• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS GM2 Can NOT Load Project!!!

12ashbaker

Two weeks ago I successfully installed my game on an iPhones 5s. It worked fine, some minor fps drops here and there but that is expected as it is an older phone and I am using the VM compiler not the YYC yet. However now when trying to install the game on that same iPhone 5s or an iPhone 6 the game successfully compiles, no errors, goes to Xcode and then I install it through Xcode onto the device and I get no errors it installs fine. Then I open the game up on the phone and the splash screen shows up and it stays on the splash screen and the game music starts playing and then after 10 seconds the music starts glitching out and then it crashes. The first room never appears, it always on the splash screen. However... the game runs perfectly fine on the iPhone X and works on the iPhone 7 and 7 plus fine (except with a major slowdown 3 days after installing it). I have no idea what could be causing the problem. Last week I was messing around with trying to get it work on android after it worked and then never worked again, maybe something I did with that may have messed something up? I am getting no errors at all. Except for the usual 6 Xcode warnings that are always there but those aren't errors just warnings and they have always been there even when I got it working fine on the 5s two weeks ago. Is there a way to see what is causing the crash through Xcode?Anybody have any ideas?

***Update: I was trying to run in debug mode and got an error. Earlier Game Maker couldn't find a file named "Untilted_Artwork_2" for some reason so I manually added another sprite with that name name and then when I went to debug it I got an error saying there was a duplicate with that name so I deleted the one I just added and then tried to stop the debug so I could clean the cache and try again. Then it just kept trying to go forward with the build so I force quit GM2 and when I went to open my project back up it won't even open and it says Project load failed. Unable to load. Here is a screenshot:Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.16.33 PM.png
Now what do I do???

Ruimm

I've had a similar issue when using external source control. sometimes the syncing of the source control would conflict with GM and corrupt the project and prevent me from saving it and, later on, from opening it.
The solution that I found here in the forum is, the next time it happens:
1- use the "save as" to save as a different project.
2- replace your project file with the one that you saved using the "save as"

don't know if it will help in your case but it might help the next time something like that happens. Also, make sure you don't have dropbox, source control or any other software that will sync your files when you have GM open.

12ashbaker

I've had a similar issue when using external source control. sometimes the syncing of the source control would conflict with GM and corrupt the project and prevent me from saving it and, later on, from opening it.
The solution that I found here in the forum is, the next time it happens:
1- use the "save as" to save as a different project.
2- replace your project file with the one that you saved using the "save as"

don't know if it will help in your case but it might help the next time something like that happens. Also, make sure you don't have dropbox, source control or any other software that will sync your files when you have GM open.
Thanks for the reply. I would try to do save as but I can't even open the project. I do have dropbox installed on my computer but I turned it off and tried again and it still failed. Should I completely uninstall dropbox?

Edit: Just tried manually deleting to cache through the files and still can't open the project

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruimm

Thanks for the reply. I would try to do save as but I can't even open the project. I do have dropbox installed on my computer but I turned it off and tried again and it still failed. Should I completely uninstall dropbox?

Edit: Just tried manually deleting to cache through the files and still can't open the project
you don't have to delete dropbox, just be sure that it is turned off whenever you use GM. Can you check your project file? when it happened to me it was 0bytes in size (it was completely empty). If it is, then I'm afraid your option is to create another project and import all assets into the new one... :(

12ashbaker

you don't have to delete dropbox, just be sure that it is turned off whenever you use GM. Can you check your project file? when it happened to me it was 0bytes in size (it was completely empty). If it is, then I'm afraid your option is to create another project and import all assets into the new one... :(
The project file says it is 635.7 MB...

The project file says it is 635.7 MB...
Is that your entire project folder size, because that's what it sounds like.

I think @Ruimm was asking about the size of your *.yyp file.

Also, try loading your project and then after it fails, check the ui.log report, it may mention what asset / error that the project loading is getting stuck on.

12ashbaker

Is that your entire project folder size, because that's what it sounds like.

I think @Ruimm was asking about the size of your *.yyp file.

Also, try loading your project and then after it fails, check the ui.log report, it may mention what asset / error that the project loading is getting stuck on.
The project file (.yyp) is a text file.
If you have a 635mb project file then something is seriously wrong.

edit: ninja'd by IndianaBones!
Oh the entire project folder is the 635mb, the .yyp inside of it says zero KB. How do I check the Ui.log report?

rIKmAN

Oh the entire project folder is the 635mb, the .yyp inside of it says zero KB. How do I check the Ui.log report?
In the IDE go to Help > Open Log in Explorer.

It will probably be full of loads of previous log info, so either delete it or rename / move the existing ui.log, then close the IDE.
Re-open the IDE, open your project, get the error - then check the new fresh ui.log that has been created.

12ashbaker

In the IDE go to Help > Open Log in Explorer.

It will probably be full of loads of previous log info, so either delete it or rename / move the existing ui.log, then close the IDE.
Re-open the IDE, open your project, get the error - then check the new fresh ui.log that has been created.
Here is what it says:
[18:17:47:968(8815)] ResourceManager resources have been cleared
[18:17:48:30(8815)] Setting ProjectFullFilePathMacro to '/Users/adam/Documents/Project Spuntone.yyp/Project Spuntone.yyp'
[18:17:48:31(8815)] Setting ProjectDirMacro to '/Users/adam/Documents/Project Spuntone.yyp'
[18:17:48:31(8815)] Setting ProjectNameMacro to 'Project Spuntone'
[18:17:48:33(8815)] ERROR: '/Users/adam/Documents/Project Spuntone.yyp/Project Spuntone.yyp' is inaccessible, using default layout.
[18:17:48:34(8815)] Loading project layout from: /Users/adam/.config/GameMakerStudio2/12ashbaker_564010/Layouts/Project Spuntone.yyp/Project Spuntone/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.xml
[18:17:48:34(8815)] File exception 'Could not find file "/Users/adam/.config/GameMakerStudio2/12ashbaker_564010/Layouts/Project Spuntone.yyp/Project Spuntone/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.xml".'
[18:17:48:220(8815)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[18:17:48:293(8815)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[18:17:48:371(8815)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[18:17:48:457(8815)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[18:17:48:480(8815)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[18:17:48:516(8815)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[18:17:48:566(8815)] Loading project '/Users/adam/Documents/Project Spuntone.yyp/Project Spuntone.yyp'
[18:17:48:706(8815)] ERROR: Project load failed, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Expecting element 'root' from namespace ''.. Encountered 'None' with name '', namespace ''.
at YoYoStudio.MVC.ResourceManager.DeserialiseProject (System.String _jsonData, System.String _projectPath) [0x000e5] in <074835a5cbb4446fbe9e7cb1695b05ce>:0
at YoYoStudio.Plugins.CorePlugins.ProjectLoadSave.DeserialiseProject (System.String _projectJson, System.String _projectPath) [0x00020] in <48c7ca28799d470d8bff04264a4ab06e>:0
[18:17:48:707(8815)] Load project took 00:00:00.1405032
[18:17:48:747(8815)] ResourceManager resources have been cleared
[18:17:48:987(8815)] Discarding document Output
[18:17:48:997(8815)] Discarding document SearchResults
[18:17:49:7(8815)] Discarding document SourceControl

12ashbaker

So the only solution is to manually, one by one import the thousands of items from my game into a new project?

Why did this happened?

How can it be prevented?

Is there any way to import multiple items at once on a Mac?

Are they ever going to make it so searching through Finder actually works within GM2?

My dozens of issues are going to take years to resolve if every response from the company’s support team takes a month to get back to me. This is rediculous. I am having tons of serious issues and the support is worthless. I’m not talking about the forums. I’m talking about emailing the support team from the company, creating a ticket.

