• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED GM8.1 Keyboard inputs when changing rooms

Silb

Hello,

When changing rooms Game Maker 8.1 seems to randomly not recognize keyboard inputs, forcing the player to (in case of movement) release and hold the button again. The weirdest part is that it doesn't happen every time, only sometimes. I've looked through the manual, and keyboard_check_direct seems to work, but it also causes inputs to happen when the game isn't in focus.

It's not a big issue, but is there any way to fix this?

TheouAegis

Are you using room transitions? I don't remember if that played a part in it.

I think I ended up just saving keyboard inputs to a global variable. I don't remember what I tried anymore, since my GM8 PC died..GM8 had a lot of bugs, but I still liked it. lol

Silb

I don't use the built-in transitions, so the room changes instantly. I'll try messing around with global variables.

S

SSJCoder

you'll probably want a DLL/extension that deals with window focus, if you can find it. I use this in GM8 and I think I also wrote my own DLL for it, idk how well this would work in GM 8.1.

Basically you check if window is in focus then only take inputs if it is.

Silb

That's a good idea! I found an old .dll from 2005 called GMFocus, hopefully it'll work with 8.1.

Edit: it worked! Thank you both for the help! :D

Last edited: