is a complete submission. If I have more time I want to tweak the puzzles and add a few more.

Day 2 Screen.png

[/SPOILER
Almost afraid to edit my post now. Having to make changes 3 times to get it to save. If I fix the title at the top my days dev blog disappears... I can't do advanced edit either I just get a #.

Been busy thinking to do another puzzle before times up. We will see.

Attachments

Last edited:
M

Mocgames998

Time & Play: Charge Up, You Tiny Ninja!
by Mocgames998

Charge your ninja up while deflecting fruit thingies and jump really high into the air for some reason.
A "classic" Game & Watch Time & Play game, possibly from 30 years ago or something.
(Also, I'm back after a year-long break or so)
screenie.png
Full screenshot in here:
screenie.png
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dhSiZIM3y0eEt8g8836goW8nxqR3IWVN

The Devlog: Spoilered per day

DAY 1:
---9:00 AM
-I got an idea of what to do this time for the Jam!
-Time to make graphix & sound beeps or whatever.
---Rest of the day (Too lazy to log back in to GMC yesterday)
-Sound beeps
-Graphix
-Basic layout of the game
-Simulated LCD lightup of the graphics
DAY 2:
---12:30 PM
-Part 1 of the game is pretty much in a playable state (you can charge up to change to the next game style)
-You can get hurt
-Thinking of adding more fruit into the fray
-Score counter (Uses NAL's (?) Digital Dismay font for LCD authenticity)
-Charge meter
---11:20 PM
-Implemented most of part 2
-Highscore counter
-Lives and Game Over
-Unfinished Time and Play handheld background with fake button things
-Oh yeah, lives on the hud
DAY 3:
---5:15 PM
-It's now looking like a proper handheld game from the 80s!
-Touchscreen buttons to add to the "authenticity"!
-The layout is the screenshot up above
-
---8:15 PM
-Rebalanced the difficulty a bit
-Saves high scores for both modes
-Remapped charge kick to down and standing up to up
-Wrote the Readme file
-A, Z, ', and / can be used in place of the other keys. I may change it to S and X to please non-QWERTY users. (Which I did, look below...)
---8:17 PM
-Changed A&Z to S&X for non-QWERTY users
---8:19 PM
-Nah, I'll use BOTH, so A&Z and S&X are usable in the game.
---8:38 PM
-Nearly done, you can now press F1 for more information once again! (Much harder to use show_message() with GMS2 though)
-A little more tweaking and it should be good to go!
---9:30 PM
-We are go! Version 1.0!
I wanted to do a smaller, simpler game this time, just to get comfortable with GMS2 some more, and also the fact I haven't really used Gamemaker much in the past year I think.

(Thanks for the layout template!)

T

Triangle

Alright, so (!!!) is my submission for the 'switching genres' prompt. It's a Metroidvania where you progress through three different stages, each of which is based around a different classic videogame mechanic, and use appropriate gameplay to complete each one. The first stage requires you to collect 12 coins to progress to the next level, and you must evade enemies and do platforming to collect the coins. The second stage requires you to collect 12 'health tanks' which are hidden around a large area and may only be found through exploration. The final stage requires you to kill 12 miniboss enemies, which are protected by dozens of heavily armed enemies themselves. Yes, the game is actually titled !!! . Literally it's title is three exclamation points.

DAY 1:
4 hour mark: Surprisingly, I actually have working basic mechanics. I might actually have something to submit by Monday

7 hour mark: The main character has a 120mm assault rifle that is comically large. Beat that!

12 hour mark: Somehow, everything is working in perfect harmony. I don't trust it. Tommorow I'll update this with actual information about what the game is actually even about, this devlog is a mess

12.2 hour mark: You can stand in a doorway and jump, and there is a satisfying noise when you hit your head. I could do this for the rest of the jam.

DAY 2:
2d0h45m to end: Reformatted my post, figured out how to do spoilers.

1d22h24m to end: Added cute text bubbles to indicate player responses to stuff, and fixed corpse physics.

