Discussion GM Studio 1.4 or 2?

K

KrashHash

So I'm a somewhat long-time user of GM: Studio 1 and it's grown a bit close to my heart, but I've heard many a good thing about 2, plus that's what all the tutorial creators are using now. I own the license for Studio 1 but I don't have enough money for 2, so I ask you people this: what would be better - Sticking with GM: Studio 1.4, or Using the GM: Studio demo/trial thingy?

G

Let me apply your little grey cells:
  • Support for GMS1 ends next July. This means that if Microsoft or Google or Apple make a game-breaking change in the export platform---Windows, UWP, Android, MacOS, iOS---then your game will permanently stop working. Of course, if you're just making a Windows game, there's a good chance you don't expect this to matter because there's usually a way to make the current version of Windows compatible with earlier versions.
  • GMS2's trial is very limited, it is only to see if you like the software, it is limited to 10? objects, 10? scripts, something like that, so it cannot be a long-term choice.
  • GMS2 has a very good import for GMS1 projects, so work in GMS1 will transfer over if and when you do upgrade.
  • Finally, will you ever have enough money, and the desire to spend it, on the various GMS2 exports that you want? Windows costs $100, mobile costs another $400, etc.
Thus, if you intend to make only a Windows game, just go with GMS1. But if you intend to make a non-Windows game, you will need either to upgrade or not use GameMaker. If you intend to make a non-Windows game and you will have the money and desire to spend it on the export, then you should continue using GMS1 until you acquire enough money. If you intend to make a non-Windows game and you will not have the money or the desire to spend it on the export, then you should plan not to use GameMaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rukiri

I would go with Game Maker Studio 2 for the sole reason it's the latest and most supported of the 2, gms1 has support but will never be to the extend of gms2.
The camera system alone is the reason why I'd still choose it over gms 1.

K

KrashHash

Thus, if you intend to make only a Windows game, just go with GMS1. But if you intend to make a non-Windows game, you will need either to upgrade or not use GameMaker. If you intend to make a non-Windows game and you will have the money and desire to spend it on the export, then you should continue using GMS1 until you acquire enough money. If you intend to make a non-Windows game and you will not have the money or the desire to spend it on the export, then you should plan not to use GameMaker.
Think I might have to get a job soon in that case