Asset - Project GM WadLoader

IGameArt

EARLY ACCESS WARNING: This product is still in development. By purchasing this asset you agree to support the further development of an asset that, in it's current state, is buggy, unoptimized, and feature incomplete.

GM WadLoader is everything that you need to start developing 3d games using your own custom WADs! What's the advantage of loading textures, levels, things, and more from a wad as opposed to the room editor? Speed. Throw together a level in something like Doom Builder or Slade in a matter of minutes, run the WAD through GLBSP, and ten seconds later you're running through your own hallways in your own games. No longer will you be limited to just modding Doom, but now you can build your own game rules from the ground up to do whatever you like, create racing games, third person action adventures, or first person shooters using the easiest map editors around!

ATTENTION WADs must be processed with the GLBSP tool available at glbsp.sourceforge.net. To properly format your wad, create a batch file with following command: glbsp doom.wad -o GLdoom.wad -v3

doom.wad represents the WADfile to process, GLdoom.wad is the name of your processed WAD.

FEATURES:

• Load all lump data from any wad
  • Process loaded data to pick out palettes, textures, levels, things, sprites, and more
  • Uses map names to load a level, example: E1M1, MAP03 (all caps)
  • Use minimal memory with blazingly fast load times
  • Collisions let you run around any level
CONTROLS: WASD + Mouse, Enter to free the mouse.

No copyrighted material included, you MUST supply the WADs! The cost of the asset is for time spent programming and researching

Changes in 0.0.2
This update includes a constants.txt in the included files, you'll need to import this into your all configurations macros.

Few minor changes including the ability to hop around.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
When I saw this I was really pleased and went straight to the MP to get it... however, as I am an astute buyer, I first checked out the comments and the rest of the stuff you've updated and... well... I have my doubts about this (sorry).

You say that it's early access and will be getting updated, but it was published at least 6 months ago and the last update was in May, yet this topic makes it seem like you've only just uploaded it or updated it. This doesn't make it seem like you are working on it at all, and after perusing some of your other assets it appears you have a habit of posting stuff saying that it'll be updated and then forgetting about it. Your TDS Starter pack, published in 2014, says "this compilation is not yet complete, and will be subject to updates," and "your purchase of this TDS Starter Pack will guarantee you free updates whenever they are released.", yet the asset has never been updated since you uploaded it although the wording their reads like you are 100% going to update it. Your Dirty Bloom asset says "Coming Soon: Improved blurring, various other improvements..." and yet, again, it has never been updated since the original upload in 2014.

I'm not trying to cast aspersions on your character here and I'm certainly not trying to offend, but I'm starting to see a pattern here that I don't think I like and feel that it's something you should address before I (or anyone else) gives you money thinking that they are contributing to the continued development of something when in reality they will be getting nothing more than the base (unfinished) asset. If you have no intention of doing anything more then you should be up front and say so.

PS: I'd also remove the "YoYo" and the "Doom" from the asset name. You do not represent YoYo Games and having that in the title can be misconstrued and Doom is a copyrighted name which I don't think Bethesda would be too happy with you using... ;)

IGameArt

I'm not intentionally keeping my assets unupdated. I'm currently homeless right now and don't get a lot of time to spend on the computer. I'm trying to push my assets to build up enough revenue so that I can afford to keep updating them. I'm sorry to go so long between updates, I just can't afford to update them that frequently right now.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
That's fine and quite understandable... and my intention is not to put you on the spot, but I do have to think about what is best for the community. I would suggest at least updating the asset description to say that it's not currently being worked on and that you'll hopefully/maybe get more added in the future (or something like that) so that people don't feel misled.

All the best!

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I'm not intentionally keeping my assets unupdated. I'm currently homeless right now and don't get a lot of time to spend on the computer. I'm trying to push my assets to build up enough revenue so that I can afford to keep updating them. I'm sorry to go so long between updates, I just can't afford to update them that frequently right now.
While being homeless is sympathizable, your incomplete niche assets aren't an effective means to get you housed and fed, and probably won't ever be.

GMS is still primarily a 2D-centric tool, its 3D functionality sees little use outside amateur development. The audience you intend to make rent from is filled with people who don't even know what an up vector or a normal is. The sales potential for paid 3D assets on GMS is suspect at best.

Even with non-niche assets, the most optimistic figures I've seen on the Marketplace are around $3000 over 1-2 years, and above-average ones in the low- to mid-3-digit range. These vendors all release completed assets and support them much more proactively, without "not done" disclaimers that you (perhaps alone) have to put up. Even then, many assets are forced to fire-sale prices or simply given away due to low sales volumes. A year-long wait or longer for a month or two of rent is a nice pat on the back for people not counting on it, but way too slow and unreliable for you.

This asset is around $10 a pop ($7 after YoYo's cut). A server at McDonald's makes more than that every hour, twice for those whose minimum wage has been raised to $14. For comparison's sake, does this asset sell at least two paid copies every hour? If the servers at McDonalds have a reason to stage job action over wages, why don't you have a reason to re-evaluate your direction?

Prioritize, do something else more profitable to get off the streets first, then consider getting back to this when you are well out of the woods. Raining on your Marketplace ambitions isn't exactly the nicest thing to do, but without a roof over your head, this is no time to kid yourself about income.

G

Galladhan

I would suggest at least updating the asset description to say that it's not currently being worked on and that you'll hopefully/maybe get more added in the future (or something like that) so that people don't feel misled.
I totally agree. If i read in a description "with the promise of frequent updates", i take for "granted" there will be (frequent) updates. It's completely different than reading something like: "If i manage to get enough sales, i will update the asset". Don't you think, @IGameArt?

IGameArt

I will gladly update the asset listing to better provide a more accurate description. However I'm not really happy with the insinuation that I'm jobless and only relying on income from these assets. I never said I was jobless, merely homeless. I will take nocturne's suggestions to heart, as well as yours Galladhan, but I am prioritizing, which is precisely why these assets aren't updated nearly as frequently, I'm spending far too much time working at my real job and saving up money for a place to live. Now that's all said, I'd like to get back on topic and keep this thread on topic as much as possible. Thanks for your input everyone!