1d20h39m to end: Mostly done, started the final stage which should be very straightforward. All that's left really is boring grunt work and some level design. Not to mention polishing, I guess.

1d18h37m to end: Cleaned some stuff up. It's playable, that much is for sure

1d18h5m to end: Taking a break for an hour to regain my sanity

1d16h3m to end: Finishing up with replacing placeholder sprites.

1d15h34m to end: Still have a couple placeholder sprites that need replacing, but added a bunch of new audio and polished everything a bit. Everything's mostly in order, so I'm taking another break.

DAY 3:
1d0h13m to end: Time to rush the development to the finish!

0d23h38m to end: Game breaking bug won't even let the game start

0d22h48m to end: Fixed it, also added something telling the player how to restart, rushed the completion of stage three, fixed a turret enemy, and added a sprite for when the player is dead

0d20h15m to end: I can't believe I'm only now removing the last placeholder asset..

0d19h16m to end: I think I'm finally finished! Download coming soon!

0d17h24m to end: Added download link! I am about as simultaneously excited and exhausted as is possible, I really didn't think I'd actually even finish this mess. But here it is! Good luck to everyone else participating, many of these submissions look absolutely fantastic!

DOWNLOAD NOW AVALIABLE (Google Drive) :

John Andrews

Living Enigma

By John Andrews
Themes: Stick together and Charging up

TEMPORARILY CANCELED
Because of the many setbacks I had this weekend.
Starship IOX-1-70-9 energy reserves have been brought down by an enemy attack! Many of your teammates have scattered around the complex system and hidden from the strong enemy soldiers raiding the ship and preparing to make it self destruct. Find your allies, stick together while fighting the enemies, and charge up the emergency energy generators to get the ship's security systems up and running again to be secure from danger.

Day 1:

4:30PM Started the project file for "Power Grid", had ideas about what it could be, maybe a top down game or something like that and you have to navigate a place to charge up a generator to activate the defense systems of a facility under attack.

5:00PM Drawn weapon sprites, pistol, machine gun, shotgun, sniper, and plasma gun, drawn player as a box, and some enemies, created and programmed player, movement, weapon display, created room to test the player.

5:30PM Drawn bullets, shells, blocks, programmed instant hit script, created block, starter, and entity objects.

6:00PM Kept programming bullet properties and how they're shot, programmed weapon properites, programmed a thing so the player can use all weapons at once, redesigned gun 5, started programming player collisions.

7:30PM Finished programming player collisions, programmed shells, programmed instant entity hit script.

8:00PM Programmed shell smoke, added some more weapon specs.

8:30PM Started programming enemy.

9:00PM Kept programming enemy.

9:30PM Kept programming enemy, programmed circular health bar, improved instant entity hit script.

10:00PM Stopped to eat dinner.

10:30PM Drawn game title, updated info to the Game Maker forums.

11:00PM Thinking about going to sleep, I mean come on, I've a life too and need to wake up early tomorrow ;-;. Sprited out the floor tiles, modeled a prototype level 1, improved shell collisions, programmed weapons in floor to be picked up and stored as avaliable to the player, programmed weapon swapping cycle, ammo display, created UI font.

11:30PM Drawn crosshairs.

12:00PM Time limit reached, time to sleep, last update of the day, then I'll move to day 2. Updated info in the Game Maker forums, uploaded a gif.

Day 2

8:12AM Started writing devlog day 2 from phone, written general info about enemies to be implemented in the game.

5:19PM Got home and even though I am kinda sleepy, I feel like continuing jamming nonstop until the jam ends! Improved instant entity hit scan script code

5:30PM Finished fixing the insta entity hit scan script, started drawing player and enemy sprites.

6:00PM Continued drawing enemy sprites, programmed enemy movement, programmed enemy vision.

6:30PM Programmed enemy alerting nearby enemies to attack the same target, programmed red vision when hurt, programmed muzzle flash.

7:00PM Programmed enemy erratic movement.

