• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GM8.1 + Audacity = Muted Sound?

A

Alex Lyons

As of recently, whenever I edit a .wav file in Audacity and import it into Gamemaker 8.1, the sound does not
play in-game or in the editor. Whenever the cue for the sound occurs in-game, it does not play and cuts
all current sounds that are playing.

Is there any fix to this?

A

Adhiesc

I'm sure it's not Audacity's fault, it's the game code's fault.

R

renex

Attach one of those problem waves, I'll take a look and see what's up with it.

J

Jaqueta

Here's a few things you can do:
- Don't use GM8.1, it's obsolete. Get GMS or GMS2 instead.

IF YOU REALLY NEED TO USE IT.
Make sure that you:
- Don't use MP3 files, they are copyrighted. Use OGG instead.
- Use FMOD, it's free for non-commercial purposes. Or other sound engine that it isn't the built-in GM8 Audio Engine, it's terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurent57

On reading many posts, I'm not sure that GMS is better than GM8. There are probably many many interesting features but we code very well in GM8, for PC in all cases there are enough extensions to do beautiful things. Many users seem to complain about bugs on GMS, Yoyo games make money like Apple. But the quality is not here.

R

renex

I'm not sure that GMS is better than GM8
Turning point for me was 3 years ago, dude. I love shaders. Also off topic... Let's not turn this thread into yet another GM8 vs. GMS thread.

OP needs to post the broken wave file.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
GM8.x has a fundamental audio issue due to Microsoft not fixing underlying bugs in driver they no longer care about. This will just get worse and worse as time goes on. Unless your going to use an external DLL for ALL audio, your going to run fowl of bad audio and crashes.

A

Alex Lyons

I also tried a beta of Audacity 1.2.3 that supposedly has Windows 10 sound drivers, but that too does not work when a GM game is played.

I tried Windows 10's official sound editor and it was absolute garbage. Anyone know of a free sound editor like Audacity that isn't crap?

A

Alex Lyons

Okay, I tried Audacity for my Macbook and believe or not, it actually fixed the issue. The sound is now playing in Gamemaker!

It's inefficient to have to use two computers to do one action, but it works.