• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Genesis - 2D Action Platformer (Downloadable Prototype)

Sovryn

Game I've been working on for a couple of weeks. A buddy of mine did a large portion of the code (I'm a very novice programmer) but I tinkered around with variables and such to designate behaviors and whatnot.
Below's just a couple of gifs for a mock stage!

(Still needs lots of polish such as extra visual feedback when you get that "supercharge", visual feedback for the build-up of the same charge, etc etc)

Project's being worked on with bits and pieces added at a time. Hope you guys like it!

Last edited:
N

niro359

Dude, I love the art! Also looks like it plays very smoothly. I hope you're intending to add boss rooms similar to the mega man games, I know the nostalgia would make me and plenty of others excited about playing. Anyways it looks very promising, I look forward to seeing more updates buddy.

Ladi_Pix3l

Love it, the aiming controls seem fixed though. . . .KBM? or are you going for controller support only for that more SNES vibe?

Sovryn

I'm glad you all like the project so far!
This looks neat, sort of like a cross between Mario and mega Man
It's definitely Mega Man inspired for sure. In fact, Mega Man's the whole reason I've ever been interested in game design in the first place! The music, art, simple level design and mechanics just really hit home for me.
Love it, the aiming controls seem fixed though. . . .KBM? or are you going for controller support only for that more SNES vibe?
Mmm the controls right now just consist of X (jump), C (shoot) and the arrow keys (left/right - move, up/down - aim), but I do plan on adding controller support and (hopefully) customizing keys! For now though, I'm just going to focus on hashing out concepts and mechanics I've got planned in the works - like this mine with chain explosions!

I've also got the charge bar working 'optimally' and added more visual feedback for when you're ready to run through some fools.
Dude, I love the art! Also looks like it plays very smoothly. I hope you're intending to add boss rooms similar to the mega man games, I know the nostalgia would make me and plenty of others excited about playing. Anyways it looks very promising, I look forward to seeing more updates buddy.
Yup, definitely want boss rooms like Mega Man, but I want to add more of a cinematic/dramatic touch to the bosses. I'd like to make it so that part-way through a stage the boss interacts with you in some way - reinforcing their connection to the stage and also creating more of that dramatic build-up necessary in having those interactions with the antagonist(s).

Sovryn

School, life and not being the best programmer's got this project in slow development! I've not done much but you guys can check out a super rough prototype in the link here ~ https://angeii.itch.io/genesis-2d-action-platformer

There's not even a menu... but have at it!
I may throw this in collab and see if anyone wants to help out or not. I've been doing a lot of conceptualization more than I have tangible work. I can deliver on the art and design - just not necessarily the code.

Regardless, hope y'all enjoy!

N

NeZvers

Just pointing out and probably you know - crate damage animation show obvious top-left origin point (crate grow to right & down).

Sovryn

I forgot why I didn't center those z-blocks. I don't really have a reason not to...but thanks for checking it out!