Asset - Project Geon FX — Particle Editor

N

NeutralD

Hello, I think I found a major bug. @NeutralD

On geon_effect_add(path, ps);

When you give your own created part system (on ps), it's still not using that part system we created when _burst or _stream! Instead it's using some other random particle system (I'm guessing it's the default one)
It frustrated me so much.

Can you please give it a look?
Please replace the imported asset scripts with this file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ltz5dbm5lD8OT_WdTXpPo9Wkvn1y_KpW
You'll be able to find the script here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QSlhmQnjnaR_OWRygzQojzvi45vGDULk

Gunner

Please replace the imported asset scripts with this file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ltz5dbm5lD8OT_WdTXpPo9Wkvn1y_KpW
You'll be able to find the script here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QSlhmQnjnaR_OWRygzQojzvi45vGDULk
Apparently still doesn't work.

I know this from adding this line
Code:
show_debug_message("ps geon used: " + string(ps));
on line 103 on Geon_FX_Particle_Editor_Runtime.gml

Then add another line to check my own created part system

Code:
psTest = part_system_create();
part_system_depth(psTest, -1);
part = geon_effect_add("particles/2.geon", psTest);
geon_effect_burst(part, mouse_x, mouse_y);

sd("ps used: ", psTest); // This one

Result was they're still different.
ps geon used: 1
ps used: 5

C

CombatCalamity

Hello, your extension really no longer works correctly since the past 3-4 months, but the update recently really rendered it useless since game won't run at all when using your functions (geon_effect_*) stuff.

Please please fix it, also I see a problem above as reported by @Gunner , I also had that but was able to do some temporary workaround.

Particles also now look totally different in game vs on geon preview.

Last update is a long time ago I believe, can we expect some updates??

N

NeutralD

Hello, your extension really no longer works correctly since the past 3-4 months, but the update recently really rendered it useless since game won't run at all when using your functions (geon_effect_*) stuff.

Please please fix it, also I see a problem above as reported by @Gunner , I also had that but was able to do some temporary workaround.

Particles also now look totally different in game vs on geon preview.

Last update is a long time ago I believe, can we expect some updates??
Hello,
Thanks for posting a comment! Would you like to take part in testing of the newest version of Geon FX? I'm looking for the beta testers right now.

C

CombatCalamity

Hello,
Thanks for posting a comment! Would you like to take part in testing of the newest version of Geon FX? I'm looking for the beta testers right now.
Yeah, I would be interested. I use Geon FX all day, not just the editor but also the .gml extension, extensively, even modding/fixing some errors it has. It has been a crucial tool in my workflow, and having it fixed would be one of my top priorities for now. Please count me in.

Do you not want to do this via Discord or something?

N

NeutralD

Yeah, I would be interested. I use Geon FX all day, not just the editor but also the .gml extension, extensively, even modding/fixing some errors it has. It has been a crucial tool in my workflow, and having it fixed would be one of my top priorities for now. Please count me in.

Do you not want to do this via Discord or something?
Discord channel sounds cool! Please join:
https://discord.gg/JJpnRuv

S

Saf

The fix didn't work for me :( I get a runtime error when I launch it through game maker.
Can you please update the marketplace project directly? Thanks for the help.

Carbon

The fix didn't work for me :( I get a runtime error when I launch it through game maker.
Can you please update the marketplace project directly? Thanks for the help.
Hey, me too, I thought I was the only one!

I had to edit the source file manually to get it working...

GameMaker just always crashed when I tried to import the updated extension... What's wrong? Why not just do it like the older version, importing has always worked for me

Reactions: Saf
S

Saf

The Geon team doesn't seem to respond to make it compatible with the current version of GM.
Can anyone explain how to fix it? I tried to include the files as suggested by NeutralD but no luck.. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

N

NeutralD

The Geon team doesn't seem to respond to make it compatible with the current version of GM.
Can anyone explain how to fix it? I tried to include the files as suggested by NeutralD but no luck.. Screenshot attached.
A HUGE UPDATE for GameMaker Studio 2.2.2+ should be available now. Please update your GMS2 asset. Also, we're doing a 30% DISCOUNT.

I'm checking the marketplace from MyLibrary but i do not see any update. I have the Geon FX since year and the latest update seem to be not available. At least for me.

N

NeutralD

I'm checking the marketplace from MyLibrary but i do not see any update. I have the Geon FX since year and the latest update seem to be not available. At least for me.
Are you using GMS2? GMS2 asset has been updated. Official support for GMS1 has been suspended by YoYo Games.

