Mac OSX Get_open_filename doesn't work, any alternatives?

Mr Giff

Hi guys, so I've switched all my game creation and programming to Mac now that GMS2 has come out but when I wen't to use:
Code:
 get_open_filename()
nothing happens. I looked in the manual and it says these are windows functions only. Does anyone know of a way to open files on Mac / OSX via GML? Is there a function or extension I could buy / make?

I used to use this function a lot :\

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rwkay

YoYo Games Staff
YYG Staff
I added limited support for get_open_filename() a couple of weeks ago (the filters are not working properly yet, but the dialog comes up) - it should be in the build after next (I did not make the QA deadline). (also did get_save_filename(), at the same time, before I get a load of messages about that).

Russell

Samuel Venable

Time Killer
I added limited support for get_open_filename() a couple of weeks ago (the filters are not working properly yet, but the dialog comes up) - it should be in the build after next (I did not make the QA deadline). (also did get_save_filename(), at the same time, before I get a load of messages about that).

Russell
@rwkay That's great news! Thank you so much!! :D Is this a Mac-only addition or is Linux being done simultaneously?

rwkay

YoYo Games Staff
YYG Staff
Only Mac for the moment - Linux is a bit more special because to my knowledge Linux does not have a one size fits all Dialog equivalent for all window managers in the Linux users, anyone who knows different let me know.

Russell

Samuel Venable

Time Killer
No, you're right. :) I've actually looked up my options for making a Linux extension that does this, and yeah there is no universal way of doing it. It was more involved of a task than I planned on and so I eventually gave up.

rwkay

YoYo Games Staff
YYG Staff
Hence why Linux support for get_open_filename will take quite a while....

Russell

2cute2die

Hi guys, so I've switched all my game creation and programming to Mac now that GMS2 has come out but when I wen't to use:
Code:
 get_open_filename()
nothing happens. I looked in the manual and it says these are windows functions only. Does anyone know of a way to open files on Mac / OSX via GML? Is there a function or extension I could buy / make?

I used to use this function a lot :\

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you find an alternative? seems the mac version still doesn't work for me.

It *was* working in the previous version of GMS 2 for Mac OS, the current version is currently not working again. @rwkay said in another thread they are looking into it.