Games with duplicate titles of another game

M

Misty

So a friend of mine was working on a game...his team members abandoned his project. A year later, a game comes up with the exact same name he had planned for his game, as well as a story similar to his own.

Now, can my friend still continue with the name that he chose, or can these crooks sue him for using the name and game that they stole from him.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Since you're starting off asking a question with loaded language, I'm not going to take the ensuing discussion seriously. Long story short, yes to both questions.

M

Misty

Since you're starting off asking a question with loaded language, I'm not going to take the ensuing discussion seriously. Long story short, yes to both questions.
Excuse me for being upset at thieves and calling them crooks...

They have no right to do this to him. What can he do about this to reclaim his game.

I know for a fact that several Hollywood movies have duplicate names and titles.

SnoutUp

How is generic single-use application naming related to naming a game? Some (most?) people specifically research their game names to avoid "duplicates" or conflicts with other products. Changing a nice name which you already got used to sucks. As far as main thread questions go, I can only repeat what Yal already mentioned - yes and yes (although, pretty unlikely). I would change the name. It's not set in stone and sometimes you can think of a better title when you let go of the first one.

Also, I don't understand the situation, did the same people who abandoned the project created another game with the same name..? Was your friend working on his game all that year..? How's the story similar? Weird situation.

RangerX

Well, there shouldn't be any problem.
View attachment 2506
Just look at all of them copycats! :D
This is not a good example. "Messenger" here isn't trademarked else there would be a problem. "Messenger" is used here like a TYPE of app even if the store doesn't necessarily categorise them as so. Its a completely different thing than the story that Misty is telling.

Misty, when you create something, at least in America, you automatically obtain the intellectual property of what you just created. So this means if the first guy that came up with the story and name to it can proove he created that name and story BEFORE those new guys used it, he can win in court and the others guys will be accused of copying/using intellectual property without consent.

EDIT:
By the way, that's why when you create a document you should mail it to yourself (not Email) because this can be used as proof you possessed that document at the date its been mailed.

FREE TIP! :)

I would be intersted in seeing what project you're talking about, and the project of those "crooks" if you have any links? :)

Normally your friend has the right to anything he created first if he has dated proof of it.

Suing will probably be a hassle though, he should just contact the crooks and deal with them amiably.