Asset - Project Geon FX — Particle Editor

N

NeutralD

I have been using another particle effects program, and wish to replicate some effects from that program in Geon FX because of the automatic export to GML function.
However, by comparison there is a level of customizable 'complexity' missing from Geon FX--aside from the fact that Geon FX is in relatively early development, I am under the impression that the limitations are more to do with the Gamemaker software rather than Geon FX.
What's the story?
Have you been using GMS-oriented Particle Editor or something else that has a timeline, etc.?
Geon FX utilizes all GMS built-in particle functions. Such things as particle destroyers and deflectors are not available in GMS right now.
We would have to design and code our own particle system in order to make it more feature-rich and controllable.

Have you been using GMS-oriented Particle Editor or something else that has a timeline, etc.?
Geon FX utilizes all GMS built-in particle functions. Such things as particle destroyers and deflectors are not available in GMS right now.
Alright, that answers my question, thankyou. I thought it might have been more of a GM limitation than Geon FX.

N

NeutralD

Hi guys,

Just wanted to inform you that I'm working hard on porting Geon FX to GMS2. It'll give more opportunities to implement requested features:
  • Increased performance
  • Pixel-perfect zoom
  • Export to PNG strips and GIF
  • Export to JSON
  • GMS 2 particle system behavior: exactly the same numbers
It will also allow implementing even more cool stuff in the future:
  • Shader effects
  • Posting effects to online database
  • Posting GIF to Social Networks right from the Editor
Here is the mockup of upcoming features:

GIF-export-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there currently in existence, an online particle effect database? What GMS2 functionality exists for particle effects that improves upon GMS1.4?

OK thanks NeutralD, I didn't know GEON had such a 'library'--also, is there a paid library? Incidentally, I was wondering if there was a community supported library of effects, not necessarily linked to GEONFX.

I received this response from Jobo in another thread, which I'll quote here for convenience' sake:
Particles will see improvement in the future, though there's no time line on it atm as far as I'm aware. We are all eager to improve that side of the engine.
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/particle-effect-support-in-gms2.26041/

N

NeutralD

OK thanks NeutralD, I didn't know GEON had such a 'library'--also, is there a paid library? Incidentally, I was wondering if there was a community supported library of effects, not necessarily linked to GEONFX.

I received this response from Jobo in another thread, which I'll quote here for convenience' sake:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/particle-effect-support-in-gms2.26041/
No, there's no paid library for now, nor a community supported library. Not even for GMS in general. Sorry for that. We will definitely update Geon FX to the latest particle system when it comes.

I

Ian

Hi guys,

Just wanted to inform you that I'm working hard on porting Geon FX to GMS2. It'll give more opportunities to implement requested features:
  • Increased performance
  • Pixel-perfect zoom
  • Export to PNG strips and GIF
  • Export to JSON
  • GMS 2 particle system behavior: exactly the same numbers
It will also allow implementing even more cool stuff in the future:
  • Shader effects
  • Posting effects to online database
  • Posting GIF to Social Networks right from the Editor
Here is the mockup of upcoming features:

View attachment 7725
Hi, was just curious on your progress with the zoom feature for pixel art games.

Slyddar

Simple suggestion, but can you make shift-tab move back a cell in the editor pls?
Also shift-home and shift-end should allow you to highlight all text in the cell to make editing quicker, and home and end are really useful to move to the start and end of a input box, especially when typing in the settings for particle names, etc.
When you chose a color in Particle Appearance, and want to use it else where, clicking Add to Custom Colors should save it, but when you go back into colors the custom color does not save.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Hi,
Thanks for your question. Porting Geon FX to GMS took more time than I expected. Zoom is in progress. I will publish more info about the beta test of Geon FX 2 here and on Twitter: https://twitter.com/steampanic
Is Geon FX 2 going to be another purchase or an update for existing Geon FX users?

It sounded earlier in the thread like you were updating the current version, but the last post makes it sound like it's going to be a separate product.

N

NeutralD

Simple suggestion, but can you make shift-tab move back a cell in the editor pls?
Also shift-home and shift-end should allow you to highlight all text in the cell to make editing quicker, and home and end are really useful to move to the start and end of a input box, especially when typing in the settings for particle names, etc.
When you chose a color in Particle Appearance, and want to use it else where, clicking Add to Custom Colors should save it, but when you go back into colors the custom color does not save.
  • Shift+TAB — DONE;
  • Shift+Home and Shift-End, Home and End work fine for effect names (popup window with input form). Doesn't work in settings, but I'll see what I can do;
  • Custom Colors are now saved correctly since I'm using my own DLL for the color picker tool instead of built-in.
All these changes along with other features will be presented in Geon FX 2.

