• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Getting Started W/ GML

A

AuronPaladin

Hi, I have was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting started programming games. I have no programming knowledge and would really love to get started learning the code. Any tips on the best way to start and learn GML?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, I would start by checking out the manual "Getting Started" guide and doing the small examples included on the pages about "Drawing" and "Moving". Then you'll have a base on which to start actually making something. I 100% recommend trying to make some kind of simple game (or two or three!!!) before trying to make anything original. Something like asteroids, breakout, pang, etc... These old arcade games were really simple in terms of gameplay and can be made quite easily in GameMaker, and they'll teach you all the basics required to program a new game from scratch. I'd also check out some of the tutorials available from the GameMaker START page when you open the program, although keep in mind they haven't been updated and so you'll need to change any scripts (see here!) when doing them. Again, it'll help with the basics. You can also find learning resources from the YYG page here (although, again, be aware of changes to how scripts work): https://www.yoyogames.com/learn

Finally, check out some YouTube tutorials... Again, due to recent changes in GM a LOT of these are out of date, and also some of the bigger tutorial producers unfortunately teach bad habits, but I can definitely recommend @matharoo and @Slyddar tutorials. Both make great content!

One thing I can't stress enough though... START SMALL! I've said it already, but the quickest road to frustration is trying to do things you're not equipped to do, so make small things first and then work your way up to creating your first "main" project. Also, don't be shy about posting to ask questions here! We've all been beginners once and we are all here to help!!! No question is too stupid or silly if asked out of genuine curiosity and a need to know. :)

Oh, and HAVE FUN!!!! :bunny:

Last edited:
A

AuronPaladin

Well, I would start by checking out the manual "Getting Started" guide and doing the small examples included on the pages about "Drawing" and "Moving". Then you'll have a base on which to start actually making something. I 100% recommend trying to make some kind of simple game (or two or three!!!) before trying to make anything original. Something like asteroids, breakout, pang, etc... These old arcade games were really simple in terms of gameplay and can be made quite easily in GameMaker, and they'll teach you all the basics required to program a new game from scratch. I'd also check out some of the tutorials available from the GameMaker START page when you open the program, although keep in mind they haven't been updated and so you'll need to change any scripts (see here!) when doing them. Again, it'll help with the basics. You can also find learning resources from the YYG page here (although, again, be aware of changes to how scripts work): https://www.yoyogames.com/learn

Finally, check out some YouTube tutorials... Again, due to recent changes in GM a LOT of these are out of date, and also some of the bigger tutorial producers unfortunately teach bad habits, but I can definitely recommend @matharoo and @Slyddar tutorials. Both make great content!

One thing I can't stress enough though... START SMALL! I've said it already, but the quickest road to frustration is trying to do things you're not equipped to do, so make small things first and then work your way up to creating your first "main" project. Also, don't be shy about posting to ask questions here! We've all been beginners once and we are all here to help!!! No question is too stupid or silly if asked out of genuine curiosity and a need to know. :)

Oh, and HAVE FUN!!!! :bunny:
Thank you so much for the insight! I will definitely ask questions if I get stuck.