• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GM:S 2 won't open on Parallels VM

B

BlueLemming

I'm running a Windows 10 VM with Parallels on macOS Sierra. When the GM:S 2 beta first was announced, I installed it on the VM and it worked fine the first time. Upon closing it and reopening it, it wouldn't come up at all. If I look at the processes in task manager I can see that GM:S 2 is there for about 3 seconds and then it closes.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it a week later and was able to open it again. That was about a week ago. Now, I've run into the same problem again and even after reinstalling it it still won't open.

Has anyone been able to successfully run GM:S 2 in Parallels? I don't really expect this to work flawlessly in a VM, being a beta and all, but I'm just curious if any workarounds have been found. Alternatively, is there a place to check the logs and find out why GM:S 2 might be crashing after only a few seconds?

B

BlueLemming

You can access the logs in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2-Beta.
Thanks! I'll post the results of ui.log incase anyone can shed some light on how to go about fixing it (just a bunch of file exceptions):

Code:
[2:14:05 PM:819] File exception 'Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Survey\surveys_done.json'.'
[2:14:05 PM:966] File exception 'Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Survey\survey_dismiss.json'.'
[2:14:06 PM:20] File exception 'Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2\user_cache_directory\Styles'.'
[2:14:06 PM:98] File exception 'Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\org_settings.json'.'
[2:14:06 PM:98] File exception 'Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\machine_settings.json'.'
[2:14:06 PM:168] File exception 'Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\runtime_feeds.json'.'
edit: If I make a bunch of empty json files where it's expecting those filenames, I then get this exception:

Code:
[2:19:49 PM:137] Unhandled Exception: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
[2:19:49 PM:137] Exception message: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
[2:19:49 PM:152] Exception stack:    at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at YoYoStudio.User.Survey.SurveyManager..(Object , Object )
   at YoYoStudio.FileAPI.FileRequest.Complete(Object _result, Object _userData)
   at YoYoStudio.FileAPI.FileRequest.ResultOperation()
   at YoYoStudio.FileAPI.FileRequest.wait()
   at YoYoStudio.User.Survey.SurveyManager.()
   at YoYoStudio.User.Survey.SurveyManager..ctor()
   at YoYoStudio.IDE.Initialise(String[] _args, Int32 _initialWidth, Int32 _initialHeight)
   at YoYoStudio.IDE.Execute(String[] _args, Int32 _initialWidth, Int32 _initialHeight)
   at YoYoStudio.Program.Main(String[] _main_args)
I've ran GMS 2 in parallels and had no problems.
Have you enabled any of the resource sharing between macOS and Windows? (i.e, documents, desktop, applications, etc.)

Coded Games

I have all of the sharing options enabled. Also, I'm only running Parallels Desktop 11 so if you're running a different version there may be some differences.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I should point out that officially you cannot run GMS2 in a VM and should only run it on a dedicated Windows OS pc (until the Mac version of the IDE comes out, that is).

B

BlueLemming

I have all of the sharing options enabled. Also, I'm only running Parallels Desktop 11 so if you're running a different version there may be some differences.
Ah, that's true. I'm on version 12 so hopefully that isn't the issue.

I should point out that officially you cannot run GMS2 in a VM and should only run it on a dedicated Windows OS pc (until the Mac version of the IDE comes out, that is).
Hm, well that's unfortunate. Mike and Russel gave a bit of advice in this thread though, so I still have hope that they might have an idea at least as far as solving the log file problems. At the very least, I could wait for the Mac IDE beta since that's expected sometime in early 2017, I believe?

Coded Games

Really? Is it against the EULA or something?

Another question I have is, does anyone know how long the sale for GMS 2 is going to go for? I only have a Mac so I'd like to wait until the Mac version comes out but I'd also like to make use of my Master Collection discount before the sale ends.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Really? Is it against the EULA or something?
No, not in the least. But it does mean that you can't get any official help for issues (ie: contacting YYG through the helpdesk will not get you support). If any of the devs help you here that's a personal thing and not a YYG thing. :)

B

BlueLemming

In case anyone is reading this in the future, I found the culprit, but unfortunately no solution. I can get GM:S 2 to open if I disable 3D acceleration on the video card in the VM settings. However, it's a laggy mess and totally not worth doing. I've tried both 3D acceleration with DirectX9 and DirectX10 but neither works. So as of right now it's a Parallels 12 issue. I was able to migrate to VMWare Fusion 8 and it worked fine.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
GMS2 is using OpenGL so it depends on what parallels is doing with that as a driver

Russell

B

BlueLemming

GMS2 is using OpenGL so it depends on what parallels is doing with that as a driver

Russell
Yeah, I think it was an OpenGL issue. Parallels only supported up to OpenGL 2.1, while VMWare supported up to 3.3.

To update others on what my solution was: I installed Windows as a bootcamp partition, which you can use Parallels to boot as a VM when needed. So I just boot into Windows if I need to use GMS 2.

0xCA5E

Yeah, I think it was an OpenGL issue. Parallels only supported up to OpenGL 2.1, while VMWare supported up to 3.3.

To update others on what my solution was: I installed Windows as a bootcamp partition, which you can use Parallels to boot as a VM when needed. So I just boot into Windows if I need to use GMS 2.
I am having the exact same issue and have Parallels 12. It worked for parallels 11... So sad that development has come to a halt.

Tony Brice

Me and my buddy had the same issue. GMS2 would crash running in parallels after installing it, but strangely it would work when run straight from the installed window. This meant it would only work once.

Now this may sound crazy but we're both running it to this day just fine by double clicking the icon to launch it and immediately doing the same thing again, basically rapid clicking 4 times. I believe it's something to do with a process being kicked in twice which is forcing it to actually work. Sometimes it will end up running more than one copy, but usually we just get the window come up and we're in business, instead of the GMS 2 has closed for not responding message. Worth a try.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have discovered walking to other Parallels users that everything appears to work properly if you use the Mesa driver that we bundle with GMS2 - just copy the opengl32.dll file from the mesa sub-directory into the main GameMakerStudio2 install directory that you had.

It should work from then on...

NOTE: You will have to do this each time you upgrade (until we can detect that this is required and do it automatically for you)

Russell

Tony Brice

Excellent response, thank you. Worked right off the bat as soon as I did this. Should ease my pain waiting for the Mac version.

bml

Thanks Russell! The Mesa driver worked! Just wish it hadn't taken so long to find this post. :D

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The mesa driver also fixed it for me on VirtualBox. I really think this should be added as an option for installers on future versions.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We're trying to make it detect that it's required so you don't have to worry about it.