• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Get Key failed: Given final block not properly padded. Such issues can arise if a bad key is used during decryption.

yaragad

Hi.

While building an .apk for Android / local / YYC on 2.3.5.458 and get the error below.
- When I click on Show Key, it works correctly.
- Im runing same SKD, NDK and JRE than in the instructions, and they are installed.
- This error happens after 3 minutes, so I think game is compiled already.

> com.android.ide.common.signing.KeytoolException: Failed to read key myName from store "D:\Programacion de juegos\GM2\key.keystore": Get Key failed: Given final block not properly padded. Such issues can arise if a bad key is used during decryption.

Thanks!!

Let me share with you something baffling about this issue as I've been testing it since yesterday as I am in the process of releasing an app.
I've so far tried on
1. Android Studio v.4.2.2, and Android Studio Arctic Fox patch 2 and patch 3
2. use NDK v.2.2.0, v.2.3.0 and v.2.3.1
3. combine with the keystore file generated from GMS2 IDE v.2.3.5 STABLE and GMS2 IDE v.2.3.6 BETA.
4. Target API 31 Min 16, Target API 31 Min 19, Target API 30 Min 16, Target API 30 Min 19

Always end result is BUILD FAILED with the bad key decryption message as you received.

But when I test using keystore from different projects that was generated using IDE v.2.3.4 or older, on the IDE v.2.3.5 with either of those 2 Android Studio mentioned above ..... BUILD SUCCESS! How weird can that be? LOL

I think something is messed up with the build.gradle, but I can't seems to pinpoint what it is.

Edit:
I've finally identified the root of the problem.
as.png
The problem is the KEYSTORE file itself! While no problem generating and show hash using 2 different password for Common Name and Alias. Our Alias Password in the keystore file doesn't match the one in the above input box being read by the keystore tool, why? because the decryption tool is instead looking for our Alias Password in the common name's password column when building apk/aab/test on android target. This mismatch causes it to fail to decrypt to build our app. How I found out was simple;
I did a test with 2 copies of Keystore files; 1 from v.2.3.5 the other from a project I made in v..2.3.4. I ran it on a keystore editor, did a simple change from PKCS12 to JKS, it ask for password to my alias, I input the alias password it tells me it was wrong, I input the password to my common name, it works. So apparently GMS2 create our keystore the way we want/expected based on what we input in the above, but when it read the keystore for building process, the decryption process tried reading our common name's password for the alias instead of use the alias password.

That said, to solve the build fail:
If lets say currently if your already generated KEYSTORE FILE, the PASSWORD and ALIAS PASSWORD are different (like it is in my case), after SHOW HASH KEY you delete the ALIAS PASSWORD column and type in your Common Name's PASSWORD, then you press APPLY, and then do the build. OR, just make a new KEYSTORE with the PASSWORD and ALIAS PASSWORD set the same if it's a new project. I know it adds to the risk of being easier to hack. While for project already released to Play Store, if using its keystore made using older IDE, if it fail to build on v.2.3.5 Stable/v.2.3.6 Beta, I suggest wait until a fix is released.

If you go to C:\Users\[PCNAME]\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\[PROJECTNAME]\Android\Default\[PROJECTNAME] after successful build, then look into the "build.gradle", file you will see that both PASSWORD and ALIAS PASSWORD will be the same. While the FAILED one will show the 2 password aren't the same (which would be what at least mine was originally). That said, we're currently being forced to implement same password for both columns.

But again it's strange that there's no problem with it recognizing 2 different passwords in PASSWORD and ALIAS PASSWORD when come to keystore file generated in older IDE - Runtime. LOL

That said, nudging @Dan and @rwkay to fix this since I've detected the same issue in v.2.3.6 Beta as well. :p

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Yes, this is in our bug database already and having both passwords the same is actually how we document it on our Android setup guide; however, I also thought that we had fixed this a while back and so something must have broken more recently...

I have now added all your info here to the bug report. Thanks.

Well I didn't even know having same password is what's in the documentation. Well I don't think users will want to have them both the same for security reason, and I've been using different passwords for the longest time with no issue before this version. But still good to know you're going to look into this issue. Thanks @Dan.