1. Hey! Guest! The 33rd GMC Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and May 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 30 / XXX / Discussion

Discussion in 'GMC Jam' started by NAL, Jul 27, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bearman_18

Bearman_18 Member

Well, I think I missed this one. Lol. Next time for sure, I'm scheduling AROUND the jam. Looking forward to what weird stuff comes of this!

Good luck, chaps!

2. Misty

Misty Member

Dunno. Themes are kind of lame, switching bodies would have been funnier and more interesting.

So if I lose, let it be known, it is not because i suck, but, because I couldnt think of anything for the themes.

3. GVmG

GVmG Rainfall

5 Hours in, got some basic stuff in. Maybe I should focus more on gameplay and the actual themes before doing lore and animations like the textbox stuff...

NAAAAAAAAAH.

NightFrost and HayManMarc like this.
  4. Dec0y

Dec0y Member

So do I get to pick one of the 3 themes? I don't understand, do we need to incorporate all 3 somehow?

Never mind... tl;dr... :)

5. GVmG

GVmG Rainfall

Picking a theme isn't a requirement, but it is suggested. Only one is fine.

Dec0y likes this.
  6. Master Maker

Master Maker Member

I have one question: Do I get bonus points for using more than one of the themes?

7. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

If it doesn't feel forced, then you might fare better in ratings. If I saw a game that gracefully combined two or three of the themes, then I would look favorably upon it. But if I saw one that just forced three separate concepts into the game and they don't mesh well, then that would count against it, in my mind.

E: What do you guys think of the color scheme? I'm not sold on it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    HayManMarc likes this.
  8. Laura

Laura Member

Hey everyone, I'm in with @Darzoz!

9. Darzoz

Darzoz Member

hi everyone, I need to post 2 more times to add links to my posts so i am also posting here to say that I am entering with my gf Laura who is the best <3

HayManMarc likes this.
  10. Snail Man

Snail Man Member

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in months because of school and other life things making me busy all the time, but I am in.
    Devlog forthcoming -- I'm planning to use 2/3 the themes.

Otyugra, chance and HayManMarc like this.
  11. JacobV

JacobV Member

This is my first time giving a player a complex moveset; I'm pretty happy with it so far!

big swoosh.gif

whirl.gif

12. GVmG

GVmG Rainfall

mmmmmh... I think that first attack is *a little bit* too strong.

Just a little bit.

EDIT: and day one is down. 10 hours in, fixed the first attack's animation, timing, and now it can actually known down your shields as opposed to that video where it really just spammed a debug message in the console.

gonna go sleep for today. which means watch some anime and then sleep. gonna wake up at like 9am if everything goes according to plan.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  13. JacobV

JacobV Member

14. TehPilot

TehPilot Member

[​IMG]

Video game laboratory?

15. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

Holy cow, these game are looking fantastic! If I'm able to get anything made, it will look like rocks compared to these gems. Nice job so far, guys!

John Andrews likes this.
  16. Otyugra

Otyugra Member

[​IMG]
    I'm throwing my hat into the ring for the first time in two years!! Let's see if two years of experience has taught me how to meet a three-day deadline, haha. I am attempting to make a re-imagining of Hippy Business Balloon! In this game, you spiral up the walls of a cavern looking for treasure to sell at your shop. You will all get to finally see what I originally had in mind for a dungeon shop simulator.

Mercerenies, HayManMarc and Micah_DS like this.
  17. Snail Man

Snail Man Member

Almost done with the game part of my game already. I'm pretty excited about it, it turned out a lot more fun than I anticipated!
    [​IMG]

Sleepin' time.

HayManMarc and Micah_DS like this.
  18. Adrien Dittrick

Adrien Dittrick Member

I am in for "SWITCH BETWEEN DIFFERENT GENRES"

19. sylvain_l

sylvain_l Member

I 200% second that.

Bearman_18 and Master Maker like this.
  20. CodeManu

CodeManu Member

My first day:

Managed to do a lot of things, and I'm crazy enough to make 3 musics for every time of the day, plus changing the ambient sounds of the beach, fire, critters and jungle based on positioning. o_O

21. Micah_DS

Micah_DS Member

I'm a bit behind and not sure my platformer/overhead/shmup genre switching concept was the greatest idea, but here's what I have so far.
    .[​IMG]
    The concept relies heavily on level design and this test level has no such thing, so perhaps it'll actually shape up into something good.

It's strange though. I wanted to create a game where the genre switching worked together for more cohesive gameplay, but the funny thing is that it lessens the impact so it might seem like a poor use of the theme?
    But maybe I'm wrong because I'm tired and slightly feverish. I'm gonna grab some sleep and go at it tomorrow.

HollandHaas and HayManMarc like this.
  22. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

Here's what I've managed to scrape together so far.... movement. o_O

[​IMG]

23. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

These are interesting themes. And some promising entries so far, judging by the screen shots.

I'm eager to see entries that incorporate multiple themes, maybe even all three. If they're well made, those would get extra points in my voting.

24. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

Progress so far... yeah, doing a basic tile turner sort of related to "charging up" theme where you need to connect source at the left to target at the right. Maze generator is in, maze shuffler (random rotation of all tiles) is in, tile rotation is in, connectivity check is in. Also reshuffles if after initial shuffle the maze is detected to be already connected. Until most/all game functionality is in, graphics will be just squares and lines...

