Getting recognised

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Names_Pending, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Names_Pending

Names_Pending Member

Hey all,

So I've been developing for a little while now after getting back in to it since studying at college and there's one thing I struggle with. Getting my games recognized and played.

My question to you all is, how do you get your game out there? Do you pay for advertising? Do you simply have more people share your game through social media?

2. Widget

Widget Member

Having a presence on social media, Twitter being a big one, helps. With the right hashtags you'll get auto-retweets from bots, which are followed by real people who will see it. You'll have to be consistence with posts, though. Too long with nothing going on and you'll be out of peoples' mind, so having a schedule/list of quotas would be good. Progress info on your current project is sufficient with this kind of thing.

If you're not up for paying for advertising, you'll simply have to do that stuff yourself. Asking people to share your game without something in return may not be reliable.

3. Genetix

Genetix Member

Double down on ASO, SEO (I suppose depending on if you're releasing mobile games or on PC?) - I've had some great luck and netted over 5 million downloads the last few years, and yet still spend a lot of time working on apps that flop.

4. The-any-Key

The-any-Key Member

5. YanBG

YanBG Member

Social media is a scam, so all that mention it as first thing, probably don't know much about business(don't get mad, i've been there too). I saw your post about Kongregate so you are on the right track.

For PC, where i'm focused right now, you should look for publisher. I can write a longer post later if you want.

Here are some tips i've been looking into:

Some of this guy's stuff

Jeff Vogel's story, just for fun :D

Problem is, now i "think" i can sell the game but there is nothing to show to publishers. Already got declined a few times, so yeah might get back to the drawing board.