GM Studio Free legacy version

Discussion in 'Legacy GameMaker Community Tech Support' started by MrBenito, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MrBenito

MrBenito Member

Hello all! My name is Benito and I'm a school teacher in Argentina. We started in our city a free program/workshop to teach young kids programming and videogame design, I have some experience in the field and I've been teaching computer studies in the primary level for 7 years.
    My problem is that my workshop students come from the less-advantaged parts of the city and the community center where I am giving the workshop has dated hardware, this means that GMS2 is out of the question, it just doesn't run properly.
    So I've been trying to get a legacy version of GM studio 1.4. In this forum I found a link somewhere from yoyo site but after I installed this old version it doesn't work because it asks for a license or upgrade to GMS2.
    According to my knowledge and research there are no more free licenses and the community center/students do not have that kind of money to upgrade their hardware or buy GMs2 licenses so I'm wondering if there's any way to use legacy gamemaker studio 1.4 as a free program, this means with some features blocked, it doesn't matter to me since the workshop is pretty basic and straightforward.

Anyway, thanks for your responses in advance.

2. Andy

Andy Member

When I got GMS1 it came with a Steam activation code.
    The Steam version activates without going through YoYo Games, so it should be easier to install.
    If you have a YoYo account, try going to Products > GMS1 > License Recovery.
    This should send you an email with your product codes. Check the email for a Steam activation code.
    Hope this helps, I would love for a full DRM-free version of GMS1 to be released, but I don’t know if that would be a good business strategy for YoYo. :p

Attached Files:

3. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

This isn't going to help with a room full of students who don't have any existing licences.

@MrBenito
    GMS 1.4 licences are no longer sold or available and I believe the "free" edition only works if you already have a "free" licence linked to a YYG Account before the changes to licencing took place - but don't quote me on that.

You best bet would be to contact the Helpdesk as they will be able to confirm what your options are for your classes.

Nocturne and nacho_chicken like this.
  4. MrBenito

MrBenito Member

I tried the helpdesk but apparently I'm not logged while I'm. Weird.

5. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

1.x is no longer up for sale or download for new users. Existing users still have access to the downloads through their account and can continue to use it.

If you are unable to contact the helpdesk, on the contact us page, there is a special option available for "I can't log in" which appears only if you are not logged in.

6. MrBenito

MrBenito Member

Hey, just wanted to update the situation to warn maybe other teachers giving lessons in less advantaged countries where computer labs, wifi technology or even software is not available for students but they still want to learn programming / development basics. I currently installed a free version of Game Maker 8 (with lots of limitations in terms of end-functionality) on these old Windows XP computers from the community center. Not only my 19 students are quite happy with the workshop so far (we're making a dodge-obstacles first game) but I'm happy that at least I could reach to a solution.

I wanted to make things as legal as possible but sadly, even if someone offered to donate old licenses for Studio, dated hardware is a problem in third world countries where technology investment is just a dream. Next step is to get rid of dated XP and install Linux, but that's another story.