• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM GM don't call a scriptfile while it exist

B

Bart Fernhout

I am a beginner with GML but not with programming. The program that i try to make is a retro game from the amiga. Not a real problem but is have a script that have to create a savefile. but even the script is there GM comes to the point it can call the script. but won't execute it. Its jump to the next file. Why i can't figure it out.

Its for me the best way to learn GML and a lot of things i understand. I have the export file but i don't knoiw how to upload it here.

If you see the file run it and you wil see what i mean.

My dropbox link is this. Explain me what i am doing wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tcd5sskw7qitha/Deuteros_1.gmz?dl=0

H

Homunculus

It would be nice if you could at least point out what's the script you are referring to. Moreover, what do you mean by "it jumps to the next file"? Have you tried adding a show_debug_message in the script to see if it gets executed?

B

Bart Fernhout

I was thinking that as soon as you start the game you will see the error.
The problem is as follow:
Game start --> choos 1 for english --> Klick on disk acces.(left above showd by text)
In that screen you see the message non game disk. (This is ok).Klik on the disk with the F behind it.
Game ask for pressing the F key.
When you run in debug mode, and you set a breakpoint, on the line 25 - "create_disk();" in the script file show_background.
The program will break in on this line. But when i press F11 the next step sould be that the debugger is jumping to creat_disk script. But it never open this file but open the script file next in line.
Where only for this moment is just filled with comment.

The variables is showing on the side but i cannot follow the steps the program takes.

Its still hard for me to undestand the steps gamemaker takes. I am used to make a dubble buffering in the graphics.
But i wil learn it slowly.

Btw. The way GM works with file handeling is is a bit complex. I need to scramble the data and it must be as smal as possible. And if it was for me. This file need to be in the game folder under DATA.
If there are errors in the game doing some steps to create this error i can ask the player to send the game file including the steps to get to that error.

Altrough its a sandbox game there must be some freedom to place the files where you want. whitin limits i agree.

There are a lot of things i see its not as neet as i would have to be but its good enough to work with. (That is only my point of view. As a starter of using GM)

NB. Sorry if my english is bad. I am not used to do a lot in english moree in dutch. Reading and understanding is no problem for me.

bart.