• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GM2 Not Opening Despite Multiple Uninstall/Reinstalls

D

Dion

First time posting for help so hello GameMaker troubleshooters! I hope this ends up in the right place.

The problem:
GM2 does not open... at all... even when I'm looking at task manager.

Last known time it did work:
I was able to open it last week. I was of going through one of Heartbeast's books on GML and doing examples in GM2 for practice. It mysteriously stopped about 3 days ago.

What I've tried so far:
Through searching online I find a GameMaker Updater Problem guide that said to do the following:
  • Manually move the contents of the /Upgrade/ folder to the /GameMaker-Studio/ (or /GameMaker/ for 8.1) folder. There was no such folder on my computer.
  • Delete the /GameMaker-Studio/Upgrade/ folder and relaunch (Note: This will download the update again). Could not do this because there was no such folder on my computer.
  • Uninstall and then re-install GameMaker again (this will install the latest version). Tried this. Did not work.
Next I tried disabling my antivirus and opening. Did not work.

Next I tried disabling my antivirus and opening offline. Did not work.

Next I tried uninstalling and installing offline. Did not work.

Next I tried removing any "ghost-ish" files that were gamemaker left overs from any versions ever on my computer. Then uninstalling and reinstalling. Did not work.

So to be clear I had this issue before I downloaded the latest major update.
I have the same issue after I downloaded the latest major update.

Any ideas to what could be going on? I currently have Windows 10 Home . My antivirus is Avast. Windows Defender is disabled. If there is additional info you need let me know.

Did you try disabling the antivirus and uninstalling/reinstalling.

Also GMS 2 requires an internet connection to download/verify the latest run times are installed when it first runs after an installation.

Check your ui.log file to see if there are any relevant error messages.

Next step would be to contact the yoyo help desk for support I think.

rIKmAN

Try turning off Windows Firewall, or any other firewall type software you might have installed.
Make sure Windows is fully up to date via Windows Update.

D

Dion

[SOLVED]

Thanks for the suggestions. I applied them.
This is what worked for me.
  1. Uninstall GM2
  2. Download most recent version of GM but don't run it yet!
  3. Update everything in your system that needs an update.
  4. Set your computer up for a FRESH install by running "regedit" to find and delete those old gamemaker files still lingering around
  5. Disable your antivirus/firewall/your cyber internet guardian
  6. Connect to the internet but do not open a browser
  7. Now run the GM install
  8. Gamemaker should open and go through that massive update.
    • Its going to take A WHILE.
    • You might even think its stuck. Its not, it just takes that long.
    • To kill time I played a movie while it was going.
  9. Once GM's IDE loads turn back on your antivirus/firewall/cyber guardian
  10. Check if it works by closing GM and reopening

Hope that helps someone out there. When in doubt just try the fresh install approach.
I wish it was emphasized. Took me a while to find that bit of info.

C

Cowlord

When I have this problem I delete the game maker folders in %appdata% %localappdata%... you'll have to redo all your settings but this is the only solution I've found.