• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GIT: Downloading and Syncing an Existing Project to Other PCs? (Help!)

Z

Zatara

Hi all,

YoYo has an excellent help file on initially setting up GIT support for a GMS2 project, however, they don't seem to have any info on deploying that project to multiple machines/users. Has anyone figured out the optimal method to sync up team members or multiple computers to a single GIT repository?

I've managed to get the following method to work sometimes, but it's causing issues for some team members/machines:

1) Enable source control in preferences for GMS2 generally.
2) Fill in your remote repository user information (GITHub, Codebase, etc).
3) Create a new project.
4) Enable source control in that new project under Options in the resource tree.
5) Now that the source control menu has appeared in the top file bar, click on Source Control then go to clone repository, specify your remote repository url (use http) and pick a folder for it clone to.
6) In the folder window that opens, click on the gms2 .yyp file for your project. This will then open up your cloned project.

This seems to work sometimes, but not always, and sometimes produces the following error:
"Git Clone Error: Received unexpected content-type"

Anyone have any luck getting GIT to work consistently?

Thanks!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Have you tried cloning off SSH instead of HTTP(S), or doing the initial clone over the command line instead of in GMS 2?

gnysek

You don't need to enable source control in GMS2 to use it. You can still do it form Windows Explorer (using TortoiseGit), or command line (using GitBash), or another program (like Github for Windows, Source Tree or Gitkraken).
I'm working using command line from November and have no problems (opposite to using GMS2 Source Control options for 2 hours, where I found two bugs which causes project not save properly when you're too fast).

Z

Zatara

Have you tried cloning off SSH instead of HTTP(S), or doing the initial clone over the command line instead of in GMS 2?
GMS2 seems to want HTTP(S) rather than SSH. I don't see an SSH option in GMS2's built in Source Control preferences, but maybe I'm missing something? I'm also trying to avoid needing all team members to install an external GIT solution and use the command line.

You don't need to enable source control in GMS2 to use it. You can still do it form Windows Explorer (using TortoiseGit), or command line (using GitBash), or another program (like Github for Windows, Source Tree or Gitkraken).
Yes, obviously, you can use an external solution, which works fine for any project (we'd been using SVN and TortoiseSVN, which works fine). But, why use a third party system when you can leverage the IDE to do it all in one place? The tree indicators tracking file changes are also quite nice to have. I'm not asking about general source control, but specifically setting up GMS2's internal system.

We've managed to get the repo connected on our systems, but it seems like my workaround above can't be the most efficient way to do it?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have added SSH support for GIT internally, this should be in the next public version

Russell