Demo Gamut (action, platforms & paint)

Z

Zubaran

Gamut is an action platforming game in the vein of Ninja Gaiden, Oniken or Castlevania. It's an arcade game rewarding good reflexes and dexterity.

To reach the end of a level in Gamut, you will have to navigate between platforms and fight ennemis. You control a character equipped not with a sword or a whip, but a paint brush. With this brush, you can make strokes of primary colors : blue, yellow and red. In the demo, the enemies and interactive objects will come in those primary colors but in future levels, who knows... Beware not to use the wrong color!

The demo contains 4 levels. Most of the graphical and audio assets are placeholders. Using a gamepad is highly recommanded as the game is barely playable with a keyboard.

This is my very first game. Any amount of feedback will be highly appreciated.

Have fun!

More screenshots:

Known bugs (august 2019):
- lifebar going haywire after getting hit.
- moving platform not starting if the player jumps off immediatly after landing.
- music not resuming after unpausing.

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

It was pretty fun. I think tempo could have been little bit faster, but perhaps in later levels.
It would have been nice to have ability to attack upwards for those flying enemies.

I dont know about that flashing exit thought. (Epilepsy warning required)

E

Earth Traveler

I had fun playing the game. Had good enemy variety and some neat mechanics, like the springing swirlies and of course the color coordinating of the attacks to the enemies. It was certainly a challenge (or I suck at platformers).

The keyboard controls were a little bit hard to get used to, specifically attacking. I did get more used to them later in the game but I never quite felt comfortable with them. And yeah, like Yrbiax said, it would've been nice to be able to attack up at times.

Overall, I enjoyed it :) hope my criticism helps!

curato

I like the hand draw style. I would adjust some the color stuff and gems to match. It is a unique style to go with.

Z

Zubaran

Thank you all for this feedback!

I'm already working on the next version of the demo which should include a fifth level (introducing secondary color enemies (purple, orange, green)).

The keyboard controls were a little bit hard to get used to, specifically attacking.
I want to add a key remap system. It's mendatory if the game is to be playable with keyboard. It also looks complicated to implement, but I'll get there eventually.

woodsmoke

The background is too bright for my taste. I'd rather go with a grey and also change the red blue and yellow a bit so that they are less plain and have more "personality".