GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 30 / XXX / Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Well, I think I missed this one. Lol. Next time for sure, I'm scheduling AROUND the jam. Looking forward to what weird stuff comes of this!

Good luck, chaps!

M

Misty

Dunno. Themes are kind of lame, switching bodies would have been funnier and more interesting.

So if I lose, let it be known, it is not because i suck, but, because I couldnt think of anything for the themes.

G

GVmG

5 Hours in, got some basic stuff in. Maybe I should focus more on gameplay and the actual themes before doing lore and animations like the textbox stuff...
NAAAAAAAAAH.

D

Dec0y

So do I get to pick one of the 3 themes? I don't understand, do we need to incorporate all 3 somehow?

Never mind... tl;dr... :)

G

GVmG

So do I get to pick one of the 3 themes? I don't understand, do we need to incorporate all 3 somehow?

Never mind... tl;dr... :)
Picking a theme isn't a requirement, but it is suggested. Only one is fine.

M

Master Maker

I have one question: Do I get bonus points for using more than one of the themes?

Mercerenies

I have one question: Do I get bonus points for using more than one of the themes?
If it doesn't feel forced, then you might fare better in ratings. If I saw a game that gracefully combined two or three of the themes, then I would look favorably upon it. But if I saw one that just forced three separate concepts into the game and they don't mesh well, then that would count against it, in my mind.

E: What do you guys think of the color scheme? I'm not sold on it.

Last edited:
S

Snail Man

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in months because of school and other life things making me busy all the time, but I am in.
Devlog forthcoming -- I'm planning to use 2/3 the themes.

G

GVmG

mmmmmh... I think that first attack is *a little bit* too strong.
Just a little bit.

EDIT: and day one is down. 10 hours in, fixed the first attack's animation, timing, and now it can actually known down your shields as opposed to that video where it really just spammed a debug message in the console.

gonna go sleep for today. which means watch some anime and then sleep. gonna wake up at like 9am if everything goes according to plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Otyugra

I'm throwing my hat into the ring for the first time in two years!! Let's see if two years of experience has taught me how to meet a three-day deadline, haha. I am attempting to make a re-imagining of Hippy Business Balloon! In this game, you spiral up the walls of a cavern looking for treasure to sell at your shop. You will all get to finally see what I originally had in mind for a dungeon shop simulator.

Micah_DS

I'm a bit behind and not sure my platformer/overhead/shmup genre switching concept was the greatest idea, but here's what I have so far.

The concept relies heavily on level design and this test level has no such thing, so perhaps it'll actually shape up into something good.

It's strange though. I wanted to create a game where the genre switching worked together for more cohesive gameplay, but the funny thing is that it lessens the impact so it might seem like a poor use of the theme?
But maybe I'm wrong because I'm tired and slightly feverish. I'm gonna grab some sleep and go at it tomorrow.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
These are interesting themes. And some promising entries so far, judging by the screen shots.

I'm eager to see entries that incorporate multiple themes, maybe even all three. If they're well made, those would get extra points in my voting.

NightFrost

Progress so far... yeah, doing a basic tile turner sort of related to "charging up" theme where you need to connect source at the left to target at the right. Maze generator is in, maze shuffler (random rotation of all tiles) is in, tile rotation is in, connectivity check is in. Also reshuffles if after initial shuffle the maze is detected to be already connected. Until most/all game functionality is in, graphics will be just squares and lines...

G

GVmG

So many of us coming back... what is this, the GMC Jam's Smash Bros Ultimate?

On the bad side of things, Imma take a small break (which I was going to anyway) because for whatever reasons my sounds sometimes just don't play. None of them. Not even close. They don't even try. And it's completely random. Tried changing files, exporting differently, compressed/uncompressed, different ways to trigger them, but nope. They only work one out of three times (as in, one out of three game runs). And the same's in the IDE too.

O

Otyugra

I think it's fantastic that many long-time members have come together! Being a part of the same competition as friends and people who inspire me is great, and I especially love it when those same people make a serious entry.

This is a cool little meter that tracks when you're about to rise a block higher. I love the MS-DOS CGA color palette.

G

GVmG

You may be strongest in summer, but I have the power of wasting 8 hours trying to understand why GM Studio fails to make any sound 80% of the times I run the game.

Turns out it's not my fault, cause Studio is failing to initialize the audio device (???)

Went through google and there is NOTHING about this. Nice. Only answers I find are Linux problems. My settings are all fine, everything is fine, the way I'm playing audio is fine (it works a solid 20% of times) but it just doesn't want to cooperate.

Guess my only bet is to submit the game without audio.

TL;DR I have the power of no audio. Smh I had even implemented a button that toggles audio like in the good old GMC Jam times...

QuickEDIT: everything else works, it's just Studio that for some reason derps the audio.

lolslayer

Job and girlfriend are taking more time than expected, my project will sadly not turn out to be anything significant :(

Mercerenies

Job and girlfriend are taking more time than expected, my project will sadly not turn out to be anything significant :(
Psssh, you should try my strategy. Send your girlfriend to the opposite side of the country for Jam weekend. Worked like a charm.

In related news, I think I'm done, actually. Game is posted on GameJolt. Got all the levels, audio, credits screen, all the usual suspects.
https://gamejolt.com/games/cave_laser/364023

E: Also, I haven't heard anything from @Alice since the Jam started. Does anyone know if she's participating?

Last edited:
O

Otyugra

TFW you spend four hours trying to get a balloon to collide with a wall when the problem all along was something stupidly simple:

I'm officially adding content now! Morning One is a quarter made.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Snail Man

Giving up on dynamic multilayered music in my game cuz audio_sync groups are givin' me trouble. I'm gonna set up the framework for implementing music that I compose tomorrow, then call it a night.

curato

I guess my dev blog is done... I don't know if I am pushing the limit on something but I can't add anything else without losing something else important.

G

GVmG

I took a (way too long break) yesterday cause that audio bug really destroyed my morale. I'll try getting some extra elements down and finish at least the first stage, cause there's no way to finish this game in time.

On the good side of things, I finished watching Haibane Renmei if anyone's interested in anime and all that weeb stuff.

Coded Games

I probably won't finish this game. I ran into more technical difficulties and am too busy with other things this weekend. Unfortunort.

Status
Not open for further replies.