7:30PM Started configuring and creating other enemies based on what I wrote this morning, started designing level 1.

8:00PM Started programming pathfinding AI for enemies

8:30PM Continued to program pathfinding AI for enemies.

8:42PM Discarded pathfinding AI, too complex and doesn't work no matter how much I try to make it, programmed charged super attack

9:00PM Programmed charger super attack trail and damage.

9:41PM Programmed blood.

10:00PM I have no inspiration and don't want to do anything, blocked, why ;-;. Programmed buttons and movable walls, created tutorial, made another crosshair.

10:30PM Decided to go to sleep, I feel kinda sick and tired and don't want to keep going

Day 3

10:26AM Woke up sick, prepared, opened up the GMC and saw that there are 20hrs left for the jam to end.

10:30AM Finished part 1 of level 1, started drawing tiles.

11:00AM Continued drawing tiles and partially tiled level 1, configured doors to show tiling.

11:30AM Tiled more

12:00AM Tiled more

12:58AM Decided to cancel the project, I got sick and had sooo many setbacks this weekend. Maybe it's best not to continue with this.

Last edited:
G

GVmG

By Studio Rainfall (or well, technically just GVmG)​

Built around the themes Switch Between Different Genres and Charging Up, you take the role of Hidden Bullet, a member of The Union's EXIF Project. You are tasked to investigate what exactly the Meran Researchers are doing in southern Exan territory, in the abandoned Koere Extraction Facility of Edfield. Military activity has been noted in the area, but it shouldn't be a problem for your EXIF-trained stealth skills. Unfortunately though, the Meran know you're coming, and they have prepared a nice welcoming party for you. Should have brushed up the flying skills too, while you were in EXIF training.

Spent 3 hours on an intro and main menu. Finally made some gameplay stuff too.

5 hours in, Textboxes for the Lore™ are in. Taking a break of one to two hours to check stuff irl cause nearby areas are flooding. When back I'll work on the actual bullets and gameplay, as well as starting to work on the stealth segments.

9 hours in, I'm back and I coded some cutscene stuff. It's incredibly ugly behind the scenes but who cares tbh it's not like I only have 72 hours 9 of which are already gone- oh no.
Either way, I might have made the first attack of the game a tad bit too strong. Just a little bit.

10 hours in, day one is down - kinda, it's just ten hours. I'll go sleep, meaning I'll watch anime then maybe fall asleep. With an alarm at 9am, I should be fine, if everything goes according to plan. We'll see.

Woke up at 10 instead of 9 cause I just had to watch an extra episode last night. *sigh* at least that anime is turning out to be interesting. Time to dev!

22 hours in, finally got a way to gain shields and energy in. Spent a bit more than expected on literally just getting YouTube to autoplay in the background. That reminds me I need to find music and audio for this thing... Oh boi. Anyway have generic gir of debug mode doing debug things:

24 hours in - now Day 2 actually begins. I'm beginning to think of dropping the multiple genre theme, given how much time I'm full on wasting. We'll see.

30 hours in. I was able to add some music and sound effects, and even a button to toggle the game music (just like the good old GMC Jams), but... Idk exactly what happened, but something derped with the entire Studio IDE and now Studio and the games I make with it are the only things that do not play any kind of audio whatsoever. Spent 6 hours trying to figure it out. Nope, only results I find on Google are unrelated to GameMaker... and to Windows, they're just Linux stuff. Every other app works flawlessly too. Damn you, dummy output!

I got tired of that bug and took a break. Then went to sleep. Now it's 4pm on day three (22 hours left). I guess I'll just throw in smoe extra enemies and call it a day, cause there's no way I can finish this whole thing now. That bug really took down my morale :/

2:22am - Day THREE is technically over but sssh, this way it fits with the Jam actually being 72 hours. I FINALLY fixed the audio bug a few hours ago.

Turns out Nahimic2 (the thing some MSI laptops use to handle audio, on top of the Realtek audio stuff) was conflicting so much with GM that not only was I unable to listen to audio ingame, it didn't even work on the IDE or in other computers after building.

