• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Getting Around GMS 2

RizbIT

Just bought GMS 2 Mobile.

I can just import my old GMS 1.4 project thats cool.

But as i expected when I go to compile i get loads of errors.

So i have a few questions if any one interested to answer (and yes ive read the manual..)
To move around the workspace I have to press the middle mouse and drag the space. Ok but why the does mouse whell not work to scroll the space up/down...it only works when i press CTRL key.

I get errors due to google extensions, so I assume I just delete the older GooglePlayServicesExtension and GooglePlayServicesIAPExtension extensions and download new ones from the marketplace to use IAP features

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Welcome to the dark side... :p

Okay, so, navigating GMS2 can be a bit weird when you first make the transition, but check out this article for some hints and tips: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/539/workspace-navigation-tips-and-tricks
As for workspace scrolling, the mouse wheel pans the workspace up/down for me, and Ctrl + Wheel zooms in and out...

The google extensions issue will indeed need you to remove the ones from the 1.4 project and re-add them from the Google Play Services extension from the marketplace. Note that IAPs have change significantly and your old code is not really translatable, so if you want to keep using IAPs in the project you'll have to redo them pretty much from scratch.

RizbIT

yes didnt realise it was included in the google services extension.

ok in gms 1 in the code editor there were lots of features, like copy, paste, search, the top toolbar, wheres that all gone in GMS2?

To make a play compliant app what should you choose in android options architecture please?

rIKmAN

ok in gms 1 in the code editor there were lots of features, like copy, paste, search, the top toolbar, wheres that all gone in GMS2?
I've always used keyboard shortcuts for things like that, which are the same as in most other programs:

CTRL+C - Copy
CTRL+V - Paste
CTRL+X - Cut
CTRL+Z - Undo
CTRL+F - Local Find (with dropdown for replace if required)
CTRL+SHIFT+F - Global Search & Replace
CTRL+T - Find Resource (as per the link Nocturne gave you above)

There is also a full list of keyboard shortcuts in the manual, as well as a Quick Start section which I would recommend you read through to get aquainted with the new IDE, it's layout and various features which have changed from 1.4.
To make a play compliant app what should you choose in android options architecture please?
This depends on what devices you want to target - as it says in the Android: Compiling Your App article:
Finally, you may want to change the Architecture options before you upload to a store. With the architectures, you can select the ones you want the game to target, with the obvious choice being to select them all to get the widest coverage of devices. However, each different target architecture will add to the size of your final package and so may be considered extra bulk for little gain (especially with bigger projects that may not run well on lower end devices anyway). Currently ARM is the most common processor to target and will get the maximum coverage (ARMv5 is for older devices - but still widely used - while ARMv7 is the most common).
It won't be what you want to hear, but I'd recommend you set aside an hour or two to read through the various manual sections and articles and get some hands on practice with the IDE as that's really the only way to get more comfortable with it and doing so (alongside reading the manual / articles) will answer many of your initial questions.

RizbIT

ok so just select all of them even the x86 one.

I get what you saying, i will def have a read of the manual more, but even there it doesnt really tell you about difference between x86_64 and Arm64, so these are just different processors, i read something about not bothering with the x86 ones due to limited devices that use them

Edit:
The IDE GUI they have tried to make more 'professional' lookingand it is similar to free dev software like Visual Studio and Android Studio but its not as responsive as those free ones. it is 'clunky' on mine the mouse wheel which is supposed to zoom in and out does nothing, mouse scroll on sections does nothing. i could get use to it, but i still prefer GMS 1.4 GUI.

Last edited:

RizbIT

Can you move an object (in room editor) from one layer to another, i cant seem to.
Can you select an object in the room editor and somehow click it to go to its code/events to edit it

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Can you move an object (in room editor) from one layer to another, i cant seem to.
Not exactly... You have to cut it, select the new layer then paste it into the new layer. I believe there is already a bug filed suggesting a "move to layer" option be added, but when it'll happen, I can't say.

Can you select an object in the room editor and somehow click it to go to its code/events to edit it
Double click the object then select the button labelled "Edit Object".

:)

RizbIT

Im getting use to it, once ive got hang of the IDE im going to be looking at new functions available...