• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Idea GM:S Server Service

T

ThunkGames

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it is an idea about game distribution so why not? I have an idea for a pay-by-the-month service and am trying to discern if this would be worth my time.

My service would provide Game Maker games with... I don't know cloud user data? I recently set up a Java server with a database on a Linux VPS. It took me a while to set it all up, but most of that time was learning. I really enjoyed the process and I want to do it for other people.

There would be 3 types of fields:
-Private: Can be viewed and set by the user that he field belongs to or a logged in admin. Encrypted. (ex. Password)
-Public: Can be viewed by any connected user and set by the user the field belongs to or a logged in administrator (ex. High Score)
-Open: Can be viewed and set by any user. (ex. I don't know)

There would also be support for non user tables, with requirements just being that the user is logged in (as no user would own the data) (ex. Factions).

Also, server-side support for login/registration.

Also, to keep it simple, two data types: Double and string, just like in Game Maker.

Values could be set or added (like checking the relative box in D&D).

It's important to note that when I say "set" I mean a function is called (users don't just log in and see a text field that says "set high score"). I'm working on a method to ensure the best I can that gets and sets are sent by your game and not an external program.

There would also be an API for web stuff (GET, POST). I don't have a huge amount of experience with this stuff, but I know how to make it work.

Now for some pricing (ideas).

$0 Per Month-
•Free!
•Username & Password fields, + 1 public field of choice
•Shared VPS to save money
•I reserve the right to kick you out and send you on your way with a CSV file if a) You are doing sketchy things b) There aren't enough paid users or c) A week goes by with no connections.
•100 user max
•Low priority tech support

$5 Per Month
•Unlimited users and fields
•Personal server with terminal access
•10 GB SSD, 2 GB Ram
•High priority tech support

$10 Per Month
•Unlimited users and fields
•Personal server with terminal access
•20 GB SSD, 4 GB Ram
•Access to web API
•Top priority tech support

I could also create custom solutions for a higher monthly price (server side simulation to verify high scores) but the availability would depend heavily on my workload.

So... viable? Useful? Cost appropriate? A free tier is very important to me, I just need to make sure it can be supported by paid users. I would hope to make some profit from this, but it's also about gaining experience.

Thanks for reading.

-David

Last edited by a moderator: