• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX get_save_filename() not working on a Mac

U

Ufy

Hi, below is my code:
saveDir = get_save_filename("*.txt", room_get_name(room) + ".txt");
file = file_text_open_write(saveDir);
file_text_write_string(file, levelData);
file_text_close(file);
I was following Gloomy Toad Studios' tutorial on a Spelunky level generator. However, I have noticed that the get_save_filename*( is not working. After doing some reading, apparently it has been added for mac, or has it?

If it has been added, then why is it not working in my computer?

If not, any other alternative that I can use?

If you need, the video that I followed can be seen below, and the code is written at the 27:55 minute mark.

Thanks,
Ufy.

On my phone so don't have a direct link, but these functions were enabled for Mac in the last release of GMS 2. It's in the release notes of the previous version.

I know because I had been waiting for these ones for a while.

I used get_open_filename() successfully on Mac.

Will test later to see if the save also works.

U

Ufy

On my phone so don't have a direct link, but these functions were enabled for Mac in the last release of GMS 2. It's in the release notes of the previous version.

I know because I had been waiting for these ones for a while.

I used get_open_filename() successfully on Mac.

Will test later to see if the save also works.
Well, is there an alternative that I can use since it is not working in my situation?

All I can suggest is check the marketplace. There are several extensions that let you access files outside of the sandbox. Maybe on of them is compatible with Mac.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
It looks like something has broken the Mac versions of get_open_filename and get_save_filename - from the look of it GMS is stopped thinking the Open and Save panels are open but nothing is displayed... I will bug and get it investigated.

Russell

U

Ufy

It looks like something has broken the Mac versions of get_open_filename and get_save_filename - from the look of it GMS is stopped thinking the Open and Save panels are open but nothing is displayed... I will bug and get it investigated.

Russell
Thanks for the reply. When the bug is fixed, can you please inform us?

Thanks.

2cute2die

Russell

nice, I really need this to work aswell. thanksssss

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Mac has no support for multiple filters, also does not support having a filter description, also doesn't support an asterisk to represent allow all file types.

They already told me when i filed a bug for it even though these things are supported on Studio 1.x for Windows, Studio 2 for Windows, and pre-studio legacy versions of GM, including even GM4Mac 7.5, they said it "is not a bug" that it doesn't work properly and instead they called it a "feature request" on my end as they clearly don't take serious bugs like these as a priority at all, so much that they flat out deny thier unfinished, half-assed mac implementation of these functions are completely broken. They're not even available for Linux.

If you don't want to wait a million years for them to address this, my asset can be downloaded free on GitHub if you know how to import the DLL as an extension package yourself, or contact me if you want a demo project including that for free. Otherwise, it is a little over 10 USD on the marketplace:

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/6621/dialog-module

Also includes full Linux support for multiple desktop envionments (KDialog for KDE/LXQt support, Zenity for all GTK+-powered DE's). There's support for a color picker, browse for folder, password input, yes/no/cancel, ok/cancel and the list goes on for the dialogs you may create with it along with settings. Full UTF-8 support on all desktop platforms. Only Desktop platform yet to be supported that Studio has is the UWP target. Techincally, the Linux source code can even be compiled out of the box and be used on platforms that GMS will never support, such as BSD and OpenSolaris.

Last edited by a moderator: