• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam GM1.4 on Steam?

Hi all! I've been working on a game in GM1.4 and will be uploading it to Steam. I've never sold anything on Steam and their documentation shows GM2 as supporting Steam, but there's no mention of GM1.4

I'm not sure if I should go through the trouble of 'converting' my project to GM2, or if just sticking with GM1.4 makes sense. Its tough to know since I haven't used Steam previously. Does anyone have any insights on the difference between using GM1.4 and GM2 on Steam?

Thanks!

Even if it is possible, it’s probably not sensible to release a game using a version of the software that has been sunsetted for years now. It could break at any time and there will be no updates to fix it.

If it does break, you’ll still have to convert but you’ll also have the added pressure of players who have purchased the game but will be unable to play it until you’ve finished converting, which could easily lead to review bombs and tank the rating of your game.

My advice would be to just bite the bullet and convert before releasing.

Even if it is possible, it’s probably not sensible to release a game using a version of the software that has been sunsetted for years now. It could break at any time and there will be no updates to fix it.

If it does break, you’ll still have to convert but you’ll also have the added pressure of players who have purchased the game but will be unable to play it until you’ve finished converting, which could easily lead to review bombs and tank the rating of your game.

My advice would be to just bite the bullet and convert before releasing.
Haha yeah I feared this, I was sorta hoping maybe 1.4 was still a thing. Thanks for letting me know man!

O.Stogden

There shouldn't be too much 'trouble' converting your project. I upgraded TRF from 1.4 to 2.2 and then 2.3 and the changes I had to make to get it working again I could do in a single days work.

Not to mention GMS 2 is more optimized than GMS 1, so your game will likely see benefits from the upgrade.

The only thing I would say, is that some of the compatibility scripts it adds can be slow, so you might want to change it over to a newer GMS2 equivalent. When updating a GMS1 project that uses views for example, it will add in compatibility scripts to your GMS2 project so it can still use the old GMS1 view system, however it's slower than using the GMS2 camera system. Not a huge deal when you only have 1 view, but if you're doing 4 player split-screen and you reference view co-ordinates often for example, the performance hit is noticeable. I took a few hours to remove references to the view compatibility scripts and made my game use GMS2 cameras instead, it was worth the trouble for me.

There shouldn't be too much 'trouble' converting your project. I upgraded TRF from 1.4 to 2.2 and then 2.3 and the changes I had to make to get it working again I could do in a single days work.

Not to mention GMS 2 is more optimized than GMS 1, so your game will likely see benefits from the upgrade.

The only thing I would say, is that some of the compatibility scripts it adds can be slow, so you might want to change it over to a newer GMS2 equivalent. When updating a GMS1 project that uses views for example, it will add in compatibility scripts to your GMS2 project so it can still use the old GMS1 view system, however it's slower than using the GMS2 camera system. Not a huge deal when you only have 1 view, but if you're doing 4 player split-screen and you reference view co-ordinates often for example, the performance hit is noticeable. I took a few hours to remove references to the view compatibility scripts and made my game use GMS2 cameras instead, it was worth the trouble for me.
I see! Yeah maybe I'm just being lazy (in my defense it is my namesake) but maybe it won't be TOO bad. Thanks guys!