• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Getting Started on a Turn Based RPG

Hi there! I've got experience working with action oriented games and have been doing GML for a few years now, but structurally the process of setting up a turn based battle system eludes me. On a 1v1 basis it's fine, but the logic and process of setting up a scenario with multiple enemy objects, multiple player objects, and multiple possible actions starts to elude me pretty quickly.

Does anybody have experience in this area, or a direction you could point me? The design calls for, for example, up to five player characters against up to fifteen enemy characters - But the more universal the principal the more arbitrary those numbers become, I think.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've got a super simple tactics engine for sale as an asset: https://yaru.itch.io/jam-tactics

With simple I mean "has almost no features" rather than "is easy to use", but it could be worth checking out nonetheless.