• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

(GM6 game/windows) game gets blurry if window gets resized.

Lucky Bacon

Hello! I wanted to record a playthrough of a game, that was made in GM6 i think. It probably doesnt matter since it does that with other games. However, the window size is just too small, and i really want the best quality when i increase the window size. from 480x360 to 1440x1080, so scale of 3.
I know the game has pixel interpolation off, but when the window is scaled up, it still becomes blurry.
On my previous laptop, this was also the case. BUT, if i put anything transparent over the game window, the blurriness goes away, and the game is amazing looking. But in this laptop, this no longer works.
The graphics on the game are like on the NES or SNES.

How can i fix this?

Windows 10
MSI laptop,
Nvidia GTX960
intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz

Last edited:

Lucky Bacon

Give people a little time to reply, usually at least 48hrs, we have lives lol.

Check out these 2 threads which should help you out:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-properly-scale-your-game.995/

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...-aspect-ratio-management-for-game-maker.7106/
I was 6 hours off from 48 hours, posted now since i wont be here tomorrow, and threads gets buried very quickly.

I have already seen these threads, and i have no access to the game's code since it is not mine. The game i want to record a playthrough of was made in Game Maker 6, very old.
So all i can do is resize the window only.

You should see if OnTopReplica works for your case.
I just tried that, but the graphics still gets blurry at double size.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

I was 6 hours off from 48 hours, posted now since i wont be here tomorrow, and threads gets buried very quickly.

I have already seen these threads, and i have no access to the game's code since it is not mine. The game i want to record a playthrough of was made in Game Maker 6, very old.
So all i can do is resize the window only.

I just tried that, but the graphics still gets blurry at double size.
Yeah, I said "at least" and wasn't talking about your bump, I was talking about why you may have had no responses, but whatever.

Have you tried magnifying the game window and recording that?
Press Window + Plus on the keyboard and see how it looks.

Lucky Bacon

Yeah, I said "at least" and wasn't talking about your bump, I was talking about why you may have had no responses, but whatever.

Have you tried magnifying the game window and recording that?
Press Window + Plus on the keyboard and see how it looks.
I was hoping so much this one would work! but the recorder doesn't work well at all with magnified screen. Huge pain to work with the recorder like that, and game colors are wrong a bit in the video.
If the magnifier is windowed, the framerate in it is low.

rIKmAN

I was hoping so much this one would work! but the recorder doesn't work well at all with magnified screen. Huge pain to work with the recorder like that, and game colors are wrong a bit in the video.
If the magnifier is windowed, the framerate in it is low.
Ah shame, it did seem too easy to be true.

Have a look at this link and see if any of them might work for you?
If not I'm out of ideas, sorry!

Lucky Bacon

Well i found this thing: http://www.imgpresents.com/magnify/magdemo
Turns out the "ugly colors" was the media player it was playing in, since it is perfect in Premiere Pro.
Only frustating thing is, since i need the magnifier window to be so big, almost 1440x1080, the fit on my screen is PIXEL PERFECT horizontally, and if that wasnt enough, to record the game, my mouse / magnifying position also has to be pixel perfect. It is somewhat of a pain, but it seems to work perfectly, for now, and i am happy. Since i barely have time to test more, i wont mark this as resolved yet, but odds are looking good.
Honestly, thanks to your idea, this is why i found this. I forgot about magnifiers being a thing, since i was so stuck at googling "Window nearest neighbor scaling" or similar. So, thank you!

I'm just afraid of when its gonna stop working, and start asking me money, when it has bugs that forced me to reboot. :/