Legacy GM General queries about APIs

R

Rosieu

Hi everyone!

Apologies if this is the wrong spot (this is more of a general discussion query than a problem), I figured seeing as it relates to programming and the technical side of things this forum was the best spot to start!

I was just wondering if APIs are generally applicable / able to be implemented into GM:S or whether they're the kinds of things that need to be purpose built?

I'm mostly familiar with the concept and use of API -- correct me if I'm wrong but they seem to be a way of incorporating a particular framework or information source into a program -- but I'd never considered whether or not any API could fit 'anywhere', or if they were the kind of thing that had to be built in a particular way to fit particular IDEs, apps, etc.

Once again, sorry if this question is painfully general!

I hope you're all having a great day!

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
APIs that only require data transfer (analytics, etc.) can be implemented in GML alone (http_get, json_decode, etc.).

APIs that introduce additional features (ads, etc.) are implemented as native extensions (example).

zbox

GMC Elder
With native extensions and the ability to do HTTP requests, there really isn't many services I could imagine that would not be implementable in Gamemaker. I get emails all the time from people asking to implement all sorts of things and I've not yet had one that hasn't been possible :)

R

Rosieu

Ah awesome, thanks for the info everyone!

I only recently started exploring the possibilities of APIs (mainly the analytic type stuff) and I'm kind of curious to try some out!

Thanks so much for your help everyone!