But now it is done, and the game is pretty much complete. Or well... 30 seconds of gameplay and 2 minutes of plot are complete. And the gameplay is terribly unbalanced, I need to tweak it. But for now, it's better than nothing.

I'll include a download link, but I should be able to update it after tweaking in the morning if I wake up I need sleep.

[DOWNLOAD]
(don't be scared, s-ul.eu is a great host)

S

Snail Man

Devlog
8/24: I'm in. Working on a Genre Switching game, featuring Charging Up.

8/25 (1:30 AM)
Finished for the day, made a huge amount of progress. Actual game is all but done. Just need to impliment start, end cut-scenes, put in audio, swap out some placeholder art, and slap a menu on it. I'm usually at this point about this time on Monday, so I think I'm positioned pretty well to do some fun stuff with the music and audio.
Here's a recent screen

8/25 (9:00 PM)
Been working on a lot of structure and interface stuff. Only thing left to do is music and a little graphical punching up.

8/26: Very close to done, just need to record the music, then I'm finished!

Relic

I was going to make this my first jam, then life got in the way. But such an idea has come my way for stick together that I’ll try put something out - even if I can put 4 hours into it.

Edit: Yep, 4 hours it was.

For theme "Stick Together"

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
O

Otyugra

Cavern Business Balloon
by Otyugra

An Action/ Arcade/ Simulator game
Theme(s): Charging up (primary), Switch Genres (secondary)
"In the mornings, ascend a vertical cavern collecting treasure while avoiding harm.
During the evenings, sell your treasure to cave dwellers and try to reach a maximum profit!"

[DOWNLOAD]
Devlog
Friday:
I decided to remake Hippy Business Balloon, only smaller and in a way that fits the theme "Charge Up." Conceptually, the game already flips genres back and forth, so that part is in the bag. I posted my first screenshot of progress. So far I have made a proto-version of the movement mechanic and drew a lot of balloon and wall art. Tomorrow I hope to fully implement the movement mechanic so that I can begin to add content to the cave sections all before the late afternoon [midnight].
Saturday:
Before going to bed, I decided to make more sprites of Bernardyn. I decided he will spring upward so I made sprites of him scrunched and ready to launch up. I also made cliff and mystery object sprites. The last thing I did was add dynamic depth so that the program knows what distance he is from the camera [3 am].
~~
Upon waking up, I made more sprites including a meter for floating upward. I implemented collision with cliffs and added mystery loot [noon]. I then spent hours implementing a nuanced, charged launch mechanic that allows you to rise quickly at an intensity you choose so long as you spend a few seconds to prepare. It's taken a lot of code, but thankfully it's been very straightforward to implement. There's almost nothing to do now except add content [4:15 pm]. After having a very late lunch, I spend perhaps too much time trying to perfect the charge-rise mechanics and baby proofing them from all future objects. If I am fair to my past self, I needed almost every minute to set it up so that it works well and can account for any situation. Now I will add content and Gui [7:30 pm]. I spent about four hours eating and trying to fix a bug with the collision system. As it turns out, the problem would have been solved (and better understood) if I followed the code line by line in my head. Instead, I opted to try every hairbrained experiment I could to get it to work, and as I previously said, it went nowhere. Well, I foresee no other roadblocks anytime soon so hooray [11 pm]!
Sunday:
To finish the evening, I have made more than half of the first level and added the response to injury. I go to bed now knowing that I'll have time to work on the shop simulator half of the game, and I'm very excited! Ever since I finished programming Bernardyn, I've mostly been adding gameplay content, which is arguably the best part of making and testing a game [12:30 am].
~~

I start the day by making small steps toward completion, and by planning the "select four" screen as well as all 17 items you can find in the game. In turn, I had to begin planning the entire shop simulator gameplay, which has to be simple to be feasible [6 pm]. Since then, I have been busy but managed to make most of the menus for the 17 possible mystery objects. The 17 unique item sprites turned out really good. Luckily, I am free most of tomorrow to try to finish strong [midnight].
Sunday:

I spend five hours trying to salvage the game to be presentable before the time limit. I aborted the shopkeeping section so that I could make sure the one and only action-y level was the best it could be so that the loot you earn would be just a bonus at the end [5:15 am].

O

Oyakiiv

a little late, but here I am!

Slime Prince: Revolution at Sparkly Rock Ranch

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/811j35b7kxth2ky/SlimePrince by Oyakiiv.zip?dl=0

I'm going with "Stick Together"!

Log:
just now starting up game maker at 1:10 am Saturday, have given plenty of thought to what I want to make, just hope its not too ambitious since I usually get less than 20 hours of work time for jams.

3:21 am: making progress, but there are a few more base mechanics I need to work on...a few might be an under statement... hopefully I can get on to enemies soon since it seems that will be the easier part to this. gonna keep working till about 4 am then I'm off to bed.

4:00 am: My view towards the work I've done so far is becoming quite positive; time for bed

Saturday:
12:45 pm: auto attacking enemies is now a thing!
1:21 pm: added collisions and it broke my auto attack... gotta get ready for work now too...

2:30 am: really late start, but going to be up all night. got some pretzels and coffee, hope that does the trick.

4:30 am: been stuck working on collisions for way too long and still stuck, will give up at 5. I know I was doing stick together, but my slimes are taking it too literal right now...did I not mention there will be slimes? yeah, there are slimes.

5:20 am: finally got the collisions working, its still not perfect, things still get jittery here and there but nothing gets stuck! now back to combat and things that affect it!

Sunday:
7:57 am: almost have combat fleshed out, but I will have to abandon game mechanics for now, time to sleep, then get to work on graphics and sound.

1:54 pm: came up with the name finally.

HayManMarc

DOWNLOAD

I'm in this! I present to you....

Keep your spaceship intact and keep the plasma core charged up!
Deliver the science and collect your rewards!
Captain's DevLog:
JamDate 250818.3
I recently stumbled across a game that was made for Ludum Dare 42 called "20,000 Leaks Under The Sea". I liked it so much I thought I'd make my own version of it for this jam.

The main theme I'm using is "Charging Up", but there might be some "Stick Together" in there. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get some "Switch Between Different Genres", but I'm not counting on it.

I spent the first 3 (or so) hours of my time on creating a character sprite and some background sprites. Of course, I must give my nods to Star Trek, as you can probably tell.

(scaled up 800%)

I made a quick-(yeah, right)-and-dirty, four-frame run animation and was able to implement very basic movement.

At this point, it was about 3:30 AM and I had to be to work in 9 hours. I was hoping I could get up a bit early to do some more work.

JamDate 250818.12
I managed to get up early enough to give myself about an hour to gamedev before going to work. I started working on the turbolif...er, I mean, the elevators. Despite interuptions from 11-year-old daughter, I was able to sprite up an animated elevator door.

(I could only make the gif of the doors closing with GIMP.)

JamDate 250818.16
Home for lunch. I had about a half hour to start coding the elevators. Didn't get very far, but got the ideas going. Fixed some project settings.

JamDate 260818.1
After work, and after about 3 hours, I've managed to get the elevators working, make a logo, and write up this devlog (from the beginning). I think I'm all caught up with myself now. Just gotta make a couple elevator gifs for here, then back to gamedev for as long as I can stay awake.

JamDate 260818.4
I was only able to go about two more hours, but I managed to get control panels working. Also started drawing the Plasma Tubes. (Hopefully it all makes sense in the game.) No time for pics or gifs until tomorrow.

At this point, because of my time constraints, I'm not optimistic about having a completed game by deadline. Hopefully I can muster out of bed early with a little less sleep.

JamDate 260818.16
Welp, no mustard for my custard. Couldn't get outta bed early, but I was able to draw up a couple wall sprites on my lunch break. Still so much to do -- hope I can at least have something playable at deadline.