N

NeutralD

Is Geon FX 2 going to be another purchase or an update for existing Geon FX users?

It sounded earlier in the thread like you were updating the current version, but the last post makes it sound like it's going to be a separate product.
Updating Geon FX became quite a difficult task due to old engine limitations. I had to port Geon FX to GMS in order to make new features possible. And spent quite some time doing it. Geon FX 2 will be a major update. Like GMS 2 comparing to GMS. Now here's the question. What should we do?

1. Offer a 50% discount for all old Geon FX users (like YoYo Games did with GMS2). New users will pay full price (~ $10)
  2. Make Geon FX 2 free for old users, but increase the price tag for all newcomers (~ $15).
  3. Maintain low price for new Geon FX 2 users and allow old ones to update for free, but ask for your support: reposts and retweets?

Slyddar

All these changes along with other features will be presented in Geon FX 2.
I just purchased your product a few days ago, with no knowledge there would be a new one released within a short time, considering your marketing on the store lists GMS2 as being compatible. Well done for fixing the issues you listed, but are you saying I now need to purchase your new version in order to receive what I would say were mostly small bug fixes that should of been in the program originally? If so, that's leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.

N

NeutralD

I just purchased your product a few days ago, with no knowledge there would be a new one released within a short time, considering your marketing on the store lists GMS2 as being compatible. Well done for fixing the issues you listed, but are you saying I now need to purchase your new version in order to receive what I would say were mostly small bug fixes that should of been in the program originally? If so, that's leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.
Geon FX exports GMS2 compatible particle effects, that is true. I've ported the application (it's code) to GMS, not the particle systems that it exports (which already supports GMS 2).
New app engine will give you performance boost + potentially allow us to add even more requested features. I didn't say that you would have to purchase Geon FX again. We will either give an update to Geon FX 2 for free or update Geon FX 1 to fix all bugs there. Thank you for helping us!

I

Ian

Updating Geon FX became quite a difficult task due to old engine limitations. I had to port Geon FX to GMS in order to make new features possible. And spent quite some time doing it. Geon FX 2 will be a major update. Like GMS 2 comparing to GMS. Now here's the question. What should we do?

1. Offer a 50% discount for all old Geon FX users (like YoYo Games did with GMS2). New users will pay full price (~ $10)
  2. Make Geon FX 2 free for old users, but increase the price tag for all newcomers (~ $15).
  3. Maintain low price for new Geon FX 2 users and allow old ones to update for free, but ask for your support: reposts and retweets?
I like the second option but it all depends on how many features you include. All i want is zoom but if im going to have to pay for a new version just for that, i wont.

So i think the main thing to think about is splitting the features up into a necessary/extra (stuff you would pay for) list. This may be bias but i do think something like zoom should be necessary due to many GM Developers using pixel art.

"* Zoom. We will add it in the next update. We understand how important the zoom is for pixel art effects;"
Also this was promised for the next geon fx 1 update.

P.S.
Will zoom only be available for GMS2?

P.P.S.
Also dont want to give you all this constructive criticism without saying i am a big fan of this asset, i even have it pinned to my taskbar :) Keep up the good work!

Andrey

Hello!
I want to clarify ... Can the animation series be exported to png files? In some cases I do not want to do export of particles, but I want to do export of animation in png.
Привет!
Хочу уточнить… Можно ли анимационный ряд экспортировать в файлы png? В некоторых случаях я не хочу делать экспорт частиц, а хочу сделать экспорт анимации в png.

N

NeutralD

I like the second option but it all depends on how many features you include. All i want is zoom but if im going to have to pay for a new version just for that, i wont.

So i think the main thing to think about is splitting the features up into a necessary/extra (stuff you would pay for) list. This may be bias but i do think something like zoom should be necessary due to many GM Developers using pixel art.

"* Zoom. We will add it in the next update. We understand how important the zoom is for pixel art effects;"
Also this was promised for the next geon fx 1 update.

P.S.
Will zoom only be available for GMS2?

P.P.S.
Also dont want to give you all this constructive criticism without saying i am a big fan of this asset, i even have it pinned to my taskbar :) Keep up the good work!
Let me clarify the zoom feature: it is zooming in and out in the Geon FX editor, not the zooming of exported particles since this can be done now by changing their scale or size. And because of this zoom is available in the editor for both GMS and GMS2.

