• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Get_open_filename doesn't work, any alternatives?

Mr Giff

Hi guys, so I've switched all my game creation and programming to Mac now that GMS2 has come out but when I wen't to use:
Code:
 get_open_filename()
nothing happens. I looked in the manual and it says these are windows functions only. Does anyone know of a way to open files on Mac / OSX via GML? Is there a function or extension I could buy / make?

I used to use this function a lot :\

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I added limited support for get_open_filename() a couple of weeks ago (the filters are not working properly yet, but the dialog comes up) - it should be in the build after next (I did not make the QA deadline). (also did get_save_filename(), at the same time, before I get a load of messages about that).

Russell

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I added limited support for get_open_filename() a couple of weeks ago (the filters are not working properly yet, but the dialog comes up) - it should be in the build after next (I did not make the QA deadline). (also did get_save_filename(), at the same time, before I get a load of messages about that).

Russell
@rwkay That's great news! Thank you so much!! :D Is this a Mac-only addition or is Linux being done simultaneously?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Only Mac for the moment - Linux is a bit more special because to my knowledge Linux does not have a one size fits all Dialog equivalent for all window managers in the Linux users, anyone who knows different let me know.

Russell

S

Sam (Deleted User)

No, you're right. :) I've actually looked up my options for making a Linux extension that does this, and yeah there is no universal way of doing it. It was more involved of a task than I planned on and so I eventually gave up.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hence why Linux support for get_open_filename will take quite a while....

Russell

2cute2die

Hi guys, so I've switched all my game creation and programming to Mac now that GMS2 has come out but when I wen't to use:
Code:
 get_open_filename()
nothing happens. I looked in the manual and it says these are windows functions only. Does anyone know of a way to open files on Mac / OSX via GML? Is there a function or extension I could buy / make?

I used to use this function a lot :\

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you find an alternative? seems the mac version still doesn't work for me.

It *was* working in the previous version of GMS 2 for Mac OS, the current version is currently not working again. @rwkay said in another thread they are looking into it.