How can anybody recommend Game Maker to anybody else? ....oh yeah buy GM2 you just might end up having your hard years of making a game be completely inaccessible and the entire file becoming corrupt for no reason at all... oh yeah buy GM2 you just might have your android export completely stop working for no reason at all... oh yeah buy GM2 you just might end up with your iOS export crashing on some devices for no reason at all... oh yeah buy GM2 you just might end up with your iOS build completely slowing down after playing it for a couple days for no reason at all.

G

Guest User

I had this problem in GMS1.4, I remember importing file backups from "My Documents" folder, I am pretty sure it did save 5 backups back then, I don't know if GMS2 also stores backups in your documents folder but it worth giving it a try ;)

rIKmAN

So the only solution is to manually, one by one import the thousands of items from my game into a new project?

Why did this happened?

How can it be prevented?

Is there any way to import multiple items at once on a Mac?

Are they ever going to make it so searching through Finder actually works within GM2?

My dozens of issues are going to take years to resolve if every response from the company’s support team takes a month to get back to me. This is rediculous. I am having tons of serious issues and the support is worthless. I’m not talking about the forums. I’m talking about emailing the support team from the company, creating a ticket.

How can anybody recommend Game Maker to anybody else? ....oh yeah buy GM2 you just might end up having your hard years of making a game be completely inaccessible and the entire file becoming corrupt for no reason at all... oh yeah buy GM2 you just might have your android export completely stop working for no reason at all... oh yeah buy GM2 you just might end up with your iOS export crashing on some devices for no reason at all... oh yeah buy GM2 you just might end up with your iOS build completely slowing down after playing it for a couple days for no reason at all.
First, acting like 5yr old isn't gonna help solve your issue, and isn't gonna incline anyone to try and help you - believe it or not you aren't the only customer submitting bug reports.

I once had to wait 3mths to get a simple issue resolved by Apple support that was stopping me from using TestFlight. It happens, not a lot you can do.

It's also unlikely that the problems you are experiencing are "for no reason at all", and while it may be tricky to track down - there is usually a reason that something crashes.

I've seen in other threads you be advised to use Instruments to profile the game on iOS - have you done this yet?

It will help you narrow down what the issues might be and possibly nail the culprit straight away, and before you say you don't know how to use Instruments, you have the Internet and there are loads of guides both on the Apple website and many other places.

My last point would be to not be so dramatic - yes importing your assets might take some time and might be tedious - but would it really take "years"?
No of course not.

On that point - if your project really has "thousands of objects" and is so large then presumably you've spent a decent chunk of time on it?

So why in all this time and with a project that size haven't you been using source control, or have backups stored somewhere for this exact reason?

That sounds like very poor planning on your part that you are now blaming GMS2 for, when data corruption can happen in any engine, any language and in fact any file - your hard drive could die at any moment, you could spill a drink on your laptop or it could get stolen etc.
Then what?

If you had a backup this wouldn't be an issue as you could roll back, so going forward I'd suggest Source Control or at the very least archiving your project directory onto Dropbox / OneDrive regularly.

Now my post might sound harsh but the bottom line is that acting out like a stroppy child won't help, so start trying to think clearly about how you can tackle each of your issues and trying to solve them, and get yourself a backup routine in place to stop this happening again in future.

You can do all this while waiting to hear back from support, because there isn't much you can about that other than wait.

12ashbaker

First, acting like 5yr old isn't gonna help solve your issue, and isn't gonna incline anyone to try and help you - believe it or not you aren't the only customer submitting bug reports.

I once had to wait 3mths to get a simple issue resolved by Apple support that was stopping me from using TestFlight. It happens, not a lot you can do.

It's also unlikely that the problems you are experiencing are "for no reason at all", and while it may be tricky to track down - there is usually a reason that something crashes.

