1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Started on a Turn Based RPG

Discussion in 'Programming' started by OfficerFriendly, Aug 13, 2019.

1. OfficerFriendly

OfficerFriendly Member

Hi there! I've got experience working with action oriented games and have been doing GML for a few years now, but structurally the process of setting up a turn based battle system eludes me. On a 1v1 basis it's fine, but the logic and process of setting up a scenario with multiple enemy objects, multiple player objects, and multiple possible actions starts to elude me pretty quickly.

Does anybody have experience in this area, or a direction you could point me? The design calls for, for example, up to five player characters against up to fifteen enemy characters - But the more universal the principal the more arbitrary those numbers become, I think.

2. TheSly

TheSly Member

Try this tutorial. I've actually used it a few years ago and found it useful.