• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GM2 and Spine compatibility

Didjargo

I'm fiddling around with the trail version of GM2 and I like the interface a lot. However, since it is the trail version, I can't really play around with the advanced features that I really want. One of the major questions I have is how compatible is GM2 with Spine animations? I know that in GM1 the compatibility was limited- couldn't support meshes, couldn't support skewing, the pieces of the character had these annoying dark outlines around them when viewed in GM, and could not support Spine events. Now I hear that GM2 does have an "Animation Event" event designed for Spine so I assume that it at least the last one is covered, but what about the rest? This is a very important feature for me and will determine if I will shell out the $99 to make the leap or stick with GM1.

rIKmAN

I'm fiddling around with the trail version of GM2 and I like the interface a lot. However, since it is the trail version, I can't really play around with the advanced features that I really want. One of the major questions I have is how compatible is GM2 with Spine animations? I know that in GM1 the compatibility was limited- couldn't support meshes, couldn't support skewing, the pieces of the character had these annoying dark outlines around them when viewed in GM, and could not support Spine events. Now I hear that GM2 does have an "Animation Event" event designed for Spine so I assume that it at least the last one is covered, but what about the rest? This is a very important feature for me and will determine if I will shell out the $99 to make the leap or stick with GM1.
Test the latest 1.4 EA version, it has had the same update to Spine that GMS2 has had so you can test events and the other improvements to see if you like the direction it's headed before deciding whether to purchase GMS2.

Also if you own the GMS1 you should be able to get GMS2 for $59.99.

Didjargo

Test the latest 1.4 EA version, it has had the same update to Spine that GMS2 has had so you can test events and the other improvements to see if you like the direction it's headed before deciding whether to purchase GMS2.

Also if you own the GMS1 you should be able to get GMS2 for $59.99.
The version of GMS1 that I have I got off Steam, which as it stands is version 1.4.1763 and does not have the aforementioned Spine compatibility or features, like Animation Event or meshes. It looks like any updates beyond that version has not been applied to the Steam version. I did just link my Steam Account on the GameMaker website, so at the very least I'll get that discount you spoke of if I upgrade.

rIKmAN

The version of GMS1 that I have I got off Steam, which as it stands is version 1.4.1763 and does not have the aforementioned Spine compatibility or features, like Animation Event or meshes. It looks like any updates beyond that version has not been applied to the Steam version. I did just link my Steam Account on the GameMaker website, so at the very least I'll get that discount you spoke of if I upgrade.
You can get the latest EA with the Spine update here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms-ea-version-1-99-525.14510/

Not sure how the Steam / Standalone thing works, I'll leave that to Nocturne :)