R

Rattlejaw

Hello, I have a question. I purchased this off the Marketplace. I was wondering where I can download the stand alone exe for this, because when I download from the Marketplace link, it only downloads a yymp file.

rIKmAN

Hello, I have a question. I purchased this off the Marketplace. I was wondering where I can download the stand alone exe for this, because when I download from the Marketplace link, it only downloads a yymp file.
If you import the asset into GMS/GMS2, the archive containing the exe is found in the Included Files section of the Resource Tree.

If you can't do that then you can open .yymp in WinRar, 7Zip etc, extract the contents and then grab the exe from there.

R

Rattlejaw

If you import the asset into GMS/GMS2, the archive containing the exe is found in the Included Files section of the Resource Tree.

If you can't do that then you can open .yymp in WinRar, 7Zip etc, extract the contents and then grab the exe from there.
Thanks! I found it.

Elodman

Greets.

Very nice looking & performing editor indeed, congrats! I also found your 3 year old reddit channel.
Some questions arise though, from a beginner particle user. Hope to see some replies.

1- The demo version is limited only in saving capabilities?​
2- Any method exists to have some kind of (scalable) pixelated effects?​
(or the solution is: after importing to GMS, the game's screen resolution will apply to the imported Geon thingies? )​
3- Garbage collection commands are generated, too?​
( part_type_destroy(global.Particle1); part_emitter_destroy(global.P_System, global.Emitter1) )​
4- Easy to attach the created scripts to one instance? (e.g. comet trail)​
5- Can any effects be applied (glow, outline,) ?​
6- Zoom function can only be seen in the editor, right? It won't affect the generated script.​
7- Approximate time interval of current discount - if not a business secret?​

Thanx!

N

NeutralD

Greets.

Very nice looking & performing editor indeed, congrats! I also found your 3 year old reddit channel.
Some questions arise though, from a beginner particle user. Hope to see some replies.

1- The demo version is limited only in saving capabilities?​
2- Any method exists to have some kind of (scalable) pixelated effects?​
(or the solution is: after importing to GMS, the game's screen resolution will apply to the imported Geon thingies? )​
3- Garbage collection commands are generated, too?​
( part_type_destroy(global.Particle1); part_emitter_destroy(global.P_System, global.Emitter1) )​
4- Easy to attach the created scripts to one instance? (e.g. comet trail)​
5- Can any effects be applied (glow, outline,) ?​
6- Zoom function can only be seen in the editor, right? It won't affect the generated script.​
7- Approximate time interval of current discount - if not a business secret?​

Thanx!
Hi,
Thanks for asking!

1. Yes, the demo should be full-functional except for saving. Although It may be a little outdated (updates are coming to paid Pro version first).
  2. The scalable pixelated effect can be achieved by using custom sprites: http://www.steampanic.com/geonfx/particles-dl/PixelFire.zip
  3. Yes, those commands are generated too
  4. Yes, Geon FX comes with an extension allowing to attach an effect to an instance with one line of code. Playing and stoping the complex particles (consisting of several emitters) is also done with one single function: geon_effect_stream().
  5. All particles included in the effect will be treated as one effect and positioned correspondingly (e.g., comet trail will move with the comet).
  6. Glow and outline effects are not available now, but we're planning to add them in the future along with a pixelate shader (allowing for pixelating effects on the fly).
  7. No, it won't, zoom function is just for design purposes and works only in the editor.
  8. The discount will be available until Wednesday, the 8th of April 2020.

Cheers!

Elodman

Greets.

Thanx for detailed info, thus I purchased it quickly.

With the standalone .exe the geon effect file can be saved / loaded nicely, but somehow the export to GML option doesn't seem to function, or I don't know where generated script is placed.

1- In the settings "tab" I give a project folder name, then
2- press the export button & select export to "GML for Game Maker Studio 2", then
3- nothing happens. Neither files created in the project folder, nor a pop-up window...

What should be done, what do you suggest?

(Note: my Win. 7 pro x64 is not the most stable & reliable nowadays, perhaps this causes troubles.)

Also a remark to your early discount expiry date: in our country & possibly elsewhere too the Internet traffic has increased greatly (coz of pupils & workers & grandmas are online at home), causing "net-outages".

Thanx for any help.

EDIT: Quite worrying, that all /most other hotkeys work, except for: Ctrl + E - export all effects to GML code.

EDIT2: Using the built-in take screenshot icon brings up the the usual pop-up window, showing where to save file, etc. but doesn't create & save any PNG file.

EDIT3: Sorry for any good-will damage. On an other Win 10 machine the program works fine (except for screenshot taking -in my case).

Last edited:

Elodman

Greets to Geon Creators & Users!

On an other Win 10 machine the program works fine, generates GML script!
(though no screenshot taking, yet - in my case, but who cares for that).
Sorry for any good-will damage, caused by my previous post.

