Windows Garnintukin, a hope

C

Chungsie

So, I really have to say, that the people in this community and indie devs in general are so creative. and at times I feel like my own projects are not up to par with what the world is producing.

I have an idea for a game, about a mandrake. Garnintukin means mandrake in cherokee.

garnintukin.png this is what I imagine a breathing one would look like.

I thought it would be a fun thing to create maybe... I don't know. maybe you all can offer feedback on my idea?

I was thinking the point of the game would be for the ginseng man to explore his surroundings and locate allies and friends to help on his journey. The player would collect butterflies for health, and snakes would be an adversary.

Too generic? Sorry, I have hit a low in creative flow since switching medications...

Niels

from your description it does kinda sound generic:) maybe if you give it some awesome plant or cherokee powers that give the gameplay a unique twist

mandrake does have a lot of legends and myths in many cultures and religions

C

Chungsie

I see. I spoke with a friend to sort of brainstorm abilities. Such as, speaking to animals, summoning a birch tree to produce berries to throw at the enemy like self producing bombs that explode on the enemy and plant their seeds creating more of your kind, and being able to hide among snakeroot and bloodroot respectfully.

I feel this helps raise awareness of the fact it's going extinct and we need hunting restrictions in place within certain parts of the world. I like the idea of being able to produce ammo that becomes allies.

Does anyone else maybe have an idea based off their culture? I'm open to suggestions.

Niels

well in medieval European culture, mandrakes were seen as God's first try at making humans (since the roots resemble a human shape) and contains magical healing powers.

But when trying to harvest them for their magical powers they would produce a horrible scream that would kill anyone that hears it.

Welcome to gamedev. You're literally competing with everyone across the world that has ever made a game.

As for your game and any other game, style means more than anything. So even if on paper it sounds bland and typical... if it has a good style it will be desirable to play.

C

Chungsie

I had downloaded gms2.x for a friend's project to help on. and so I experimented last night with graphics more.PNG

I don't think there will be any humans in the game. But I will think about what kind of enemy would want to harvest them...

Genetix

Player leaves local village to gather food/resources... Comes back home and the village with family & friends has been burnt down. Evidence of high tech invasion - player embarks on a journey to seek vengeance over those whom destroyed their home!

C

Chungsie

Well I was aiming for something more in terms of extinction awareness of the plant. Mice, moles, and voles, as well as deer and turkey are natural predators to the proliferation of the species. Blite and root rot can damage the plant. So I was thinking perhaps it would involve rescuing stragglers that are in flooded territories.

The plot @Genetix has offered is so much the plot of Never Alone.

I was thinking there would be a hinderence, from global climate change and over population of certain species such as mice, that cause hardship for the ginseng. And the player is tasked to the lands and rescue his kind from the things that threaten their survival. There would be Thrusher allies to carry you from one map to the next. The tree could only be summoned if the player has fewer than 5 lives. There would be a limit of one berry per summon, and it would cost a life if the player does not hit the target. Otherwise the berry plants a seed and it grows into an extra life for the player.

Spending too much time in water for ginseng causes root rot, and seeing that you are a root, difficulty per area would be determined by the moisture and humidity of an area. Also areas high in tanic acid would cause blight for the plants. This would give a mechanic to rush through a zone, but could also hinder the player's ability to freely explore without punishment.

These were ideas I brainstormed on the downtime at work with a coworker.