• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android GM_version not working on 2.3

Alec20

I use GM_version to print the game version on the screen (android, set to 0.3.5), upgraded the proyect to 2.3 and now it always print 1.0.0.0 (like the version format on windows, but it isn't even grabbing the windows version, which I changed to 0.0.0.0 for testing this)
Is there any changes with GM_version variable? or is it a bug?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I remember that this function has problems and it hasn't worked properly for a long time, but I don't know if they have actually fixed it...

chirpy

I can confirm that it was working in 2.2.5 and failed to work in 2.3 now. I'll file a bug report since I don't see it on mantis.
Also, be careful that any change in Amazon Fire game options seems to corrupt Android game options now. :mad:

Tornado

This is a horrible bug! I almost got a heart attack. I thought first that our encryption of INI files was broken! (we save version to INI file)
I did not see your bug report on this on bugs.yoyogames.com? Have you filed one?
I'll file a report immediatelly!!!
In worst case we won't be able to deliver the update of our game at stores.
(We migrated our game to GMS 2.3 couple of days ago)

Last edited:
B

BACANAKBROS

The problem still persists. I think, fixing this problem is not really hard :confused:

clee2005

Slightly related to this stuff is the fact that they changed the default config label from "default" to "Default". So if you were checking for that in your code with os_get_config() then it might not be evaluating as expected anymore. Messed up some of my code.

Tornado

Slightly related to this stuff is the fact that they changed the default config label from "default" to "Default". So if you were checking for that in your code with os_get_config() then it might not be evaluating as expected anymore. Messed up some of my code.
Thank you!
Unbelievable that some things are not in the Release Notes!

clee2005

I just found that in 2.3.1 (maybe 2.3.0 as well) the Amazon Fire config is the version that shows for Android. So if you want your app to reflect properly using GM_Version then set the Amazon Fire config AND the Android config version numbers to be the same, and then you'll get what you want ... hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Tornado

I just found that in 2.3.1 (maybe 2.3.0 as well) the Amazon Fire config is the version that shows for Android. So if you want your app to reflect properly using GM_Version then set the Amazon Fire config AND the Android config version numbers to be the same, and then you'll get what you want ... hopefully it gets fixed soon!
We abandoned using GM_version as soon as it was broken!
We created our own macro holding the version of the app:
#macro APP_VERSION "1.0.16"
and now we only use that in our code.

B

BACANAKBROS

Sadly, it didn't work 2.3.0.xx

B

BACANAKBROS

We abandoned using GM_version as soon as it was broken!
We created our own macro holding the version of the app:
#macro APP_VERSION "1.0.16"
and now we only use that in our code.
Macro is best solution for now.