[​IMG]

25. The M

The M Member

A little progress on my end too. It'll get harder from here.
    [​IMG]

26. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

Hey, so I'm not the only one returning after a two-year hiatus! Welcome back!

Otyugra likes this.
  27. Snail Man

Snail Man Member

Does the first serious entry in two years count?

Otyugra likes this.
  28. GVmG

GVmG Rainfall

So many of us coming back... what is this, the GMC Jam's Smash Bros Ultimate?

On the bad side of things, Imma take a small break (which I was going to anyway) because for whatever reasons my sounds sometimes just don't play. None of them. Not even close. They don't even try. And it's completely random. Tried changing files, exporting differently, compressed/uncompressed, different ways to trigger them, but nope. They only work one out of three times (as in, one out of three game runs). And the same's in the IDE too.

Otyugra likes this.
  29. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

We were all lured in by the promise of a XXX GMC Jam.

30. Otyugra

Otyugra Member

I think it's fantastic that many long-time members have come together! Being a part of the same competition as friends and people who inspire me is great, and I especially love it when those same people make a serious entry.

[​IMG]

This is a cool little meter that tracks when you're about to rise a block higher. I love the MS-DOS CGA color palette.

Micah_DS, The M, GVmG and 1 other person like this.
  31. TehPilot

TehPilot Member

The summer GMC Jam, where I am strongest, has an irresistable siren call...

32. GVmG

GVmG Rainfall

You may be strongest in summer, but I have the power of wasting 8 hours trying to understand why GM Studio fails to make any sound 80% of the times I run the game.

Turns out it's not my fault, cause Studio is failing to initialize the audio device (???)
    [​IMG]

Went through google and there is NOTHING about this. Nice. Only answers I find are Linux problems. My settings are all fine, everything is fine, the way I'm playing audio is fine (it works a solid 20% of times) but it just doesn't want to cooperate.

Guess my only bet is to submit the game without audio.

TL;DR I have the power of no audio. Smh I had even implemented a button that toggles audio like in the good old GMC Jam times...

QuickEDIT: everything else works, it's just Studio that for some reason derps the audio.

33. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

@GVmG You had to know this was coming but.... have you tried turning it off and back on?

34. GVmG

GVmG Rainfall

oh yes, I'm starting to take into consideration a hard reset through the third floor window

Bearman_18 likes this.
  35. The M

The M Member

The Ultimate XXX GMC Jam? Sure, why not. :p

Here's a little more progress:
    [​IMG]

36. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

Joining the screenshot party.
    [​IMG]
    The goal on each floor is to collect all of the gold bars. The blue energy orbs give you special abilities that allow you to break down walls in different ways.

37. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

Job and girlfriend are taking more time than expected, my project will sadly not turn out to be anything significant :(

38. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

Psssh, you should try my strategy. Send your girlfriend to the opposite side of the country for Jam weekend. Worked like a charm.

In related news, I think I'm done, actually. Game is posted on GameJolt. Got all the levels, audio, credits screen, all the usual suspects.
    https://gamejolt.com/games/cave_laser/364023

E: Also, I haven't heard anything from @Alice since the Jam started. Does anyone know if she's participating?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Otyugra likes this.
  39. Snail Man

Snail Man Member

Working on the fiddly hard stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Still gotta do music/audio too.

HayManMarc and Shadow_Lancer like this.
  40. Otyugra

Otyugra Member

TFW you spend four hours trying to get a balloon to collide with a wall when the problem all along was something stupidly simple:
    [​IMG]

I'm officially adding content now! Morning One is a quarter made.

41. Snail Man

Snail Man Member

Giving up on dynamic multilayered music in my game cuz audio_sync groups are givin' me trouble. I'm gonna set up the framework for implementing music that I compose tomorrow, then call it a night.

42. CodeManu

CodeManu Member

[​IMG]
    Buildings, npcs, enemies, health/hunger, death, main menu and more stuff added on Day 2. I shall start adding content now as the core game seems solid now. :)

43. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

Made a logo...

[​IMG]

...and got the ol' DevLog going (Elevator GIFs!).
    (Darn those DevLogs take up so much time!)

chance likes this.
  44. curato

curato Member

I guess my dev blog is done... I don't know if I am pushing the limit on something but I can't add anything else without losing something else important.

45. GVmG

GVmG Rainfall

I took a (way too long break) yesterday cause that audio bug really destroyed my morale. I'll try getting some extra elements down and finish at least the first stage, cause there's no way to finish this game in time.

On the good side of things, I finished watching Haibane Renmei if anyone's interested in anime and all that weeb stuff.

46. Snail Man

Snail Man Member

I'm so close to done. I just need to compose a few music tracks and then I'm done done!

Sk8dududu likes this.
  47. orSQUADstra

orSQUADstra Member

Argh I missed the jam :(

48. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

Missed? You've got 16 hours. Go make the best game in history! :D

The M likes this.
  49. orSQUADstra

orSQUADstra Member

Oh? I thought I only had a few hours left lol
    I'll just make what I can under 16 hours then xD

The M and HayManMarc like this.
  50. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

I'll have 5 sleepy hours (after work) to finish mine. I don't think I'll make it. :( (Going to work now.)

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.