N

NeutralD

Hello!
I want to clarify ... Can the animation series be exported to png files? In some cases I do not want to do export of particles, but I want to do export of animation in png.
Привет!
Хочу уточнить… Можно ли анимационный ряд экспортировать в файлы png? В некоторых случаях я не хочу делать экспорт частиц, а хочу сделать экспорт анимации в png.
Since ZOOM is done already this feature is next on our to-do list for Geon FX 2.

Dmi7ry

Can you change color's values from dec to hex, like part_type_color3(global.pt_Effect3, $ffffff, $ffffff, $ffffff); instead of part_type_color3(global.pt_Effect3, 16777215, 16777215, 16777215); in generated scripts?

N

NeutralD

Can you change color's values from dec to hex, like part_type_color3(global.pt_Effect3, $ffffff, $ffffff, $ffffff); instead of part_type_color3(global.pt_Effect3, 16777215, 16777215, 16777215); in generated scripts?
Done. Will be available in Geon FX 2:

Also, zoom:

C

cuetzpalin

Hello,

I wanted to try the lite version (Mac) but I get this message:

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 3.55.17 PM.png

What can I do?

C

cuetzpalin

Hi!
Thanks for your interest in Geon FX! Please, follow this guide to be able to run unsigned apps downloaded from the internet:

That should help.
That did the trick!

Thanks for the help. I bought it now that I could make it run. :)

J

Jmation

A nice addition might be to add the code snippet to destroy the particles in the export to gml.

N

NeutralD

A nice addition might be to add the code snippet to destroy the particles in the export to gml.

Done. It will be available in the next Geon FX update. Including other features:
  • Faster rendering engine (Geon FX now works using GMS renderer);
  • Zoom;
  • Export to PNG strip;
  • Support for HEX Colors;
  • Support for FPS Real display;
  • Various small additions;
  • Various bugfixes.

N

NeutralD

NEW GEON FX v1.0b FOR -50% OFF SALE PRICE!
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/4574/geon-fx-particle-editor
  • Completely rewritten in GMS (faster rendering using DX9)
  • Zoom In and Out feature
  • HEX color is now available for GML export (switch in Settings window)
  • Destroying Emitters in GML Export code
  • Particle effects should run exactly as in GMS1 and GMS2 runners
  • Precision fix (0.01 are allowed now)
  • Set Default Printer or Stop Spoolsv.exe bugfix is not needed anymore (hooray!)
  • Lots of bugfixes

N

NeutralD

Windows owners, please update to version 1.1b!
  • A bug with project saving into the wrong folder fixed! Sorry for that;
  • An external background should move properly now (Ctrl + RMB).

M

mjadev

for info: I have extracted win version from the zip (Geon_FX_Pro_v1_1b_Win.zip) and when launching the .exe file, it's still indicated v1.0b in the status bar

N

NeutralD

for info: I have extracted win version from the zip (Geon_FX_Pro_v1_1b_Win.zip) and when launching the .exe file, it's still indicated v1.0b in the status bar
Oh, I forgot to increase the build number in hurry. Thanks for the report! I'll fix it with the next update.

Carbon

Hey, is there any way we can default the particle shapes to GMS 2? Having to do it everytime I create an emitter is quite painful and sometimes I forgot to so I ended up with a particle that looks totally different in the end.

N

NeutralD

Hey, is there any way we can default the particle shapes to GMS 2? Having to do it everytime I create an emitter is quite painful and sometimes I forgot to so I ended up with a particle that looks totally different in the end.
OK, will add this to Settings. Please stay tuned for the next update.

Carbon

Hey, I think I found a pretty serious bug.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c77sti7bfcnf1f9/geon bug.zip?dl=0

Try download that and open it on geon editor, compare it vs what comes out on the built in geon importer (the ones that use geon_effect_burst etc)

Basically the particles come out VERY different compared to the real native GML import..

geon_effect_burst and geon_effect_stream both also produced different results.

I think this is really a dealbreaker and I hope you guys can really rush to fix this as this will completely prevent people from working on the particles at all.. Importing via GML is really awful and tedious so I really really hope you can fix this asap.

Thank you so much and wish to hear back sooner..

N

NeutralD

Hey, I think I found a pretty serious bug.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c77sti7bfcnf1f9/geon bug.zip?dl=0

Try download that and open it on geon editor, compare it vs what comes out on the built in geon importer (the ones that use geon_effect_burst etc)

Basically the particles come out VERY different compared to the real native GML import..

geon_effect_burst and geon_effect_stream both also produced different results.

I think this is really a dealbreaker and I hope you guys can really rush to fix this as this will completely prevent people from working on the particles at all.. Importing via GML is really awful and tedious so I really really hope you can fix this asap.