N

NeutralD

Greets to Geon Creators & Users!

On an other Win 10 machine the program works fine, generates GML script!
(though no screenshot taking, yet - in my case, but who cares for that).
Sorry for any good-will damage, caused by my previous post.
Hi,
  1. I'll discover what we can do with the Export GML function not working on some machines. The thing is that it should open standard Notepad for showing the script. If it doesn't it means Notepad is not present in the system for some reason or nothing is assigned with the .txt files.
  2. Screenshot function is obsolete and will be replaced with the Export to PNG / GIF function in the next update.
Thank you for choosing Geon FX!

I'm having an issue where the particle looks different in the editor than in our game when I export out the GML. Its game maker studio 2.2.481.

Here is how it look in Geon:
geonwater.png

But the exported GM2 code gives me:
gm.png
This was all done in one GeonFx project and you can see that when I export the effect, things are shifted around. They aren't exactly in the spots they are relative to eachother. You can ignore that wave at the bottom, that's actually supposed to be there. We want to use this on a big project for particles but such an early test we did for the capability and this is the result. I double checked that I put all the code in the correct spots as per the GM2 Export textfile. Any help would be appreciated!

Nevermind I figured it out. The sprite origin in game maker for the particle sprites were not set to the same thing as they were in Geon. Thanks anyway tho, this program has been great.

N

NeutralD

Nevermind I figured it out. The sprite origin in game maker for the particle sprites were not set to the same thing as they were in Geon. Thanks anyway tho, this program has been great.
Hi,
Thanks for using Geon FX! Would be proud to put your project on our website showcase section:
http://www.steampanic.com/geonfx/#showcase

Will plan to add 2 more features to simplify your work with the effects:
1. ZIP archived effect file that contains all the necessary images being loaded simultaneously
2. An option to EXPORT your effect DIRECTLY TO GMS2 and your project.

The first one would affect the performance (particle sprites loaded externally require more texture batches, therefore, are slower).
The second one requires some research on GMS2 file formats to merge them into the project properly. But we'll work on it.

P

PsychicParrot

This looks really cool! Trying to build particles through code is a painfully long process of trial and error - this would make that a lot easier! Downloading the demo to have a play..

N

NeutralD

This looks really cool! Trying to build particles through code is a painfully long process of trial and error - this would make that a lot easier! Downloading the demo to have a play..
Thanks a lot! Please give your feedback about the demo so we could improve the product.

P

PsychicParrot

Thanks a lot! Please give your feedback about the demo so we could improve the product.
SO far, wow this is great! Exactly what I need for GM - really nicely put together with a logical workflow. The only negative I have is that I'm not completely sure what the differences are between the Lite version and the full version. Couldn't see anything on the marketplace page - is there a list? Is it just saving?

Thanks!

N

NeutralD

SO far, wow this is great! Exactly what I need for GM - really nicely put together with a logical workflow. The only negative I have is that I'm not completely sure what the differences are between the Lite version and the full version. Couldn't see anything on the marketplace page - is there a list? Is it just saving?

Thanks!
Thanks a lot for your kind words! There's only one difference between Lite and Pro version: Save function. You can't Save and Export particle systems in the Lite version. It is written on the main website:
1595924366896.png
I will add this information to the MarketPlace page.

P

PsychicParrot

Awesome! I just noticed it's available on Itch so picked it up there as it's always going to be my store of preference! I'm looking forward to making lots of pretty particle effects. Thanks, NeutralD!

N

NeutralD

Hi guys,
just wanted to tell you that the updated version of Geon FX editor ( Geon_FX_Editor_1_3_2_Win.zip ) has been uploaded to Itch.IO:
https://nod.itch.io/geon-fx

It contains a lot of useful fixes (including the low FPS issue on some laptops). macOS version and asset update are coming soon.
Meanwhile, Geon FX is on sale with 30% off now.

Thank you for staying with us =)

rIKmAN

Hi guys,
just wanted to tell you that the updated version of Geon FX editor ( Geon_FX_Editor_1_3_2_Win.zip ) has been uploaded to Itch.IO:
https://nod.itch.io/geon-fx

It contains a lot of useful fixes (including the low FPS issue on some laptops). macOS version and asset update are coming soon.
Meanwhile, Geon FX is on sale with 30% off now.

Thank you for staying with us =)
Thanks for the update - will you be pushing it to the YYG Markeplace too?

N

NeutralD

Thanks for the update - will you be pushing it to the YYG Markeplace too?
Thanks for asking and following. Will do it next week. Also, I plan to rewrite the entire asset using Structs and binary files. Everything will work waaaaay faster.