GameMaker General gyroscope functionality for controllers?

Cpaz

I've been trying to do some digging on this topic on my own, but I figured that confirmation here would be good.

I'm trying to determine if there are any built-in functions to allow for supported controllers to access the gyro on supported controllers (say, the steam controller as an example), or is this functionality locked behind proprietary SDKs and exports?

For some brief context, I'm trying to plan ahead on my control models for my current project with a heavy emphasis on accessibility. With the end goal of having it be possible to play the majority of the game with a mouse exclusively. In turn, I'd like to allow for this pointer to be translated with the gyroscope of supported controllers.

Even if there are some third-party DLLs I could tinker with for testing purposes, that'd be fine for the time being. But I would like this to be accessible to PC players too.

Thanks in advance!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
GMS2 has gyroscope support for mobile devices (Android and iOS) but not for controllers, AFAIk. However, you might be able to test if the gyroscope output of a controller is being received in GameMaker using the mapping functions, as it may be getting received as "hat" or "axis" inputs or something.

Cpaz

GMS2 has gyroscope support for mobile devices (Android and iOS) but not for controllers, AFAIk. However, you might be able to test if the gyroscope output of a controller is being received in GameMaker using the mapping functions, as it may be getting received as "hat" or "axis" inputs or something.
That's a shame. Would have been neat to figure something out. I'm curious about that test mapping, though. I'll take a look at that when I have the chance.