Thank you so much and wish to hear back sooner..
Hi,
Thanks for using Geon FX!

Need more details to solve this.
  1. What GameMaker version are you using?
  2. If you're using GMS2 have you imported GMS1 particle shapes into your project (pt_shapes_gms1 folder)?
  3. Please, make Emitter heights 1px instead of 0px in both effects. There is a bug that prevents loading emitters of 0 size. It will be fixed in the next Geon FX update.
Pardon for that. Thank you!

Carbon

Hi,
Thanks for using Geon FX!

Need more details to solve this.
  1. What GameMaker version are you using?
  2. If you're using GMS2 have you imported GMS1 particle shapes into your project (pt_shapes_gms1 folder)?
  3. Please, make Emitter heights 1px instead of 0px in both effects. There is a bug that prevents loading emitters of 0 size. It will be fixed in the next Geon FX update.
Pardon for that. Thank you!
1. Latest one, 2.1.5 with the latest runtime as well.
2. Yes, I have done it, in fact I actually tried doing this on the sample project on Geon folder. Didn't change a thing, just changed the geon file alone.
3. Okay the 'non 0' actually kinda fixed it, but it is very clear now that the problem lies on the width and height of the emitter.. It works fine now on streaming, but not when bursting... My emitter shape is straight 180 deg line, but then it comes out to be very diagonal, like this '\' instead of this '-'. Also more problem happens when emitter width is below 0.. It comes out to be very narrow as if the width is only 1 or something.

EDIT: It works fine now with _stream, as long as you keep your emitter width above 0 (and the height to be not 0). Meanwhile I'm waiting for the fix, I will do a simple workaround by manually turning on and off the _stream to emulate the use of _burst. Thank you.

Last edited:

Carbon

Okay I found another bug.. This time is much worse.

Sometimes it shows this error
Code:
of Create Event
for object objSystemController:

global variable name 'geonfx_ps' index (100404) not set before reading it.
 at gml_Script_geon_effect_add (line 6) - if !part_system_exists(ps) ps = global.geonfx_ps; //If provided particle system does not exist, use default one
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_geon_effect_add (line 6)
called from - gml_Object_objSystemController_Create_0 (line 5) - global.testMeme = geon_effect_add("particles/test meme geon.geon", -1);
called from - gml_Script_gml_std_string_hx_trim (line 11) -        var l_start=1;
called from - gml_Script_gml_func_add (line 6) -        var l_argv=gml_std_string_hx_trim(string_delete(string_copy(l_s,1,l_p1),1,l_p0));
called from - gml_Script_live_preinit_api (line 17) -        gml_func_add(string_delete(l_line,1,l_sep),live_script_get_index("__lnc__f"+string_copy(l_line,1,l_sep-1)));
called from - gml_Script_live_preinit (line 125) - live_preinit_api();
When I trace them back to your source file, I found this
Code:
#define geon_effect_add
var filename, ps, present_effect_system_ind, new_effect_system_ind;

filename = argument[0];
ps = argument[1];

if !part_system_exists(ps) ps = global.geonfx_ps; //If provided particle system does not exist, use default one
That's literally the first thing that gets called, so no wonder the system throws an error since global.geonfx_ps was never initiated at all..
Now this error only happens when:
1. I run on debug mode
I have an extension enabled called GMLive (https://yal.cc/introducing-gmlive-gml/).

But if I disable either of those, the error stops showing and everything back to normal.. But sadly I can't have any of those 2 options disabled as they're very crucial to my development.

But realistically speaking, I think it's very clear that the mistake lies on Geon, since the variable global.geonfx_ps was never even initiated in the first place. So I absolutely have no idea why it runs fine without 1 of those 2 conditions that I stated. My guess would be that in this case its just a very rare exception that allows the bug to go on, and that one day will break everything at once if let go.

So.. when can we expect the update? The previous bug was pretty bad but there was a workaround, but this one is even worse since I can't do anything as it would probably break everything if I just keep going.

Carbon

Well after a few more findings, I think my it's my extension's fault.. Sorry about that... There's a bug going on with GMLive..

:DI'm so sorry lol

M

Misty

I highly recommend that people buy Geon FX. I am not an affiliate or employee, but there are reasons why Geon FX is a good buy.

Gunner

Hello, I think I found a major bug. @NeutralD

On geon_effect_add(path, ps);

When you give your own created part system (on ps), it's still not using that part system we created when _burst or _stream! Instead it's using some other random particle system (I'm guessing it's the default one)
It frustrated me so much.

Can you please give it a look?