I've seen in other threads you be advised to use Instruments to profile the game on iOS - have you done this yet?

It will help you narrow down what the issues might be and possibly nail the culprit straight away, and before you say you don't know how to use Instruments, you have the Internet and there are loads of guides both on the Apple website and many other places.

My last point would be to not be so dramatic - yes importing your assets might take some time and might be tedious - but would it really take "years"?
No of course not.

On that point - if your project really has "thousands of objects" and is so large then presumably you've spent a decent chunk of time on it?

So why in all this time and with a project that size haven't you been using source control, or have backups stored somewhere for this exact reason?

That sounds like very poor planning on your part that you are now blaming GMS2 for, when data corruption can happen in any engine, any language and in fact any file - your hard drive could die at any moment, you could spill a drink on your laptop or it could get stolen etc.
Then what?

If you had a backup this wouldn't be an issue as you could roll back, so going forward I'd suggest Source Control or at the very least archiving your project directory onto Dropbox / OneDrive regularly.

Now my post might sound harsh but the bottom line is that acting out like a stroppy child won't help, so start trying to think clearly about how you can tackle each of your issues and trying to solve them, and get yourself a backup routine in place to stop this happening again in future.

You can do all this while waiting to hear back from support, because there isn't much you can about that other than wait.
Throwing insults around isn't going to solve any issues either.

How did it take 3 months for Apple support to fix a issue with you not being able to use TestFlight? They have a direct phone line for developers.

Also I know there are others who are having bugs and problems and other people who submit tickets. I just thought that since they took a month to get to my ticket that they would actually reply within the next day or two when I reply back so we can actually have a conversation to fix the problem. My last post was simply bringing up how bad the customer support is, and asking some questions that you never acknowledged, as you tend to always do.

When I was saying that it would take years to solve my problems, I meant if I was going to rely on the support team. When I said it would take years to import everything I was using a thing called exaggeration. And I have asked many times if there is a way to import multiple assets at a time or any way to import them faster and nobody has answered that question. I have looked it up and it says it is possible but from what I have tried it isn't possible on Mac.

And yes you are totally right I should have had a backup. Although I have been so busy with college as I am about to graduate with my Associates degree as a senior in high school. So I have to work very hard to get extra time to work on my game and when I do I am focused on getting things done with the game. I use to backup all the time but since I have been so busy it never crossed my mind. Also I have been having to tackle all these issues which takes even more time away and distracts even more from things like backing up my files. But yes you are right I should have been backing up. And now you are suggesting use source control or dropbox etc. yet people are saying that this is what has caused this Fail to Load issue to occur in the first place!

And yes I am going to to start importing all the files while waiting to hear back from support but after I finish my finals when I will actually have time. But in the meantime I was hoping somebody would advise me on a way to import assets more efficiently. But it seems like this problem ridden software can't do that. So next week I am just going to start doing it one by one.

I am just trying to defend and explain myself here... Lets not start another argument because that isn't going to help anything. Don't reply unless you actually know how to help fix the problem at hand.

rIKmAN

Throwing insults around isn't going to solve any issues either.
I didn't insult you - I stated that you acting like a stroppy teenager isn't going to solve your issue or make people want to help you. Much better to act like a normal person and explain your issues calmly and concisely so people may be able to help without having to wade through the ranting.
How did it take 3 months for Apple support to fix a issue with you not being able to use TestFlight? They have a direct phone line for developers.
Talking to someone on the phone doesn't magically fix an issue on the spot, funnily enough.
It took multiple emails and phone calls (in the double figures) to different departments and being escalated etc - it was 3mths before I finally got a resolution.

