• Hey! Guest! The 39th GMC Jam will take place between November 26th, 12:00 UTC and November 30th, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Global Highscores & Daily Challenge. Preferred Methods?

S

Soulie

Hi all,

I'm looking to code global highscores into my game, Chameleon Swing. If it goes smoothly I'm also going to add a daily challenge that everyone can try once per day a la Spelunky/Binding of Isaac.

I've had a look around and have seen a few options:

- GooglePlay Services Highscores, which seems to be integrated with GM.
- GameMakerServer.com, which can be used with a GM extension.
- Learn and host highscores on my own server.

I'm thinking GooglePlay would be a safe bet to use, but I don't think it would support the one-try daily challenge mechanic (even though they have daily high scores).

One thing I didn't mention is the game will come out for iOS as well, but I've heard it could still work with GooglePlay highscores. Is this correct?

What's your experience with highscores in GameMaker?
Which method would you recommend?
Are there any other solutions to this?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

A

Aura

If an option does not allow a specific functionality, you could always try the second or the other one. My personal favourite method is using my own server because it provides freedom more than anything else. GameMaker Server is good too. But you should use what suits you.

S

Soulie

Thank you again, Aura :)
I wonder what experiences others have had with global highscores.