OFFICIAL GMC Archive Celebration of Life Tutorial Jam

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
GMC Archive Celebration of Life Tutorial Jam
25 November 2019 - 7 January 2020

In response to the upcoming removal of the GMC Archive, @Wayfarer, @Nocturne and @FrostyCat are organizing a tutorial porting/rewriting jam for reference material on the GMC Archive. Through this event, we hope to revitalize the memory of the GMC Archive, and to refresh the current GMC's tutorial/example reserves for the year ahead. We invite your assistance in identifying content to preserve and updating the content for GMS 2. Not only can your participation contribute to the GMC's ongoing heritage, it can also expand your writing skills and understanding of GML, and make you a better developer in 2020.

How do I Join?
You can join by sending an edit permission request on any of the task list Google Sheets below. Please cite your GMC user name on the request.

Task List (Hosted by @Wayfarer)

What Do I Do?
  • Scan through as many unmarked URLs listed on the task list as you wish, and mark it in one of the following ways. Sign off on it by placing your user name in the MARKED BY column.
    • Replacement Content Available: The URL's subject matter is covered by a more up-to-date tutorial or example. Put in "Replace" for the ACTION column, and cite the URL to the replacement content in the ACTION INFO column.

• Duplicates redevelopment: The URL's subject matter is a duplicate of another URL on the list slated for redevelopment (see below). Put in "Duplicate" for the ACTION column, and cite the number at the end of the URL (e.g. 427390) in the ACTION INFO column.

• Redevelopment Needed: The URL's subject matter is still relevant AND not adequately represented in other existing sources, but doesn't run out of the box and/or needs other adaptations to run in GMS 2. Put in "Redevelop" for the ACTION column. Then place your user name in the ACTION INFO column if you can convert/update it yourself, OR your user name followed by 3 exclamation marks and a GMS version number if you can redevelop the tutorial but need someone with GMS 1.4 (yourusername!!!1) or GMS 2.2.4 (yourusername!!!2) to convert it, OR ??? if you cannot work on the content but would like another member to do it.

• Obsolete: The URL's subject matter is no longer applicable to GMS 2 (e.g. trigger events), or have been superceded by updated functionality (e.g. 39DLL/Faucet), or the only links to project files are broken without recourse. Put in "Discard" for the ACTION column, and a brief reason in ACTION INFO.
  • Convert/update the content that you claimed for redevelopment. Please post in one of the following topics with the edited/rewritten content and links to your GMS 2.2.4 output:

Guidelines
  • Please download content that you wish to convert or keep ASAP. The live gmc.yoyogames.com site will close permanently on December 17.

• Please use the Redevelop option only as a last-resort. The goal here is not to preserve every entry, but to find unrepresented subject matters and unmet needs. Check for duplicates within the list and replacement content on the GMC, YouTube and other sources first.

• Please DO NOT write in or erase cells that other participants have already written in without discussing with that member. Exception: You may replace ??? in the ACTION INFO column if you can commit to converting/redeveloping the tutorial, or erase the !!!1 or !!!2 after you help that member with the import.

• Please fully credit the original author in your conversion, and include a link to its archived page on web.archive.org. Exception: You may skip this only if you completely rewrite the content.

Dealing with GM Legacy Files
Many of the entries in the GMC Archive use legacy versions of GM, and have project files with extensions .gm81 (8.1), .gmk (7.0-8.0), .gm6 (6.x) or .gmd (4.x-5.x). Follow this general workflow to convert it to GMS 2 form:
  • Open the file in 8.1 (if you have it) or LateralGM (if you don't have any legacy versions).

• Check the resource names and rename all offending resources. This option is filed under Scripts > Check Resource Names in 8.1, and Resources > Check Names in LateralGM.

• Re-save as .gm81.

• (skip if you don't have 8.1) Run the file and make sure it is error-free.

• Import the .gm81 file into GMS 1.4. If you don't have GMS 1.4, please upload the .gm81 file and flag for help using yourusername!!!1 in the Redevelop column.

• Check for resource name conflicts (using Scripts > Check Resource Names) and script errors from obsolete functions (using Scripts > Check All Scripts), and fix them as appropriate. Run the project and make sure it is error-free.

• Import the GMS 1.4 project into GMS 2.2.4. If you don't have GMS 2.2.4, please upload the project as .gmz and flag for help using yourusername!!!2 in the Redevelop column.

• Look in the compatibility report for conversion errors/conflicts (under Notes), fix any remaining compile/resource errors and minimize the use of compatibility scripts whenever possible. Run the project and make sure it is error-free.

• Save the resulting project as .yyz (File > Export Project) and upload this final result.

Resources

Happy tutorial and resource jamming!

For 3d breakout tutorial (Staff Choice), the download link is still available via archived sandbox:
https://web.archive.org/web/2014101...stickmans-breakout-source3d-breakout-tutorial
Written in GM6, for maximum backward compatibility!

..if anyone actually wants to convert it? :) 3d Breakouts not too popular.

Nice initiative guys. Would be cool if YYG's threw a few bones to the community as they convert these. Every tutorial converted to GMS2 standard is great for them, too. @Nocturne

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
For 3d breakout tutorial (Staff Choice), the download link is still available via archived sandbox:
https://web.archive.org/web/2014101...stickmans-breakout-source3d-breakout-tutorial
Written in GM6, for maximum backward compatibility!

..if anyone actually wants to convert it? :) 3d Breakouts not too popular.

Nice initiative guys. Would be cool if YYG's threw a few bones to the community as they convert these. Every tutorial converted to GMS2 standard is great for them, too. @Nocturne
Thank you for the information, I have changed that entry's status from Discard to Redevelop.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
My tutorial Making Menus (P1. Components, Containers, Layouts) has some potentially useful information, but parts of it will become irrelevant once changes in GML are implemented (especially the OOP emulation stuff).

I'd rather rewrite it from scratch once GML updates are added, especially since the tutorial has lots of unneeded text. I guess it makes its status "Discard" rather than "Redevelop"?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Everyone: If you suspect that a tutorial for redevelopment will be significantly altered by the GML 2020 updates, please add the suffix "(GML 2020)" to the ACTION INFO column. We will follow-up with those after GMS 2.3 is released. Still, as our resources are limited, please prioritize Replace and Duplicate before marking as Redevelop.

My tutorial Making Menus (P1. Components, Containers, Layouts) has some potentially useful information, but parts of it will become irrelevant once changes in GML are implemented (especially the OOP emulation stuff).
I'd rather rewrite it from scratch once GML updates are added, especially since the tutorial has lots of unneeded text. I guess it makes its status "Discard" rather than "Redevelop"?
I see the issue as well, and all the array and "GML for beginners" tutorials will likely share the same problem. If you intend to rewrite it, you can mark it as Redevelop under your name plus the suffix "(GML 2020)". Please also search through the list for tutorials on the same subject and mark them as duplicates.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
If you intend to rewrite it, you can mark it as Redevelop under your name plus the suffix "(GML 2020)". Please also search through the list for tutorials on the same subject and mark them as duplicates.
Marked the tutorial as you said. Also, I scanned through tutorial titles and opened a few that sounded like they might have something similar, but I've found nothing close to the concept I describe in my tutorial (i.e. containers-and-components layout, as opposed to plenitude of basic menu examples).