These things happen and there isn't much you can do apart from wait.
It sucks but that's the way it is sadly.
When I said it would take years to import everything I was using a thing called exaggeration.
Probably not the best thing to do when trying to describe an issue that you need help with, it's best to be clear, concise and factual.
And yes you are totally right I should have had a backup.
Yeah this bit sucks, and I feel for you.
People have a habit of thinking "it won't happen to me" and I've been guilty of it myself in the past when a hard drive died - but learn from this and start making regular backups become a part of your routine.
And now you are suggesting use source control or dropbox etc. yet people are saying that this is what has caused this Fail to Load issue to occur in the first place!
Not sure about Source Control, as I know the integrated version in GMS isn't meant to be too good, but using external tools with GIT are fine as far as I'm aware.
With regards to DropBox, I don't mean literally working from your DropBox - that's not a good idea at all - always work from local files.

I mean when you have finished coding for the day / session, go to yourt projects folder, make a zip/rar of it and then upload that to DropBox.
Then if anything goes bad with your project, hard drive, computer, whatever - you can just grab the archive from DropBox, extract it and you have your working project back.

This is the simplest form of backup and works fine if you don't need the extra features Source Control gives you such as rolling back, branching etc.

I am just trying to defend and explain myself here... Lets not start another argument because that isn't going to help anything. Don't reply unless you actually know how to help fix the problem at hand.
I'm not starting an argument, I'm not the one that was all heated and shouting.
I replied because you asked me questions, and believe it or not most people in the community are always willing to help someone out as long as they are polite and friendly.

edit:
For your importing assets issue - you should be able to drag multiple resources into the IDE from folders, although I don't use the Mac IDE so this may be a MAC specific issue as it's definitely possible using the Windows IDE.

For the Finder issue, I remember seeing Russell replied to that thread (YYG Staff), so maybe make a post in there and tag him and follow up to see what's happening?

Last edited:

Ruimm

this issue has happened to me and I found other people complaining about the same. It seems to happen when you have some file syncing program trying to sync your project folder while GM is open on that project. In my case it was a version control program, on the cases that I found on the forum it was dropbox. This is a combination of factors that is difficult for Yoyo to solve: do they need to test their program with different file syncing programs out there to make sure they are all compatible? Now that this has happened it would be nice, for example, for a warning or something like that. But it is really hard to predict these situations. In my case the first time it happened I had to create a new project and import all assets into the new one (it took me about an hour). Now I'm always sure I don't have that program open while working on the GM project. It has never happened since. These situations are annoying but they are somewhat unavoidable... you can't predict nor test every situation possible. I can also guarantee you I've had lots of weird issues with other popular engines out there... simply put: softwares will have bugs...

12ashbaker

So now when I try to import the assets from that file GM2 completely becomes unresponsive.

12ashbaker

What assets?
Maybe the assets are corrupted and are causing an issue?
Any assets from my original game file that won't open can not be imported. I tried every type of asset from objects to sprites to fonts. None will import. However if I try to import assets from a different project it imports fine. Does this mean my entire project is lost?

rIKmAN

Any assets from my original game file that won't open can not be imported. I tried every type of asset from objects to sprites to fonts. None will import. However if I try to import assets from a different project it imports fine. Does this mean my entire project is lost?
Well I don't know - are the files around size you expect and not 0kb?
Can you copy the folder to another drive and try importing from there, just to rule out a damaged hard drive?

12ashbaker

Well I don't know - are the files around size you expect and not 0kb?
Can you copy the folder to another drive and try importing from there, just to rule out a damaged hard drive?
The file sizes are what they should be. I don't have another drive right now to copy it to. But when I can get my hands one I will try.

*Edit: I can manually import sprites by creating a sprite in a new project, giving the same exact name as the sprite in my original project and then deleting that new sprite file and copying and pasting it from the og file to the new file. Then when this happens GM2 says it can't find the old sprite files so once you click "reload" the sprite from the OG file pops right up. I tried this same method with an object file and then once I hit reload GM2 became completely unresponsive. HOWEVER once I quit out of GM2 and reload the project the object has successfully transferred to the new project.

So all the contents of the files are still there and fine... something with Game Maker is corrupting them it seems like.