H

H3ADL3SS

Starship Skedaddle
By H3ADL3SS

explosion.gif
DOWNLOAD

You play as player.png Mr.Blue. player.png You and your crew made a plan to steal money from OrangeCorp. When the game begins you stand in the Orange headquarters with a moneybag and the alarms blaring. GET OUT!

I chose the theme that spoke the most to me, which was switch between different genres. I didn't have any easy ideas so I made 4 very different levels in different genres.

When I started coding I thought I wouldn't finish this with a playable game since this was even bigger in scope than what I tried last time. On Friday I had my programmer art done and I could move around. Saturday I embraced the programmer art and just polished it up and kept it to save time. The levels were now all in place. Sunday morning I got the levels to work together without crashing or bugging out. Added title screen and end screen.

I ran out of time and have to upload early. But the game has all the levels I wanted in it and it is fully playable! Sorry if the sounds and music is bad and have weird volume levels, since I made it and slapped it in there in half an hour.

Maximiliano

The Best Game Ever
by Maximiliano

mobs.png
DOWNLOAD

So I just basically wanted to finish something in time and that's how The Best Game Ever came to be. It's "switch between different genres" with a tiny bit of "charging up". The game is made up of three levels and a boss fight at the end.

STORY
You are a myPhone that has been brought to life by a human error in one of Mapple's factories.
Now Steve Mobs is after you, to make sure that the world doesn't find out about you.
Escape from the factory and defeat Steve Mobs to beat the game
and find the unexpected ending to this crazy story.​

Last edited:
M

Misu

FOOLS! YOU HAVE ALL BEEN BAMBOOZLED! I never left!...

Theme usage: SWITCH BETWEEN DIFFERENT GENRES
Behold! My latest frankensteinish creation I have run-overed and dragged in here!

I havent finished this entry unfortunately (since youll notice by the lack of several art styles) but I did enough to actually submit it atleast just so I can fairly participate in the voting phase!

DOWNLOAD!

U

Uskompuf

'Tato Lazers
by PugWizard101, Uskompuf

ITCH.IO

You are Mr 'Tato, who seeks revenge on the evil potato peeler who made your best friend into a bag of potato chips. To defeat the evil potato peeler, you must use the crumbs found throughout the evil sauces's lairs, but be careful as they are filled with traps. Use the crumbs to charge up your lazer cannon so you can destroy the evil potato peeler.

M

Misty

Here is our game. It is a mix of all 3 themes: 2 genres (driving and zombies), Stick Together and Charging Up (North) into people...
CreativeJon90
helped me make this game, but it is missing some of the graphics, so I put in placeholders....I think he fell asleep!
Going to bed and going to set an alarm. :cool:

How to win: Realistic physics so, Drive the same as real life. Basically, get gud.

STTTAT (Stick Together Through Thick And Thin!)
Previous version (old, working. If the new has bugs use this version.)http://www.filedropper.com/stttat

New version http://www.filedropper.com/stttat0
YYC wont compile on visual studio 11 and visual studio 14 is missing some files! Woot!
Doesn't lag on my $200 pc from 2014, so if it lags on your PC time to buy a new PC.

Last edited:

NAL

ʕ ᓀ ᴥ ᓂ ʔ
GMC Elder
WOKET_MAKER - Base Camp

DOWNLOAD

Theme: STICK TOGETHER

Controls:

1P:
Move: Arrow Keys
Change Weapon: '<', '>'
Attack: ?

2P:
Move: 'A', 'S', 'D', 'W'
Change Weapon: 'Q', 'E'
Attack: Spacebar

In 2020, a mutation creature called "HUNGRY" began to appear in the world, and they devour all the organisms in the world.

The world government declared martial law in every country and fought them constantly, but they were terribly defeated.

By the time the world government was destroyed and the news of the base camp being a safe place for survivors was spreading throughout the country,

Jacob and Steve run away desperately from "HUNGRY" and meet each other for the first time in the forest.

And they are on their way to finding the base camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.