GM Marketplace Asset Representation In Community

poliver

OK, I might be going off on a tangent and nothing I will say is an absolute truth, just probably my biased opinion from what I've personally seen/feel but just was wondering if anybody feels the same?

I follow a lot of GM resources etc. and I'm feeling that the marketplace is very under represented/appreciated.

There's a plethora of YouTube channels doing GameMaker videos, tutorials etc.
and while they are good a lot of them go through the same, same content repeating each other over and over to the point that there are an unspoken rules about variable naming like obj_, spr_, a de facto ways to code certain game mechanics(everyone's used to seeing code being posted in Programming help containing variables like vsp, hsp, grav without anybody questioning how they work.) etc.

That aside, I feel like the marketplace is a very, very underappreciated asset and it might make the GameMaker in the eyes of a newcomer look bad(compared to other engines and their push for marketplace). There's literally a great asset for everything you might need on the marketplace and nobody talks about them. All they get is like 5 good and 1 negative reviews on their page and that's it. It feels like most developers prefer to create their own intricate finely crafted systems from ground up to accomplish any task no matter the size. Why nobody bothers talking about the assets or suggesting them in the message board?

:D

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

All they get is like 5 good and 1 negative reviews on their page and that's it. It feels like most developers prefer to create their own intricate finely crafted systems from ground up to accomplish any task no matter the size. Why nobody bothers talking about the assets or suggesting them in the message board?
I can't really number the amount of times I've provided better than average premium support of dedicating many hours to help people learn how to use my assets and they don't think to leave a review. And as many downloads as I get having the 5th most popular extension on the marketplace I don't get why my assets (other than that one in particular) dont get that many reviews and those have many downloads within the first month after release. I don't like complaining but it's a thing I kinda do like as well because I've had this on my mind for a while now. Over thousands of downloads and 70 reviews is great. But several hundred downloads that I actually gave real support for a good number of users quite regularly I dedicated weeks to end up with 3-5 reviews after being published for years. And to get next to no comments on my asset topics there is an occasional "this is cool" or a bug report I just wish it wasnt so rare in the forum. I do it all for free mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:

O.Stogden

Most assets are available on itch or elsewhere, and people prefer itch to the GM marketplace.

Also for paid assets, other engines probably do better just because people are willing to sink more money into game Dev for those engines. A lot of GM users would probably hesitate to pay for assets.

There is a marketplace section on the forum that anyone can look at.

Personally, I just make stuff myself, it's easier than wedging someone else's code/system into my game.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The one time I tried putting some of my assets onto the marketplace, I had so much technical issues I just gave up. There was another case earlier this year where people couldn't update their assets, at a time where a new major update had broken a lot of assets. I think there's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy kinda deal going on where the lack of official support for the marketplace makes few creators upload assets, and the lack of use makes yoyo support the marketplace less.

After trying Many many times to upload some high quality assets for free that I have made to the marketplace and having enough technichal issues and sadly support never went anywhere so now I jusy post them on the marketplace forum with a link. Id love to upload offically :(