• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM GM: Studio not installing?

J

JuhllyMBS

Good evening, everyone! I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong board.

I'm new to Game Maker, and I'm running into a bit of a problem. I use Windows 8, 64 ver., and the Studio/Player installer is only successfully installing GM: Player itself. I can't find Studio on the program search, and in the GameMaker: Studio 1.4 folder, I only find a file relating to GM: Player (I attached a screenshot of it).

Does anyone have anyone have any ideas of what's going on, and how I could begin to hope of fixing this?

Attachments

I

icuurd12b42

first get rid of window 8 NOW. get the free update to windows 10 before it's too late

Second, disable your anti virus/firewall during the install. it's possible the installer, then the studio final install was blocked.

When you run the setup next time dont tell it to instal the player...

I

iMilchshake

Dont ever do that.win10 has LOTS of problem.i am still using 7
You cant know if something is bad if you never tried it:
I actually had a hate on Windows 10 aswell. I only heard bad stuff about Win 10 at its release.
Now i was like, im gonna try it. Did a Win 10 Clean-Install. Used it for 3 Months now, and i love it.
Yes, I do. In 3 Months I had no single bug, problem or anything else. Works like a charm.

-Tobi ^-^

J

JuhllyMBS

Shouldn't need to change operating system.
Did you try out re-installing?
Multiple times. Only GM: Player was successfully installed in all of them. I'm about to try out what icuurd said.

And the thing about Win10 for me, is that my laptop isn't brand new, I have no idea if it can handle Win10 any better than it can Win8. It might be just paranoia, but my father had quite a bad experience with Win10 himself, so I'm a little reluctant

J

JuhllyMBS

EDIT:
Well, this is.. Weird. It actually installed this time, although I still can't find it on the program search, it opens and works as it should. I didn't do any changes in firewall/antivirus, so this feels rather random. But, well, it works, so I'm not complaining. Thanks for the help!
---

Oh, something I forgot to add. I'm not getting any errors, the installer acts as if everything was installed properly, but it clearly isn't, and neither did I get any message about the system requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

icuurd12b42

Dont ever do that.win10 has LOTS of problem.i am still using 7
You will notice he said he has window 8!!! so your recommendation is not appropriate in this case. window 8 is a lemon. I know I had to downgrade from it. 90% of the programs crashed on that piece of crap.

JuhllyMBS DId you try with the antivirus OFF avast for example will prevent Studio from installing completely.

K

kia

You will notice he said he has window 8!!! so your recommendation is not appropriate in this case. window 8 is a lemon. I know I had to downgrade from it. 90% of the programs crashed on that piece of crap.

JuhllyMBS DId you try with the antivirus OFF avast for example will prevent Studio from installing completely.
This isnt better to install 7?when i installed 10 i couldnt use my printer or even my dvd driver.it is a pre alfa system that has sold to people telling its complete

I

icuurd12b42

This isnt better to install 7?when i installed 10 i couldnt use my printer or even my dvd driver.it is a pre alfa system that has sold to people telling its complete
It is extremely difficult to downgrade. I'm sure if he has 8 he's got a million more issues than you ever had with 10. I been on 10 for a while now and I had more issues with 7 than with 10 tbh. 10 is pretty stable and identical in most part to 7. And, with me 7 could not use my scanner/printer and 10 can so...