• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Development General Questions Concerning Using Vectors

S

sonnyjune

I am new to this community and these forums, so please redirect me if I am going about posting incorrectly!

I recently began developing my game (wrote the plot a while back), and just wanted to see if anybody has experience using vector artwork for most of their game.
I have gone about hand drawing many of the characters and digitizing them, and I wish to use my assets as .swf vector images rather than pixel art. Both for the quality, style, and scalability of vectors.

Are there any roadblocks ahead if I go this route, and does anybody have some advice for me as I get started?

scorpafied

theres an old topic with alot of info on this topic actually. id recommend giving it a read through. alot of info youll find helpful.

overall youll get a good idea of whats good and bad about it. i dont think much has changed since then.

S

sonnyjune

theres an old topic with alot of info on this topic actually. id recommend giving it a read through. alot of info youll find helpful.

overall youll get a good idea of whats good and bad about it. i dont think much has changed since then.

Thank you for the topic reference!

From what I can tell, it looks like using .SWF sprites in GM is possible, but it can be limiting.

My game is a very basic story/puzzle game that really does not require much besides moving sprites around, collision detecting, and animating some sprites.

Knowing that it is possible to use vectors in my game, can anybody confirm if it is worth committing to for the graphics quality and scaling consistency?

Does anybody have feedback from actually using mostly vector graphics for their game?

S

sonnyjune

I'm thinking that the roadblocks for using vector graphics are not worth the effort if I am able to maintain full hand drawn quality in PNG format.

Does anybody have tips or feedback on how their hand drawn images turned out when converted to PNG's?