• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GM Studio for apps.

dawidM

Hello guys, I love GM and use it since 2005. Recently I found out that it can be a great tool to develop a desktop app ( and possibly even mobile and web apps ). However, there is one painful thing when you try to make apps by using GM: User interface. I mean , text inputs ( with selecting&copying&pasting) , scrollable areas, forms, charts etc.

I know that there are some assets that cover it, but usually they have some smaller or bigger bugs, and each of them is written in a different style so it is not very comfortable to create some sensible UI system with different assets. If only we had some basic and consistent in-built scripts/functions dedicated to UI.

I know guys, that now you are rather focused on some other big changes for 2019, but please consider this idea. I see the tendency that GM Studio is becoming a tool for professionals ( in the past it was almost only for hobbits), it is a great direction, and believe me, there is a plenty of money to earn if you would make only some small changes and add new in-built functions.

My job position is not a programmer, although I used GMS a few times at my work to make some small , helpful apps. If GM had these functions to create app UI easier, I would use GM at my work even more often, and maybe even do some freelance work and earn some money on the side. The more money I would earn with GM, the more money I would be willing to spend for new modules.

And you don’t need to change much, because as I mentioned, GM at this point is good enough to create some basic apps. By the small changes , you can attract the big pond of new customers, who are rather into creating apps, not games. Please consider this idea.

Keep the good work and very kind regards to you.
dawidM

curato

what kind of issues are you having making a good GUI?

off topic: I laughed too hard on my first reading of how you spelled hobbyist.

dawidM

what kind of issues are you having making a good GUI?

Text field is the first thing: It would be great if we have some functions like : create_text_field(x,y,width, height, align, font, wrap, number_of_lines) . So you could easily create a text field with possibility to write, copy text, go with the cursor to the middle of a word, undo (ctrl+Z) and every other thing that is a standard for a regular text field.

Scrollable areas is another feature I wish it is in the default scripts. Like create_scrollable_area ( x1, y1 , x2, y2, total_width, total_height, scroll_button_sprite, scroll_button_subimg). And then you could set y of other objects depending on this area.

Creating windows that are able to move, drag, resize etc. is another thing.

And drop down menu - also a very helpful thing.

Drawing charts (circle, linear, etc.) is another great thing, but maybe I demand too much.

Basically, I created all of these for myself or used some assets I bought on marketplace. I spent much time to bring all this together, customise it, and when I was doing it I had the feeling that I reinvented the wheel. And now, when I want to create a new project and write something quickly, I first need to implement the whole system I once built, and I have to adjust it. It could be so much easier if those functions are inbuilt.

Nevertheless, I admire the progress of GMS. You guys are doing great job!

off topic: I laughed too hard on my first reading of how you spelled hobbyist.
P.S.
Yeah, I have been using GM for so long, that I even remember those times when it was dedicated to hobbits, orcs and goblins ;)

curato

I definitely wouldn't complain if there were built in features like that, but I write business software and mostly use visual studio for that type of stuff.